Caribou Gear

Anyone Do it with Terriers?

jrod

Just curious if some of you guys are getting it done with terriers. I didn't think I was a terrier guy but ever since I got one I love the heck out of them. I have two Decker terrriers that I take out with me. I got em to help flush deer out of some of the thick brush that I like to hunt but have turned em loose on everything; coons, possums, hogs, ground squirrels, whatever is open season. Once I figure out how to load photos I'll put up some pics
Cheers

Looking forward to the pics! I'd love to have a dog for hunting tree squirrels, but want one that is low shedding. Have read/heard that fox terriers can/will hunt squirrels, but have yet to find a wire-haired fox terrier breeder that breeds hunting dogs.

The back story to Decker's, IIRC, is pretty interesting.

These decker dogs shed but the hairs are quite short and stiff. I don't really notice them until I pick up a dog while im wearing a black shirt, lol. If you get a fox terrier try to get an imported dog/line. The English still have a few that hunt but not many. There are other dogs as well; Plummer, Patterdales, Jagds, and Feists. Feists were made for hunting squirrels.
Cheers

Fiests do what I want them to and are the size we'd like to have since it'd be a house dog as well, it's just the shedding issue...

Some of the terriers you mention, specfically Patterdales and Jagds, are bad a$$ed dogs for their size. Some of the videos I've seen of them on hogs and coyotes are way amazing considering the size of the dogs.

Maybe I need to develop the Foodle. A Fiest X Poodle cross. One to add the tree hunting part and one to keep them from shedding... ;)

Jagds don't make good pets. The jagds need to hunt a couple times a week all year just to keep them satisfied. I don't know to much about the patterdales temperament but I think they aren't quite as serious as a jagd. They are both hell on raccoons and possums and anything under 40 pounds prolly.
I'll pretend I didn't hear that Foodle comment. HaHa J/K
All the Best

Here is my Decker Molly. She is 4 years old now. She goes shed hunting with me, but I haven't really hunted her too much. She is a good hunter when I do get her out. I think it just comes natural the the little terriers. I have a standard rat terrier male that is a month younger than her. He is the same way. A natural hunter.

Attachments

• molly.jpg
    molly.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 1,188
I have a 5 year old male standard that is hell on ground squirrels, and a 13 week male Decker that has an amazing nose, lots of energy and is always hunting something. I can hardly wait until he is following me through woods.

--Bill

BIllsantlers249.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sheds.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0333.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ShedPack.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Mickeyand6X6set.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

--Bill

Sweet pics. I cant get the photo thing figerd out. Ill try again tomorrow

We have a poodle feist cross.
Female poodle, a black male feist.
He is now 7 years old. He sheds a little but not terrible.
We have his coat trimmed short in August as he gets full of burrs if we don't.
He looks poodle as he has long wavy blonde hair.
Can't take him in the woods without him treeing something.
Great house dog. I'll try to add a photo later.

Nice looking dogs. Wish I had seen one of these or knew of them. We now have a 4 year old black mouth cur. He was suppose to be a mixture of several things and have some blood line of our old other dogs. If he has that blood line it's about as much as a hair width. He turned out to be tall lanky and weighs 69 lbs.
Fast most fluid moving dog I've ever seen or been around. Way to smart and he will hunt anything or do anything and he never forgets and can figure it out. He'd be driving but can't figure out how to open the truck door or turn the key.
Nice dogs!

I've had a few feist that I squirrel hunted with. I have one left and he doesn't hunt much anymore except maybe a place to lay down. I've hunted curs some but they have way too much range for Georgia. If they are treed a mile away they had to run by about 50 to tree that one. I've hunted behind Jadgterriers also and they are definitely a lot of dog in a small package. The best description I've heard of their hunting style is the wake up every day with hopes of killing something. Doesn't really matter big or small they want to kill it. When they have achieved that they need to find something else to kill. Of course with our history of breeding foreign breeds they will probably be little more than wirehaired feists in ten more years

I had a jack russel terrier that was a good rabbit and squirrel dog good at killing possums and ground hogs to they're vicious little dogs

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back