Hello!!!

prescott2k

My name is James and I live in the Sacramento area and am relatively new to hunting. I've only been on a handful of hunts, but have loved every one of them. I enjoy chasing everything from chukar to elk and am always looking for opportunities to get out into the field. So far the only game I've been able to bag are of the winged variety (pheasant, chukar, coots), but I am still looking forward to getting myself a few bucks! I have four children who are all very excited about hunting too so I am very excited about starting our new family tradition! I look forward to conversing and learning from everything you all have to offer!

Welcome aboard! I've been hunting for 40 years and I still learn plenty from these guys. The only thing better to learn from is actually hunting. You're at the right place.

Hello James, and welcome to HuntTalk. Pull up an chair and stay awhile.

A couple of thoughts......really cool you plan on including the family in your new found hobby/sport/passion. Make sure to remember kids are more easily tired, bored, frustrated than more mature hunters. Keep outings suited to their interests. Safety is a learned skill. Firearms safety can be a life and death situation for you and yours. Teach your family to enjoy the whole aspect of nature, whether that is a call of an unknown bird, a tug on your line of a first caught fish, or the "joys" of learning that a "30 degree" sleeping bag really means a bad night out if it gets down to 35.

A couple of thoughts......really cool you plan on including the family in your new found hobby/sport/passion. Make sure to remember kids are more easily tired, bored, frustrated than more mature hunters. Keep outings suited to their interests. Safety is a learned skill. Firearms safety can be a life and death situation for you and yours. Teach your family to enjoy the whole aspect of nature, whether that is a call of an unknown bird, a tug on your line of a first caught fish, or the "joys" of learning that a "30 degree" sleeping bag really means a bad night out if it gets down to 35.

^^^ good advice here.
Welcome to the site!

Welcome aboard! Always exciting to feel that rush of an elk bugle or the cracking of deer antlers in the distance. Best to you with the experience and certainly look forward to your photos and stories with or without game. They are all exciting experiences! I have to say I think my favorite part of hunting is sitting around the campfire in the evening listening and sharing the excitement of the day. A nice buck or elk is also a nice touch though haha! also what Kansas has to say can never be ignored. Especially the sleeping bag portion! For comfortable event always tack on 15 degrees... or more. :)

Thanks for the awesome advice! I will definitely keep these things in mind (and try to remember to not let my excitement become too much for everyone else in the family lol). Looks like I've got a early January Nevada goose hunt in my future so I'll definitely put everyone's advice to good use. Usually when I get to go out hunting I'm with my uncle and his sons and it looks like this time is no different, which is a great thing since I'm constantly learning new things from my uncle, while at the same time having a great experience. I'll let you all know how things turn out when I finish up. Thanks again!

Back