Caribou Gear Tarp

Montana HD 380 - Elkhorn Mountains

Griztrax

So after 22 years of applying for this tag, my name was finally drawn out of the hat in 2014. Absolutely could not believe my eyes when the drawing results were posted online!! It's something you begin to think will never happen. Although I live in Helena and look out my back window at the Elkhorns, I had never spent a lot of time in the district and only hunted there once or twice with my kids looking for cows. So, one of the first things I did was a google search for information on this district and I'll tell you what, there isn't a lot out there. It seems like talking about "trophy districts" brings out the worst in people for some reason and is maybe considered a bit taboo.

I certainly don't want to start a huge arguement or anything like that....I simply want to offer my assistance (for what it is worth) to anyone who has questions about the district.... whether it's worth applying for the tag, what is the hunting like, did I see big bulls, etc. etc. I am lucky to have a number of friends and colleagues who helped me tremendously with my hunt. I can't even begin to thank them enough. I understand that many who draw this tag don't have the same support group so I am willing to offer up as much assistance as I can to the next lucky hunter to draw the tag or those thinking about applying. I do not claim to know all there is about this district.....heck I only hunted there one season. There are many who know much more. However I am happy to provide whatever information I can....I think that's what these forums are for.

Anyone interested can send me a private message and I will try to respond as quickly as I can. Happy New Year to everyone on the Hunt Talk forums and may your name get drawn out of the hat in 2015!

How'd your hunt pan out Griztrax?

People will call 380 overrated and they may be right, but I have about a decade and a half of Bonus Points and put in for the 380 tag yearly. Partly because great elk hunting can be found on a general tag in a bunch of other areas so if I don't get it it's no big deal, and partly because I think they are a cool mountain range.

Attachments

• Elkhorns_Breadth.jpg
    Elkhorns_Breadth.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 2,162
So after 22 years of applying for this tag, my name was finally drawn out of the hat in 2014. Absolutely could not believe my eyes when the drawing results were posted online!! It's something you begin to think will never happen. Although I live in Helena and look out my back window at the Elkhorns, I had never spent a lot of time in the district and only hunted there once or twice with my kids looking for cows. So, one of the first things I did was a google search for information on this district and I'll tell you what, there isn't a lot out there. It seems like talking about "trophy districts" brings out the worst in people for some reason and is maybe considered a bit taboo.

I certainly don't want to start a huge arguement or anything like that....I simply want to offer my assistance (for what it is worth) to anyone who has questions about the district.... whether it's worth applying for the tag, what is the hunting like, did I see big bulls, etc. etc. I am lucky to have a number of friends and colleagues who helped me tremendously with my hunt. I can't even begin to thank them enough. I understand that many who draw this tag don't have the same support group so I am willing to offer up as much assistance as I can to the next lucky hunter to draw the tag or those thinking about applying. I do not claim to know all there is about this district.....heck I only hunted there one season. There are many who know much more. However I am happy to provide whatever information I can....I think that's what these forums are for.

Anyone interested can send me a private message and I will try to respond as quickly as I can. Happy New Year to everyone on the Hunt Talk forums and may your name get drawn out of the hat in 2015!

Why not just post the pictures of your success and maybe a report of your hunt here. It's a limited entry tag and not an easy one to draw at that so what could it hurt. It's not like it's a secret area or some thing.

Welcome to HT! certainly very nice of you to join and right off the bat offer assistance to others. Congrats on the tag and I assume a successful hunt. Please share some pics and a story.

The hunt was everything I hoped it would be and then some. I hunted roughly 20 days during archery season and never released an arrow but have never had so much fun hunting in my life! And so much heart break! LOL! I wasn't particularly excited about rifle hunting and so was tickled to find a mature bull on the evening of opening day. Not a monster just a solid bull that I am very happy with. My 15 year old shot a cow in the same general area two weeks later and a young mule deer buck to boot. Was a great season at our house.

Attachments

• Bull1a.jpg
    Bull1a.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 3,069
  • Bull2.jpg
    Bull2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 2,388
  • bull3.JPG
    bull3.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 2,291
  • DSC00706a.jpg
    DSC00706a.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 2,359
Great looking bull and photos! Love that black and white shot. I am in Helena once a month and love the looks of that country! Welcome, I appreciate the attitude you portray in your initial post.

Looks like you had a good hunt. I think a lot of people put too much pressure on themselves and these hard to draw units actually become a nightmare when drawn. Sounds like you didn't let that happen and walked away with some good memories.

Great bull! my brother and I grew up in Helena and hunted the Elkhorns all the time, I always enjoyed watching the bulls during the rut. Congrats on a great hunt!

Thanks everyone for the kind words and for welcoming me to the site. I've lurked around for awhile now but obviously haven't posted much. The HT forums seem like a great place - hopefully I can contribute a bit more in the future.....and my offer still stands if anyone draws a 380 tag - just give me a shout.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back