Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Montana OTC sheep tags

huntlife

I know in the past Montana had OTC sheep tags. Im having a hard time finding info on them, if they are still there. Can anybody tell me if there are any otc units still? I remember hearing that they were pretty rough, and had a few grizzlies too. Im not afraid of rough hunting. The bears don't bother me much. Thanks for any info.

Ok. I looked at it. Now ivegot another question. There are 5 untis with OTC tags. Unit 300, 303, 500, 501, and 502. Out of these, which is the nastiest hardest to hunt? I plan on spending a couple weeks there before season and hopefully find a couple good rams. I don6t have to have the biggest ram on the mountain, but I don't mind putting in time and boot leather looking for him either.

think you need to call in each day to make sure the hunt is still open.Last I recalled they close after a certain amount are taken.Might want a sat. phone if your planning to go that deep.Hunt I'd love to do but my body says forget it

Ok. I looked at it. Now ivegot another question. There are 5 untis with OTC tags. Unit 300, 303, 500, 501, and 502. Out of these, which is the nastiest hardest to hunt? I plan on spending a couple weeks there before season and hopefully find a couple good rams. I don6t have to have the biggest ram on the mountain, but I don't mind putting in time and boot leather looking for him either.

Huntlife, they are all difficult for one reason or another. The reason they don't have hundreds of guys hunting them is because of that. In most of the units, there are only several dozen sheep in total. There might be 5-10 legal rams in the entire unit. (I say might, some may be less). I've spent several weeks in one of the units elk hunting and goat hunting and have yet to lay eyes on any sheep much less a ram. If you do decide to do it, plan on it being a several year project before you succeed. Guys do kill some sheep, so it can be done.

kiwi hunter, yes these tags are avaible to resident or nonresident. No outfitter needed.

Gerald, Ive got one ,ore question and I think Ill have everything covered, for now anyway. Can I get a tag a couple years in a row? I see in the regs that theres a 7 year wait for the limited entry tags, but does thet apply to the unlimited units if Im not successful? I dont mind waiting if i get one, but it would suck waiting 7 years if I dont.

After reading those threads, Im more excited than ever. Im kinda hard headed. Ive got a bad habit! Every time I gert to the top of a ridge, I keep wondering whats over the next ridge.

In all seriousness, Im very stubbern and I dont give up very easy. I dont mind hard work. I cant stand defeat! Im sure Ill make a lot of mistakes, but Ill learn a lot. Plus, even if I dont find a ram, Ill get to see places that only a hand full fo people in the world have seen. Thats worth the hard work by it's self. WHEN I pack my ram off the mountain, thats just icing on the cake. I might not get one the first year, but, Ill be back next year.

After reading those threads, Im more excited than ever. Im kinda hard headed. Ive got a bad habit! Every time I gert to the top of a ridge, I keep wondering whats over the next ridge.

In all seriousness, Im very stubbern and I dont give up very easy. I dont mind hard work. I cant stand defeat! Im sure Ill make a lot of mistakes, but Ill learn a lot. Plus, even if I dont find a ram, Ill get to see places that only a hand full fo people in the world have seen. Thats worth the hard work by it's self. WHEN I pack my ram off the mountain, thats just icing on the cake. I might not get one the first year, but, Ill be back next year.

Buy good boots, condition yourself beyond belief, learn to pack light, and carry bear spray. You will see some fabulous country for sure.

Some great rams come out of the unlimited areas from time to time. Best of luck.

Best of luck. I know I don't have the mental game for an unlimited sheep unit, but some do. Not seeing a creature for 9 days makes it hard to expect one behind the next rock on day 10. Add in the fact that they just might not be there at all anyway and I've got respect for those who succeed in there. I've walked up a hill or two, and the A-B wilderness is definitely made of up.

Best of luck. I know I don't have the mental game for an unlimited sheep unit, but some do. Not seeing a creature for 9 days makes it hard to expect one behind the next rock on day 10. Add in the fact that they just might not be there at all anyway and I've got respect for those who succeed in there. I've walked up a hill or two, and the A-B wilderness is definitely made of up.

kinda sounds like deer hunting here. You can set n a tree stand for days and not see anything, But you know they are there, so, you keep trying. That's all you can do. Up there, the country is so amazing, even if I don't see a single sheep, it will be one of the best hunts of my life!!!!

Back