PEAX Equipment

Kansas Turkey Adventures

Truck is serviced, gear is bagged up, clothes are being piled : headed for your state on April 9 !!!!

WIHA maps were on the counter at Dicks Sporting Goods yesterday when I purchase my combo permit/tag.

It took 5 employees to get the purchase completed. First guy had no idea about the " new system". Second guy started and got flummoxed, so the store manager came over to power through the unknown abbreviations (LOT seems to me to equal land owner tag), but what do I know, right? Fourth and fifth guy were hanging over the managers shoulder to "see how it's done".

Checklist item completed.

OK Kansas, that is enough rain for now.

Please be nice for a Friday night scouting/hunting and Saturday morning hunting/popping the crossbow cherry!?!?!?

PS: don't forget your mushrooming bags. It might be really good with the rain, and a couple of warmer days.

Suburban turkeys...........

007.jpg

Lots of options if you had permission.......the pecan grove and surrounding horse pasture and lawns had over 40 birds all enjoying the dry warmth.

024.jpg

Kansas give kids and disabled turkey hunters a bit of a head start, and then allows archery hunters to commence one week before shotgun hunters wade into the fray. The turkeys of "my" hayfield/woodlot winter around 5 miles south of the property at a State Fishing lake. Previous years' trail camera images have shown turkeys appearing about the second weekend of April, which is usually the shotgun opener. As I now an armed with a crossbow (thanks Lynne!! https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?273757-35-years-ago-today-and-a-surprise ) I showed up hoping that the warming trends will have moved the birds back into the neighborhood a touch early this year.

Arriving with plenty of time to walk up the hill and position the decoys where I thought they ought to be, I awaited the first sounds of the day awakening, hoping to hear some tree yelping and flydown cackles. Dogs from south of me were the ones to first sound off, and then feathered friends of all types joined in the daybreak chorus. Conspicuously absent was any noise from my target birds. A firm breeze blowing and increasing, I did finally hear some yelping from the woodlot behind me, and I failed in my attempt to sweet talk her over to me side of the property.

It turns out that the only turkey I saw this morning was a big tom traveling through a small pasture a couple of miles off of my property. Keep moving north big dude, and bring forty or fifty of your closest friends with you please.

And now a confession from a rookie archer.......

The crossbow safety is designed so that the cocking is done with the safety starting in the "fire" position. Fully cocking the bow then moves the safety into the "safe" position. In the dark I failed to see that the safety was in the "safe" position as I started, so the string is held in place less than one inch in front of where it is supposed to be held (the anti dry fire position). Attempting to subsequently fire results in a resounding "nothing" happening. The bolt must be removed, the safety placed into the fire position and the string fully cocked (and the safety automatically placed on "safe").

Once it was light, I examined the position of the broadhead and then the string position in the trigger mechanism, and wondered if it was fully cocked. I once again pulled up on the cocking rope, and seeing how the string remained where it had just been, I erroneously adjudged myself properly positioned. Once back at the car, I removed the broadhead and put the decocking bolt, aimed at the grassy bank, positioned the safety on "fire" and pulled the trigger. Of course nothing happened, and then the lightbuld came on over my camouflaged hat. Properly cocked, the decocking bolt was sent into the grass and the bow placed into its case.

In the end I confess that I am quite glad that no birds came by to allow me to embarrass myself and I tell the tale to sear into my head the proper cocking protocol.

Wow, archery hunting adds a couple of wrinkles to the whole turkey hunting gig.

Carrying a crossbow is awkward compared to a shotgun with a sling.

Crawling ninja style with a crossbow is a pain in the patootie.

Wind speed has no bearing on a shotgun hunter. I passed on a 45 yard shot on a walking tom with a stiff cross breeze Saturday evening. With a shotgun in hand, he's
mine.

Thick cover means better hiding and has almost no impact on a shotgun hunter...... I can shoot through a certain amount of screening without concern with a 12
gauge. Not so much with a crossbow. Tonight I was going to have to rise up to a tall kneeling position to bring the bolt to bear on the birds filtering into the woods.

Snap shooting is indeed possible with a 12, not even contemplated with archery tackle.

I know that with a shotgun I can use a tree as an impromptu rest, using either side of the tree and shoot ambidextrously. If i'm going to use a tree for aiming support
with a crossbow, I will have to make sure there is room for the arms to expand when the bow if fired. (And I should practice left handed at a target so as to simulate a
hunting situation with my bow)

I learned that this is adding to the complexity and enjoyment to chasing turkeys. I feel like a rookie hunter again (and have committed several rookie errors already).

Tonight after work I ninja'd my way to be in ambush position as the flock of birds went off the cut corn and up to roost. Facing into the setting sun, I knew that hiding stock still in the woods would only suffice for a short period of time as the flock started down the path to cross the creek and head off to the roost. The safety was off as the birds began to head down the pathway, but the big boys were lagging behind, and the last hen to fly over the creek must have caught me move trying to find where the toms were located. The now alerted big boys went back into the corn and found a different pathway through the woods.

Firearms season starts tomorrow. How many turkey hunters have planned some time off of work, I wonder? kansasson arrives late Wednesday for an Easter vacay and I hope that some of these toms survive the opening volleys of public land hunters so that he can enjoy the spectacle of a flock of turkeys scratching, fighting, strutting, and finally coming in to meet my decoys and his shotgun and my bolt.

I had thought about taking he crossbow but I like the comfort of the shotgun knowing the bird going to take a dirt nap. Thinking of going for #2 tomorrow morning on a bird I sat up on the last 2 years. My knee replacement is well healed and if need be to run and gun I can do that where the prosperously 2 years I couldn't and he's back in the same old tree. I heard him yesterday morning and thought he may come to me but he keeps his hens close. So if I go after him I have a small island of trees in the middle of a hill that bottoms to the woods and I will set up the dekes about eye level with him. I'm thinking the Avian will get him of track.
Good luck to you and your hunts.
Dave

As I had not scouted the public lands I hunt, it was a great relief to see strutters on the field.

015.jpg

Six hens hung around out front of the decoy feeding like it was their last meal. One hen came over to check out the decoy. I feared for the decoys life as she closed to inches and had a major stare down. It seems these public land turkeys are quite progressive in their cross species tolerance, as it didn't seem to bother them that the Canada's landed out front as well, and followed in the hens wake picking up missed morsels.

036.jpg

So close, and yet so far.

053.jpg

Shotgun lethal range, but for a rookie crossbow hunter who has positioned himself poorly, safe for these birds.

061.jpg

Positioning is key when setting up. Well placed Decoy to get their attention so you can make that last second move. Still rather use the shotgun :) I did stalk one nice Tom in the fall. Heading to my tree stand for deer. I spotted him feeding in a Horse field and I have elephant grass between me and him. He was making his way to a back corner towards me . 30 minutes , he'd feed I'd move covered some 40 yards. At 15 yards I gave him the shaft. My 1sty and only CB bird.
My buddy who owns the farm said we don't shoot turkeys in the fall. I had to fess up to him. He said I would have tried that hunt myself and congratulated me. Any Anyway we have been Turkey hunting buddy's for 15 years now and will be heading to Vermont in May to hunt. I hope to to some video hunts up there.

Attachments

• IMAGE_002.jpg
    IMAGE_002.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 240
Feeling like I was beginning to understand the ebb and flow of turkey life on the public land we were hunting, we (kansasson home from San Antonio for an Easter weekend trip, and I) arrived very early at the KDWPT parking lot wanting to be the first ones to arrive, and thus able to pick our set up spot. South central Kansas had lots of rain Thursday night and we had to turn the wipers on several times driving to our spot. My mantra of "nobody, nobody, nobody, nobody" as we pulled up to the parking lot was not necessary as we didn't see another hunter field all day. Arriving at the field edge in full overcast darkness, we whispered, trying to decide precisely where we should set up.

It turns out we set up 50 yards too far west. After the downpour stopped, I saw 7 young hens walking onto the field, right where we had discussed setting up. The tom that was following behind showed up just long enough to get the heart rate pounding rapidly, and then u-turned back into the trees.

Fighting the good fight of drowsiness, Aaron and I took turns looking silly with our nodding off, bobbing heads. We finally decided that it was time to go check out the fields further west to see if there were turkeys willing to play with us. Due to the rain, it was quite easy to see the footprints left in the mud by both deer and turkeys. This huge field is guaranteed to have turkeys on it every day of the early season, as there is ideal feeding/nesting/roosting habitat all around, and this biggest field is quite a far walk (by Kansas standards) from any road.

No birds were seen on the big field just then, so we went across to the adjacent little field. This smaller field often has birds loafing in it as it is surrounded by hedge apple trees on all sides, and is therefore well protected from any wind direction, with direct access to the lake shore. Mixed in with the Osage Orange trees there are some elm trees. Thinking that there might be some morel mushrooms hiding in the detritus we paused for a couple of minutes, looking and hoping against hope, as I have yet to find any morels in this area. Finally the hen ran out of courage, and took off into the air. Noting where she seemed to take off, we later returned to the general area and found where she had been nesting.

028.jpg

We found six large eggs nestled deep into the grass. Wild turkeys usually have a clutch of 10-ish, one egg laid a day, and then incubation begins.

024.jpg

We returned to our original decoy setup, and just as we were arriving at, I saw a tom in the far off treeline. Putting on our best ninja skills, we crawled through the tall grass and shrubs that ring the KDWPT field, and prepared for the two toms arrival. They were traveling along the field's edge, and seemed to be heading right in. As Aaron is here for a long weekend, we had determined that he had first shot, and if there were multiple targets, he would make the simultaneous shot call.

Somehow the arrival of the two toms never occurred. As we sat there wondering what had just happened, I looked up and at the far end of the field we saw 5 legal birds enter the field. I yelped once to let these birds know that there were ladies on the field. Craning their necks to see who was talking to them, these superjakes headed our way. Coming in all the all to our decoys in the cut corn, Aaron and I readied for the shot. He was to take a bird on the right, I was going to target the closest/left side bird with the crossbow. At 30 yards, my bird up against the decoy, I worked to control my breathing, and reviewed the shot locations of various bird postures. One, Two, BOOM/thwack and for a moment it looked like we had doubled up for the first time with a shotgun (Aaron) and crossbow (me). His bird went straight to turkey heaven, and the bird I had targeted stumbled, and then joined its fleeing brothers exiting stage right. I found my arrow, with a complete lack of blood or feathers.

Tagging, packing and reminiscing about our days adventure, we reminded ourselves what a fantastic day it had been. The turkey was loaded onto the turkey sling, and we slip slided away back to the parking lot.

049.jpg

Thanks, Kansas!!

Congratulations Kansasdad and Kansasson. Great story and outcome. Way to get it done.

Congrats on a a couple great hunts.

I will tell you the secret to being a great archery turkey hunter is to not hunt like a gun hunter. Crossbows obviously share several similarities with gun and bow, but their ability and limitations are all archery.

You will find yourself breaking several unwritten rules of turkey hunting as you learn to be an archer. Keep the decoy inside of 20yds, preferably inside of 10. Setup is important, because at less than 20yds, you aren't afforded many mistakes. Since taking several turkeys with a vertical bow, I've learned the full choke is simply for those who are impatient. I still use both weapons, but learning to let them get REAL close really makes things exciting, but it take a commitment to learning a new style.

Congrats on some heard earned birds and a happy Easter weekend to you!

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back