If you could live anywhere...

Would you let you kids go to college in Texas at a real school or force them to attend the glorified community colleges in Montana like UM or MSU?
It's called Big Sky green or Montana envy, an affliction commonly acquired by Lone Star state residents. But don't worry, Roadapple, a few memorable trips to the Treasure State will either provide the cure or will inflict terminal-texas residency.

Would you let you kids go to college in Texas at a real school or force them to attend the glorified community colleges in Montana like UM or MSU?

Just curious, how many colleagues do you have from both?

My experience (with UM, MSU and UT colleagues) tells me there is far more to the drive an ambition of the individual than there is a name on a diploma.

Nameless Range pretty well nailed it. If you just want to go on a hunting vacation once a year, MT, WY, ID, etc. are probably not going to do it for you as a place to live.

I really like Arizona and I also really like the hunting there every time I've went. But, I wont live in a state that I cant hunt elk, deer, and antelope on a yearly basis, flat wont do it. Since I cant hunt each year in Arizona for all 3 species, I'll be happy to remain a tourist of AZ and make annual or semi-annual trips there to hunt, fish, and otherwise slum around there.

Also, I really like getting involved in the GF and public lands management arenas as well. It really is a lifestyle choice and I would only be happy living in a small number of states.

Just curious, how many colleagues do you have from both?

My experience (with UM, MSU and UT colleagues) tells me there is far more to the drive an ambition of the individual than there is a name on a diploma.

Family members form UT and MSU. I can tell you with 100% certainty the one who went to MSU would not have gotten into UT. Most people don't realize how difficult that is. For a NR ist's a 2000 on the SAT or a 30 on the ACT. Needless to say few kids from UM or MSU could even get into UT, literally a few each year.
http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/whyut/profile/scores

I was simply pointing out how poorly Montana Universities rate compared to those in Texas. I get a kick out of the people who make such a big deal about how great their state is compared to Texas. So pointing out things that Texas beats their state at is entertaining.

Montanans are actually much like Texans, just a junior version. The ironic thing is that Texans pay for more of the land those Montanans are so proud to use than they do.

It's called Big Sky green or Montana envy, an affliction commonly acquired by Lone Star state residents. But don't worry, Roadapple, a few memorable trips to the Treasure State will either provide the cure or will inflict terminal-texas residency.

This is what I was after. Let me guess, you went to one of the glorified community colleges in MT that compares poorly to those in TX.

It's actually the other way around feller. The Texans aint threatened by Montanans or envious. That's obvious by the responses on this thread for example and there is no reason to be. When they want to visit Montana they do it. But they don't' want to live there.

Aside from public land, cold weather,and ugly women MT is behind TX by just about every measure. Keep in mind those Texans are one of the highly populated states that pay for that federal tourist attraction you love so much.

I've spent time in both states. They are both vacation spots at this point to me. Both have good and bad points like all states.

I feel so jilted that I never went to college in Texas, or that I don't live there. Thanks for waking me up to the real world roadhunter. I was thinking of you tonight while watching deer, elk, moose, and a black bear in a wilderness area, and sipping a local microbrew- all after working in the office til 6PM.

Last edited:
I just love the response GH. Try rotating the pic. LOL. You got in such a hurry!!

Notice that no insecure Texan has said anything about putting a bullet in their head if they lived in MT or went to the trouble to post a out of whack spotting scope and beer pic in an affort to talk about how great their state is or gotten butthurt about the reality of comparing colleges. Yep, pretty obvious who is insecure and envious.

I love it when people make my point for me. Thanks.

What kind of office actually employs you? With the public gay bashing you do I figured you were not employable in an office at this point. I bet they are proud.

Last edited:
Live within an hour of Denver airport. Being able to fly to many other cities rather easily and often non-stop with multiple airlines competing at the airport is a nice benefit. If like liberal, look at Boulder. If prefer moderate to conservative then stay away from Boulder but there are options. Lots of hunting opportunity in Colorado as a resident. Drive four hours or less from your home and you can reach most of the quality western hunting zones. Good fishing nearby. Winter and summer activities. All the major pro sports are in Denver. College games nearby. Good hospitals if you develop age-related issues at some point.

Family members form UT and MSU. I can tell you with 100% certainty the one who went to MSU would not have gotten into UT. Most people don't realize how difficult that is. For a NR ist's a 2000 on the SAT or a 30 on the ACT. Needless to say few kids from UM or MSU could even get into UT, literally a few each year.
http://bealonghorn.utexas.edu/whyut/profile/scores

I was simply pointing out how poorly Montana Universities rate compared to those in Texas. I get a kick out of the people who make such a big deal about how great their state is compared to Texas. So pointing out things that Texas beats their state at is entertaining.

Montanans are actually much like Texans, just a junior version. The ironic thing is that Texans pay for more of the land those Montanans are so proud to use than they do.

Well, I can appreciate how had it is to get into UT. I went to the University of Washington....which rates better than UT. But, like I said its about drive and ambition. My MSU and UM colleagues (3) have all out performed my UT colleagues (2) in the same field. Which it should be noted is accounting and the McCombs School of Business at UT ranks in the top 3 nationally.

Another city of interest for the OP might be Spokane/CdA. Big enough city, small town feel with great access.

Last edited:
First time post.
My family and I are interested in moving and need advice.
We currently live in Houston, TX. As most of you know, Texas has almost no public hunting land. We would like to move somewhere where resident odds are in my favor for elk and deer with reasonable public land availability. I have a job that is relatively mobile. I would need a city of 150,000+. As a final caveat, we would need to live somewhere with a more temperate winter. Snow is fine, just not brutal cold.
If this was you, where would you move?

roadhunter, where did this guy ask what college to send his kids to?

Are you a career counselor? Or are you a professional sensitivity trainer? Where is your degree from, just so we can know how much clout you have? Did you get an elk last year? Is your wife hot? Did your parents drop you on your head as a baby?

Sorry for the crooked photo, I was on top of a ridge, hiking out, and I just got this new iPhone6 so I'm not used to browsing the internet on it. Home now, here's a couple straight ones from the evening.

Now get back to tickling your prostate, roadhunter.

Attachments

• IMG_1175.jpg
    IMG_1175.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 975
  • IMG_1179.jpg
    IMG_1179.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 975
Last edited:
Both have good and bad points like all states.
Finally, Roadie, some helpful opinion for Mengle.

My error for assuming you are a Texan. 'My apologies, Texans. After having spent some time on Possum Kingdom Reservoir and other places in Texas, I too recognize some really goods points about that state and its great people.
'Don't know from whence you evolved or where you earned your BA (Bad Attitude), but I am most proud to be a Montanan, Roadhunter. I am sorry if you do not have such healthy and positive roots of which you can proudly speak.

Anyhow, Mengle, I hope some of the banter did provide good suggestions, as well as the entertainment (such as it is). 'Best advice I can offer is to continue research and travel as you can to visit those areas recommended.

Could someone put together a Hunt Talk chart ala "game of thrones" so I can keep track of the characters , and rivalries on here. I can't remember if "House Wyoming" and "House Montana" are rivals or allies. And the Personal rivalries are getting confusing.

game-of-thrones-chart.jpg

Finally, Roadie, some helpful opinion for Mengle.

My error for assuming you are a Texan. 'My apologies, Texans. After having spent some time on Possum Kingdom Reservoir and other places in Texas, I too recognize some really goods points about that state and its great people.
'Don't know from whence you evolved or where you earned your BA (Bad Attitude), but I am most proud to be a Montanan, Roadhunter. I am sorry if you do not have such healthy and positive roots of which you can proudly speak.

Anyhow, Mengle, I hope some of the banter did provide good suggestions, as well as the entertainment (such as it is). 'Best advice I can offer is to continue research and travel as you can to visit those areas recommended.

Actually if you took the time to read the thread I was one of the first to offer advice to Mengle. But nice try.

PK is a fun lake but and there are plenty more. I tell you the fisherman have it pretty good with all that water available to fish throughout the state. But if you are willing to do a little work there are plenty of public land hunting opportunities available within a short drive.

I don't have a bad attitude. You are just better at talking smack than getting it in return. I gave you guys a little taste of your own medicine and the response is downright hilarious and quite frankly predictable. Get angry then go make personal insults about healthy roots?? or even something about a scrotum?. Classic.

Anyhow thanks again for proving my point for me and acknowledging that there are some nice places to spend time in Texas.

I think the OP has gotten some good advice so far and some places to look into. Something in Southern Colorado or around Albuquerque might be a really nice spot to plan a trip to check it out. Or better yet take a few weeks and travel the areas you are interested in living.

Back