Caribou Gear

If you could live anywhere...

At my house in Wyoming, thanks.

It sucks badly here. No one should come here. Awful. Terrible. Very cold and backwards. Yup. That's Wyoming, I tell you....

Unfortunately, because you live in Cheyenne, you are correct!:D

I would move to northern Wyoming in a heartbeat, as I already have family there. Few people and lots of wide open spaces full of critters is why I would move there. The farther that I can get from metro areas, the better I like it. But, then again, I am retired, so work is not an issue.

Manitou Springs or Woodland Park come to mind....near Co Springs. Maybe a suburb of Denver...Morrison.

Personally a move from Houston to the Hill Country near San Antonio or Austin would be a consideration. The Texas economy makes it easier to visit many beautiful western states' playgrounds...of course you have to assume the gouged (TX)NR designation

I have considered moving north, but arthritic knees make it unhealthy.

Southern Colorado would by my choice, Grand Junction would be my first choice,
Pagosa Springs I like. Western Colorado has Cortez or Dolores, are great hunting areas. I think WR mule deer came from Dolores area.

Still have snow and cold, but not devastating.

Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, any would work well. I was born and raised in Oregon and thought it was great until I moved to Idaho.

Want Temperate weather, city of 150,000 + and OTC deer and elk....

Bakersfield, CA population 378,000

Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $168,100 (it was $103,500 in 2000)
Bakersfield:

CA average: $349,400
Denver: $251,200
Read more: http://www.city-data.com/city/Bakersfield-California.html#ixzz3acC6heDk

Don't laugh. You can hunt Mule deer on the West side of the Sierra with an OTC tag in the D Zones. Might have a lot of company if you road hunt. But 20% success rates on Buck only...

Management Bull elk at Tejon Ranch $10,000. Or you could just travel to another one of the 11 Western states for 7-10 days a year.

Pencil that in and you are money ahead versus buying a home on the Front Range of CO. And you will not own a snow shovel...

* the purpose of this post was to prove that sometimes the place that fits your "criteria" is not the place you want to live.

Attachments

• otc buck %.png
    otc buck %.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 797
Exccellent point ^^^.

Also true about traveling to other states for 10 days a year for hunting as opposed to moving somewhere based on what you will do for a week or 2 a year when in reality the other 50 weeks a year should be taken into account.

Now that I think about it Oklahoma elk tags are OTC as well as deet tags along with some public land spread across the state. LOL.

If that were me, and I were living in Houston, I'd of put a bullet in my head long ago.

:rolleyes: Your comments never cease to amaze me.

Would you let you kids go to college in Texas at a real school or force them to attend the glorified community colleges in Montana like UM or MSU?

Originally Posted by Greenhorn
If that were me, and I were living in Houston, I'd of put a bullet in my head long ago.

...save your ammo, many parts of Houston are very generous with bullets.

2rocky makes a good point. Do you want the hunting opportunity or the lifestyle?

I personally would not be very satisfied to live in a congested place and escape for a couple weeks/year. If you're just after hunting opportunity that could make a lot of sense though. You'll likely make more money to afford multi-state trips, conveniences are there, etc. You might consider how important (or not) it is to you to be surrounded by like minded outdoor enthusiasts.

If you want to live a lifestyle where you can enjoy awesome places throughout the year then it's worth it for the pay cut. I have yet to see another bear hunter after three springs in WY. Last summer I hiked the Teton Crest trail on a weekend day. I can scout on a quick overnighter. I can fish cutts, shoot gophers, and xc ski out my back door. With young kids there is no way I could take the time to do the "lifestyle" stuff that makes living in the mountains great unless I lived there.

2rocky makes a good point. Do you want the hunting opportunity or the lifestyle?

If you want to live a lifestyle where you can enjoy awesome places throughout the year then it's worth it for the pay cut. I have yet to see another bear hunter after three springs in WY. Last summer I hiked the Teton Crest trail on a weekend day. I can scout on a quick overnighter. I can fish cutts, shoot gophers, and xc ski out my back door. With young kids there is no way I could take the time to do the "lifestyle" stuff that makes living in the mountains great unless I lived there.

This is a good point. If you are living somewhere and only enjoying it a few weeks a year come big game season, maybe that place isn't for you. The difference between an individual like that and many of the people on this site is that hunting isn't something that happens a few weeks or even months a year. One reason Montana has been perfect for myself is that It is always some kind of hunting season, and therefore hunting/fishing is not a vacation destination or an annual goal, but an everyday aspect of lifestyle.

To each their own, but for me it is a lifestyle I wouldn't change for any amount of money or amenities.

Whats your idea of a "little" snow and brutal cold?

Here in Anchorage, I don't think its that cold compared to some places. Dec-Feb highs are around 25, lows around 5 or so, the wind very rarely blows, and the sun shines a lot in the winter. The winter tends to be about 2 months longer than anywhere in the L48, however the long days in the summer more than make up for it. 24-hour fishing is just around the corner.

My problem with living here, is I don't have have enough time to do all the things I want do... its overwhelming... Hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, boating, etc, etc. Every weekend is a mini vacation to do things that many consider a once in a life time opportunity. I have an oversize wall calendar just to keep track of it all. Literally every weekend is booked with some type of hunting or fishing from now (camping/antler hunting) until the middle of October (goat hunting)

There isn't a state in the L48 that holds a candle to the opportunity I have here, and I've lived in MT, WY, CO, and ID. Everyone has their own idea of paradise, some call it Texas, others Montana... Its all a matter of what you want to make with what you have.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back