Training, Achilles tendon problem

devon deer

It was going so well, getting much fitter and losing weight.
But, after each run the tendon was getting more tender and painful, so i rested it for 10 days, only problem, getting unfit and putting on weight!
So tried a short run yesterday, today it is almost back to square one, i haven't been to the doctors yet but i suppose i ought to as the hunt is fast approaching.
Any suggestions would be very welcome!
Cheers
Richard

I burned both mine up this spring. Went too hard too fast. It took about a month of rest with only light exercise along with anti-inflammatory meds regularly to make it go away. I'm hoping it doesn't come back, it was most likely brought on due to lack of use/exercise. I think the only real solution is rest and let it heal.

Best of luck.

You may want to try some different inserts and make sure you are stretching several times a day.(after it has settled down)

Ice, ibuprofen, rest, and gentle stretching. Use a foam roller on your calves and hamstrings.

Hit the pool for your workouts if you can. Eat smart so you don't gain weight.

I've experienced the same deal this year.

I've a friend that is a physical therapist, he showed me how to "stretch and align the tendon".

Basically firmly grab the relaxed tendon between thumb and forefinger, move up and down slowly. Also twist firmly but slowly. It hurts, but it works.

STRETCH and DO What TBone says. Trust me you do not want that thing to tear.

photo_zps8ba5135a.jpg

This is almost exactly 11 months ago and I am still dealing with that stupid thing and doing rehab. The physical terrorist have a bunch of different stretching and warm up exercises to do that really help.

Nemont

Rest that bad boy! So what if you are a little out of shape come hunt time. Its still way better than barely being able to move because of a bum Achilles! They are so hard to heal.

I messed up my Achilles and they had me use heel inserts, anti-inflammatorys and stretching, was pretty much over it and broke a bone in the top of my foot. Now, I guess due to not having normal movement in that foot the Achilles is flaring up again, but both problems seem to be slowly getting back to normal. Try the stretching and light use, if it don't work go help Doc pay for his Mercedes and see what he has to say.

I'm in the same boat. I shut it down for almost 3 weeks. I'm taking it easy just walking and adding 10 lbs to my pack each week starting from 10. I should be to 50 for two weeks before the hunt. I recommend seeing a podiatrist. This is one injury that can become chronic an rediculous to manage. Also incorporate Yoga into your training. It becomes more and more crucial after each birthday passes. Kinesiology tape has helped mine as well. You can google how to out it on.

I don't know how old you are, but as we get older, we have to learn to train smarter, we just can't do what we use too, or train like younger guys do. IMO.
I use a Elliptical every other day year around for 15 to 35 minutes, with the resistance turned up on high, and starting August 1, I do it every day. up to a week from my hunt, and it keeps me in good shape for my age.
OH, by the way, I will be 62 next week.

Kevin

Last edited:
OK, many thanks for all the advice and replies, looks like rest is key, i will leave it for another week and see if things improve, combined with stretching and massage.
The tape looks interesting.
I have also been told a steroid injection can help in the short term, i might look into that if things don't improve before my trip.
The last thing i want to do is end up like Nemont.
Half the problem is as Buckykm1 states, age, i am 54 but with the mindset of a 21 year old when it comes to exercise, but the Elliptical trainer is out of my price range, i have to buy my plane ticket yet!
Cheers
Richard

One huge help is doing the foot drills which is a series of six exercises done daily. Only takes about four mins but if you stay consistent you'll have huge improvements. You'll find them if you google it. Another excellent thing to do is when sitting in a chair place a golf ball on the ground and roll your foot on it. This keeps the foot loose and things moving correctly there. Just a couple exercises that have gotten me past a variety of lower leg issues so I thought I'd share them with you all. The key however is doing them consistently. Good luck

Do Not recommend getting a steroid injection. It will make it feel better in the short run but you are more likely to end up with a scar like Nemont as steroids weaken the tendon. Pain is your bodies alarm system. Dulling the pain will lead to overtraining an already hurt part and then....KAPOW....I'm really struggling with this as well. There are several exercises that can help but also can hurt it more depending on the origin of the injury. Insertional vs medial vs all kinds of other stuff. That is why I went to my podiatrist and why I recommend u seeing one as well as this thing can be a huge PIA.

Don't know what to say. I had both mine get all tore up in Montana a couple years ago with no clue why even though it was the third and easiest hunt of the year. I think these Yoga classes have more to offer than a great back row view and I keep telling myself to try them out.

OK, thanks, i think you are probably correct in relation to the injection, in fact i have decided to take all your advice and concentrate on the exercises and ease off the training a little.
The bloody thing thing is tender though:eek:
Cheers
Richard

I climb the local hill, the "M." It's 1000' gain in 2600 horizontal feet. I used to push myself to the limit... like falling over exhausted at the top after going as fast as possible up the hill... no pain, no gain, etc. Even though I love the "pain," this year at 47 I ratcheted it back a notch. Breathing in control, carry some weight, but not enough that I struggle. I get after it consistently, but not as intense, and usually for 30-40 minutes so I still have a life (but it would be better if I could go longer and even less intense instead of reading this board all day). Occasionally I go full bore just to see where I'm at (less than 17 minutes compared to 18-19 last year!). I've always been in really good shape, but this is working better than killing myself. Not coincidentally, this is what the doctors say to do. Give it a try.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back