Caribou Gear Tarp

Whitetail for the wife trade hunt

John. Ive read all your posts and I like your style. I would be more than willing to take you and your wife here in Iowa. Ive wanted to meet other hunt talkers in person for a while. I hunt Iowas early muzzle loader deer season. I have some private land here where I live and also some public in northeast Iowa that is really fun to hunt. I have a cabin along the Mississippi River where I stay . All I ask for in trade is a fun time and to pick your brain on learning western hunting. As a Iowa resident I will need go get back to you on nonresident applications. Please let me know if you are interested. I will help you do some research on the application.

Seriously? I've been a jerk to a lot of people...lol But, this is more for my wife, but I wouldn't turn down a hunt for myself while we're at it :D PM coming your way

Duckhunt....what type of land? How many acres? I only ask because of all the posts on this thread, yours is extremely generous and I believe meets all of the requirements John is seeking. Iowa is among the best destinations in the US.

I hope it works out. I hunt big timber in MN as that is where I have the access. However, I would much rather hunt cropland in western/southern MN, which should be similar to what Iowa has to offer. The quality of whitetails shot in those areas is outstanding.......just my 2 cents

PM sent John. ewludwig I have 2 pieces of private wich between the 2 there is about 100 acres of timber and crops. Where I hunt in Allamakea county there is about 8 thousand acres wich the dnr has mostly timber but also plant crops in strips wich they leave standing all fall and winter for the wildlife. Ive shot good deer at all places.

Sounds like you're on some leads.

I can point you to some areas in South Dakota, but they require some boot work.

The numbers are down there, but still have plenty.

Don't overlook the plains in CO.

Great offer on the Iowa hunt but your going to have to wait a year or two to gun hunt there if you plan on going after a buck with the gun.You will have to get some preference points in order to draw a tag. If your wanting to bow-hunt its gonna take 1 or two more from there.

Would love to have you here in Illinois but the public land gets hit pretty hard here during the gun seasons and I don't have anything in private.

You might want to take a peek at Montana. Get a combo tag and let her hunt Elk and deer (whitetail or muley)

Duckhunt-sounds great. Hope it works out. Very generous offer of you.

John,

I would be all for the trade if I had something to offer. Normally I would at my place, but the whitetail numbers are way down.

John: I live one county away from Allamakee. Allamakee is the #1 county in the state for big bucks & in the top 10 ten for the country. #2 for B&C bucks. Jump at that offer. I would make an offer, however, everyone around here "party" hunts... so no sittin' like you wife wants.

John, here are some links for the odds for a gun hunter. For archery it takes 3 points for this unit #9. For gun hunting it's a lot easier.

All applications: 876. Quota: 600. Here is the real advantage for gun hunters... 230 bow applications were denied because of the bow quota. So if I am correct.... 876-230=646 applications for the rest of the people who apply. That makes the odds very good for the gun hunter.

406 gun apps and 390 was the quota.

Here are the links. http://www.iowadnr.gov/Hunting/NonresidentHunting.aspx
Look halfway down the page.

PM me if you need help. You & the wife better stop by and say HI when you are in the area.

good luck to all
the dog

Those are awesome odds. According to the NR doe quota, there's still doe tags available for the county for this year too if I'm reading it right. When you put in for the tag for guns seasons, do you pick a specific season to put in for, or just a gun tag and pick from there? Are any of the gun tags easier to draw if you have to pick a season?

Tbone...I live in the Plains and don't even see dead deer hit by cars in the area or anywhere close..lol

Maynard... If I get back East this summer like I'm hoping to, we're going to take 50 into Kansas and head diagonal across, we'll have to do coffee on my way through

Dog... beers and steaks!!

John, if you like a drive I have a modestly large farm in north east Ohio and plenty of tree stands and several ground blinds set up. I used to do quite a bit of youth hunts so several of the stands are of the "buddy" type. Deer numbers (kills) are falling from our all time highs of several years ago but are still quite healthy. Non resident fees not too painful. As an aside, I saw a special recently concerning the declining mule deer numbers in s.w. Colorado and the increasing whitetail numbers. the thrust of the program was promoting that region to target whitetails. In any case, you have an open offer with me.

John, for future reference you might try courting some of the farmers on either side of the South Platte East of Greeley. From State Highway 37 downstream to County Road 65 is heavy agriculture on both sides of the river and back when I hunted ducks in the area the deer trails in the river bottom looked more like cattle trails. I had access to a small farm on the North side of the river just off County Road 388 and the farmer told me that some of the farmers on the South side of the river had gone to carrying rifles in their binder cabs and shot whitetails on sight while harvesting because the crop damage was so bad. That was 40 years ago, and it's probably even worse now unless they're being hunted. Back then no one much bothered to hunt whities. There was a modest population around Byers along Bijou Creek too. Maybe soon you can get some blood on that lady's hands; good luck.

PM sent John. ewludwig I have 2 pieces of private wich between the 2 there is about 100 acres of timber and crops. Where I hunt in Allamakea county there is about 8 thousand acres wich the dnr has mostly timber but also plant crops in strips wich they leave standing all fall and winter for the wildlife. Ive shot good deer at all places.

Duckhunt-does your property border to YRSF? We could be neighbors and not even realize it!

John- if you are thinking this Iowa deals sounds good, consider late muzzleloader season. This year it runs from December 22-January 10. Like mentioned before most people party hunt during the regular shotgun seasons. They use deer drives with 5-30 people depending on the group and cover large amounts of land. During the late Muzzy season deer can be patterned to grain fields and you likely have a muzzleloader, but not a slug gun.

Gellar. My cabin is on the Wisconsin side of the river. Around the Lynxville area. I hunt north of Lansing. I do spend some time in YRSF trout fishin. Do you live in the area or have a cabin there?

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back