Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Anyone Do it with Terriers?

Just curious if some of you guys are getting it done with terriers. I didn't think I was a terrier guy but ever since I got one I love the heck out of them. I have two Decker terrriers that I take out with me. I got em to help flush deer out of some of the thick brush that I like to hunt but have turned em loose on everything; coons, possums, hogs, ground squirrels, whatever is open season. Once I figure out how to load photos I'll put up some pics
    Cheers

Looking forward to the pics! I'd love to have a dog for hunting tree squirrels, but want one that is low shedding. Have read/heard that fox terriers can/will hunt squirrels, but have yet to find a wire-haired fox terrier breeder that breeds hunting dogs.

The back story to Decker's, IIRC, is pretty interesting.

3. Default

These decker dogs shed but the hairs are quite short and stiff. I don't really notice them until I pick up a dog while im wearing a black shirt, lol. If you get a fox terrier try to get an imported dog/line. The English still have a few that hunt but not many. There are other dogs as well; Plummer, Patterdales, Jagds, and Feists. Feists were made for hunting squirrels.
    Cheers

Fiests do what I want them to and are the size we'd like to have since it'd be a house dog as well, it's just the shedding issue...

Some of the terriers you mention, specfically Patterdales and Jagds, are bad a$$ed dogs for their size. Some of the videos I've seen of them on hogs and coyotes are way amazing considering the size of the dogs.

Maybe I need to develop the Foodle. A Fiest X Poodle cross. One to add the tree hunting part and one to keep them from shedding...

5. Default

Jagds don't make good pets. The jagds need to hunt a couple times a week all year just to keep them satisfied. I don't know to much about the patterdales temperament but I think they aren't quite as serious as a jagd. They are both hell on raccoons and possums and anything under 40 pounds prolly.
    I'll pretend I didn't hear that Foodle comment. HaHa J/K
    All the Best

6. Default

I guess its just me.

Here is my Decker Molly. She is 4 years old now. She goes shed hunting with me, but I haven't really hunted her too much. She is a good hunter when I do get her out. I think it just comes natural the the little terriers. I have a standard rat terrier male that is a month younger than her. He is the same way. A natural hunter.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I have a 5 year old male standard that is hell on ground squirrels, and a 13 week male Decker that has an amazing nose, lots of energy and is always hunting something. I can hardly wait until he is following me through woods.

--Bill

jrod,
    Pictures please.

dcopas78,
    My standard goes with me on every shed hunting trip.

--Bill

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

--Bill

That's so neat!!!

12. Default

Sweet pics. I cant get the photo thing figerd out. Ill try again tomorrow

I use photobucket.

--Bill

14. Default

We have a poodle feist cross.
    Female poodle, a black male feist.
    He is now 7 years old. He sheds a little but not terrible.
    We have his coat trimmed short in August as he gets full of burrs if we don't.
    He looks poodle as he has long wavy blonde hair.
    Can't take him in the woods without him treeing something.
    Great house dog. I'll try to add a photo later.

16. Default

Name:  IMG_1385.jpg
Views: 376
Size:  100.8 KBName:  IMG_1418.jpg
Views: 379
Size:  104.6 KB

I think I figured out the picture thing maybe

Nice looking dogs. Wish I had seen one of these or knew of them. We now have a 4 year old black mouth cur. He was suppose to be a mixture of several things and have some blood line of our old other dogs. If he has that blood line it's about as much as a hair width. He turned out to be tall lanky and weighs 69 lbs.
    Fast most fluid moving dog I've ever seen or been around. Way to smart and he will hunt anything or do anything and he never forgets and can figure it out. He'd be driving but can't figure out how to open the truck door or turn the key.
    Nice dogs!

I've had a few feist that I squirrel hunted with. I have one left and he doesn't hunt much anymore except maybe a place to lay down. I've hunted curs some but they have way too much range for Georgia. If they are treed a mile away they had to run by about 50 to tree that one. I've hunted behind Jadgterriers also and they are definitely a lot of dog in a small package. The best description I've heard of their hunting style is the wake up every day with hopes of killing something. Doesn't really matter big or small they want to kill it. When they have achieved that they need to find something else to kill. Of course with our history of breeding foreign breeds they will probably be little more than wirehaired feists in ten more years

19. Default

Name:  IMG_1403.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  97.7 KBName:  IMG_1441.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  114.9 KB

I had a jack russel terrier that was a good rabbit and squirrel dog good at killing possums and ground hogs to they're vicious little dogs

I have many terriers. Most were Aeridales. A Jack russel and many Rat terriers. Great dogs. Never hunted them. Love them all.

22. Default

terriers are my favorite dogs. These Deckers are a little different too; they don't dig when they are bored. I have had other terrier dogs as a kid and they liked to dig all the time. These dogs only dig when something needs killin. They don't bark to much either unless they are on a hot track then they lite up the whole time which I love
    Down near or in Arkansas there is another good line of rat terriers I understand. Bred by a family with the last name Keyes. Similar looking but their ears aren't erect.
    cheers

Cool looking dogs. I had a fiest and that dang thing dug up everything. Off to google decker terrier now

Very nice dogs this Deckers!

I have never seen this breed here in Germany.
    My girlfriend has a DJT bitch for tracking deer and hogs after the shot.
    I think our DJT (Deutscher Jagdterrier) is the breed, which you known as Jagds?
    Great dog for the tracking but here mostly used for driven hunt.
    Specially for hogs.

Very passionate hunting dog. But also attached and cuddly in the house.
    My better half always says the dog does not need hard education only consequence ... and much love.
    I guess that and the dog is always as always and everywhere with his "pack". I think so you get a great dog for both. Hunting and family.

I just love my two girls!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Nutria; 03-18-2017 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutria View Post
    Very nice dogs this Deckers!

I have never seen this breed here in Germany.
    My girlfriend has a DJT bitch for tracking deer and hogs after the shot.
    I think our DJT (Deutscher Jagdterrier) is the breed, which you known as Jagds?
    Great dog for the tracking but here mostly used for driven hunt.
    Specially for hogs.

Very passionate hunting dog. But also attached and cuddly in the house.
    My better half always says the dog does not need hard education only consequence ... and much love.
    I guess that and the dog is always as always and everywhere with his "pack". I think so you get a great dog for both. Hunting and family.

I just love my two girls!
    Thanks for sharing the pics/info on your jagds! I've looked at a couple of breeders here in the states websites about them. They seem like very interesting dogs, just do not fit my current situation. Some of the videos of those little guys baying up pigs or coons is something. Definitely not a lack of drive in that breed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast