AZ late season elk

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
I was hoping Ovis2 would have told this story by the time I got home from the Nevada deer hunt, but his modesty is only exceeded by his great personality and friendly demeanor.

We filmed a late season AZ elk hunt, starting the day after Thanksgiving. Ovis2 and I had applied as a party. The episode will air on Team Elk next season. Fitting that he would be the guest hunter on a conservation show, given the large number of conservation projects he has volunteered for and the amount of work he does on behalf of wildlife.

Not sure if he will chime in and give any details, but what you cannot see in this pic is his humongous knee brace. I have seen NFL offensive linemen with smaller knee braces than he was required to wear. He blew out his ACL, his meniscus, and most other parts of his knee couple months before this hunt. Not wanting to miss the hunt, he deferred surgery until this week, choosing to go on the hunt with this very cumbersome brace on his knee. Not sure I would have the pain tolerance to do it. Climbing in and out of canyons and over rock piles is tricky enough with good knees.

In spite of that, he was rewarded with this nice bull on the third morning of the hunt. It was a bit of a grunt to get it out of the canyon, but worth the effort. He made a great shot across a canyon and this was his reward.

IMG_3394.JPG

By the time we finished packing and touching up the final pieces for TV, the typhoon rolled in, pretty much eliminating the last two and a half days of the hunt. I never even chambered a round on this hunt, but we did manage to ruin one video camera while trying to film in the mist/fog/rain.

Sharing a camp with Ovis2 is a truly enjoyable experience. And, I got to eat some musk ox from a hunt he went on last winter. Never thought I would get that treat.

Thanks for the great camp, Randy (yeah, his name is Randy, also). It was a great pleasure to see you persevere though such immobility and have your pain be rewarded with a great bull.

I suspect he is in the midst of recovering from his knee rebuild, so it might be a few days before his meds allow him to provide any commentary on this hunt.

The guest hunters definitely need to chip in with photos and stories. Those of us in the peanut gallery want to see more! Well done Randy and Randy!

Congrats Randy and Randy! Great reward for toughing it out and making the hunt happen!

Sounds all too familiar to my fall...I wore the skin off my leg with a brace but managed to fill the freezer before going under the knife. Best of luck on the knee rebuild Randy!

Well done guys. Great looking bull ovis and sounds like you punched your tag just in time with that bad weather coming...at least a few extra bulls might have made it through another year due to the bad weather!

You guys done pretty good for a couple of current or former invalids! Congratulations. I am sure that Fin's account of the story did not do justice to the amount of work required.

Congratulations to both Randys. Looking forward to the rest of the story and hearing good things about the knee recovery.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back