Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Montana OTC sheep tags

Did you have the Upper or Lower tag. If Upper then we probably crossed paths a couple times.

I actually had the Lower Rock Creek tag (HD 210) that year. Both districts are amazing places and seem to be making a comeback from the pneumonia that hit in 2010 I think it was. Did you shoot a good ram? I had a great hunt and shot a nice critter.

If you ever get bored and feel like writing up a story...

I second Gilchrist's books for anyone interested in sheep in Montana. I don't think there's much more about the unlimited hunts then what's in this thread, but still a great read.

Randy - I actually wrote up my hunt and had it published in Eastmans Hunting Journal back in the Dec/Jan 2010 issue of the magazine. Unfortunately, you can't read the whole story online - just the first page or so.....guess they want you to buy the magazine. LOL. I believe I have a scanned copy of the story somewhere if you want to read it I can email the story to you - just send me a PM with your email address.

I actually had the Lower Rock Creek tag (HD 210) that year. Both districts are amazing places and seem to be making a comeback from the pneumonia that hit in 2010 I think it was. Did you shoot a good ram? I had a great hunt and shot a nice critter.
Yes, I was lucky enough to have the stars align on the second to last day and shot a ram I was happy to put my tag on.

Before we get too far off track from the OP I will agree with the comments about a hunters mental state during a hunt. I hunted 23 days throughout the season and only saw a couple of mature rams. As with most hunting, weather and time of year can play a big part. Early season the rams will more than likely will be bachelored up hiding in some nook or cranny and won't be easy to find until the rut. I would suspect all of the Unlimited units will have their quota met long before the boys even begin to think about chasing the girls. But with great challenge comes even greater reward.

Interesting, what do you believe the reason for this is. Lack of sheep in the unit during season and/or difficulty getting to them?

Both. Even the more accessible OTC units have gone unfilled. A couple big dumps makes it very difficult to access a lot of the country in the Beartooth units.

I get the point that these are not going to be easy hunts. Im ok with that and I don't mind hard work or hard hunting. On my first elk hunt, we packed into the Weminuche wilderness in CO. I
my first live ram in there in the third day of the hunt. Its one of the most amazing memories Ive had while hunting. I have no idea how big he was, but he was way past full curl!. The next day I saw 7 more like 400 yards behind camp. There were a few small rams and some ewes and kids. It was still awesome to see. With me being from Arkansas, I never really thought Id get to see live, wild bighorn sheep.

The reason I started this topic is because the OTC areas in MT are the only places in north America, that I know of, that I can get an OTC sheep tag, without spending thousands of dollars. I will apply for tags in lots of places and wait to draw, like everybody else. But until I draw one of those tags, which might be never, Ill be chasing them in MT every year until I get one. Then, Ill be back 7 years later. Even if I don't get one, at least Ill still get to hunt them. Getting one will just be the icing on the cake.

Thanks for all the info, and for sharing the pics!!!!!

SheepHunt2006169.jpg

Legal rams from one of Montana's unlimited area's, are one of the greatest trophy big game animals in the entire world.....that's just my opinion.

That's a good looking ram! Reminds me of partial line from an old cowboy song: "...and a big Roman nose."

I know this is going to sound crazy for such a small spot in country that big, but the bench your tent is pitched on looks familiar--may I send a PM suggesting a specific location; and would you acknowledge if I'm correct?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back