G'Day from New Zealand

Kiwi

Hi All, just signed up to learn more about elk and deer hunting in the USA. In New Zealand I hunt public land red deer, tahr, chamois and occasionally elk. Happy to answer any questions if you are planning to visit New Zealand. Spent a year at Oregon State Uni and keen to get back some time for a visit (and hopefully a hunt!).

Welcome. Some other Kiwis hang out here on occasion, telling hunting stories and causing to dream of hunting your great land.

Hello and welcome!

I watched an episode of Steven Rinella's MeatEater where he hunted in New Zealand. If I remember correctly he aid that once you have a license pretty much anything that walks is fair game. No individual tags. Seems like he also mentioned that there were no predator species there to worry about beating you to your kill.

Am I remembering correctly or am I out of my mind?

Kiwi, Welcome oh yee of the Southern Alps!! I often drift off in dreams of your land (not that mine is bad :) ) Would love to hear about your public land access and acerage, along with season etc. When I retire in a few years I would like to spend sometime down amongst you Kiwi. Just to sweeten the pot .... I AM an All Blacks fan :)

Thanks for the replies.

You are correct Colberjs. On public land, which there is plenty of, there are no restrictions on game - any number, species and time of year. You just need a firearms licence and a permit to hunt (issued for 4 months via a simple online request) and that is it. For private land its up to the owner to decide the rules. No predator species either. I hunt for the freezer so take at least one deer a month to feed the family.

I just got that much better!! Sounds like a man could spend an awful lot of time hunting:hump:

Thanks for the replies.

You are correct Colberjs. On public land, which there is plenty of, there are no restrictions on game - any number, species and time of year. You just need a firearms licence and a permit to hunt (issued for 4 months via a simple online request) and that is it. For private land its up to the owner to decide the rules. No predator species either. I hunt for the freezer so take at least one deer a month to feed the family.

Hi SFC B. As above public land access is easy and there's plenty of it :) No seasons, but many hunters will restrict kills based on their own judgement e.g. no females when the little ones are still dependent on mum.

This is an excellent website provided by DOC (similar to BLM ) http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/hunting/overseas-hunters/

Good to hear you're an All Blacks fan! They have a massive game in 5 hrs against the number 2 team in the world, South Africa, so hope you can watch that :) Also looking forward to the game in Chicago.

That will be middle of the night here but I will scan the tele to see if it is available for DVR. I am always up to see the Springboks go down!!! [

QUOTE=Kiwi;2384210]Hi SFC B. As above public land access is easy and there's plenty of it :) No seasons, but many hunters will restrict kills based on their own judgement e.g. no females when the little ones are still dependent on mum.

This is an excellent website provided by DOC (similar to BLM ) http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/hunting/overseas-hunters/

Good to hear you're an All Blacks fan! They have a massive game in 5 hrs against the number 2 team in the world, South Africa, so hope you can watch that :) Also looking forward to the game in Chicago.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the replies.

Hi SFC B. As above public land access is easy and there's plenty of it :) No seasons, but many hunters will restrict kills based on their own judgement e.g. no females when the little ones are still dependent on mum.

Good to hear you're an All Blacks fan! They have a massive game in 5 hrs against the number 2 team in the world, South Africa, so hope you can watch that :) Also looking forward to the game in Chicago.

That's incredible that you have that much opportunity. It's even more incredible that they can have it set up that way and the citizens don't abuse it. I can only imagine the problems we would have with that system here in the States.

New Zealand is on my bucket list of hunts. Guys can keep their African safaris. I want to go to New Zealand.

Welcome, it'll be great to read your hunting stories and I hope you let see some great pictures of your beautiful landscape!

Welcome aboard Kiwi
I was fortunate enough to spend three months in your fabulous country last year!
My oldest son is graduating for college in May and I plan on taking him there immediately after.
My current plan is 1 week on east alps, 1 week on the wet coast, then a week down fiord land with friend I made last year. One week for contingency.
Main focus will be Tahr and Chamois in that order, with reds and waterfowl with a mate at DOC

Always enjoy the stories and pics from those down under and of course our UK Devon! Welcome aboard, Kiwi! Look forward to your stories and pics.

Welcome kiwi, it's a great site here, to learn and share.

Welcome aboard Kiwi
I was fortunate enough to spend three months in your fabulous country last year!

Live free or die, did I miss your hunt report? I was waiting to hear how your adventure went? You had big plans, interested to hear how it turned out for you.

All the best for your future hunt

Welcome aboard Kiwi
My oldest son is graduating for college in May and I plan on taking him there immediately after.
My current plan is 1 week on east alps, 1 week on the wet coast, then a week down fiord land with friend I made last year. One week for contingency.
Main focus will be Tahr and Chamois in that order, with reds and waterfowl with a mate at DOC
That sounds like an excellent plan. May is a great time of year for your planned hunts. I also am planning to be hunting tahr in May on the West Coast. If you need any help just ask.

Welcome kiwi, it's a great site here, to learn and share.

Live free or die, did I miss your hunt report? I was waiting to hear how your adventure went? You had big plans, interested to hear how it turned out for you.

All the best for your future hunt

i also was wondering how your hunting turned out(live free or die)also left you a message,,and then we arrived at the start of the copland track to find a american hunter sheltering in his vehicle(it always rains on the west coast)and as darkness was upon us we had to get our sleeping arrangements in order and did not have time to chat for which im sorry as the yank pulled the pin in the night and the carpark was empty apart from us

so was that you???

Too funny. Just saw this. HGWT if I had your writing shills I'd have written a novel. Your posts played a big part in my aspirations to travel there. Kiwi hunter, yup I was that Yank. What's the odds of that? I knew the weather was turning to sh$t so I was anxious to get around the hill to the drier side and get back on it. Sorry I didn't get to chat. How did you fellows get on?

Too funny. Just saw this. HGWT if I had your writing shills I'd have written a novel. Your posts played a big part in my aspirations to travel there. Kiwi hunter, yup I was that Yank. What's the odds of that? I knew the weather was turning to sh$t so I was anxious to get around the hill to the drier side and get back on it. Sorry I didn't get to chat. How did you fellows get on?

yea got a couple of bulls for a thar virgin but the weather was atrocious,,we pulled the pin a couple of days earlier and headed to the lewis pass to be met with more rain and fog

Back