How bout them Ling ???

Coyotes-R-Us

:hump:
I'm thinking I need to give up a night and go fishing.
This time of year can be very good and with the "New" moon this week and nice weather It'll be the perfect storm to open the ling thing !!!:p
It has to be at night with NO moon.
Anyone else stock up on sucker meat?
I did Ha Ha Ha I got some and YOU don't
Is there another ling dinger on "Board" ?

I don't know a whole lot about "ling-dingin", but my favorite fishing of the year is the week or two after Christmas - Sitting downstream from dams of the Missouri River around a fire, drinking beer, and catching ling.

It's awesome family fishing and they are great to eat.

Rob how deep of water you fishing because there seems to be a color difference. I catch most in about forty foot of water.
My ling jig

If you're going to eat them, just don't show it to the wife before you fillet it!

Do the taste pretty good? I've never caught one but for some reason that's one fish I've always wanted to go after.

Do the taste pretty good? I've never caught one but for some reason that's one fish I've always wanted to go after.
They don't call it "Poor Man's Lobster" for nothing...

They are a fairly soft White Meat fish, a bit stronger flavor and oilier than Walleye. Kinda reminds me of Alaskan Rockfish, but not quite that brittle.

Often boiled or poached and served with melted butter.

They don't call it "Poor Man's Lobster" for nothing...

They are a fairly soft White Meat fish, a bit stronger flavor and oilier than Walleye. Kinda reminds me of Alaskan Rockfish, but not quite that brittle.

Often boiled or poached and served with melted butter.

MKotur is spot on.

The great thing about ling is you can make it taste like whatever you want it to. Boiled and dipped in butter, breaded and fried - all good. My wife has made a fish curry with cubed ling that was off the charts. Don't have the recipe at hand but this evening I'll put it up.

Attachments

• ling.jpg
    ling.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,336
Boil them in straight 7-Up. Then dip in melted butter.

Just try it!

Let's go lingin'. I've got everything we need.

Last edited:
Here's Friday's haul. I don't know if fish are really aware of weather. but it started snowing, and they started biting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 1,265
Those ling look alot like the eelpout (or maybe they are the same and you guys have a different name where you are) we have here in the Northern MN. Real good eating. We just battered and fried like any other fish. Yum!!!

Those ling look alot like the eelpout (or maybe they are the same and you guys have a different name where you are) we have here in the Northern MN.

Burbot, eelpout, lawyers, Mariah, ling, all the same thing, Lota lota.

Here's Friday's haul. I don't know if fish are really aware of weather. but it started snowing, and they started biting.

My best day (night?) ever was a solid white out snow storm. Never saw anything like it again, it was insane for numbers and size as well.

Neat! Let me share what I Cooked up last night. I took some White Perch fillets (2 pounds as I was doing a double batch). Boiled them for 5 minutes in crab boil, let set for 20 minutes and strained. I Used 2 Boxes of Crab Cake Mix, adding some chopped green onion. I made my patties and set in the fridge to firm up. Using our Fry Daddy they cooked up pretty fast and Ummmmm! They were real good everyone said. Wherever the recipe calls for crab, just substitute you fish. John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back