Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Petition: return of grizzly bears to the West

I doubt the Center of Biological Diversity has the same thought I do in mind... But an expansion of the grizzly population in new areas they listed, as well as population increases in the states they are already in... could we see a delisting and possible hunting seasons in the next 5-10 years?

I doubt the Center of Biological Diversity has the same thought I do in mind... But an expansion of the grizzly population in new areas they listed, as well as population increases in the states they are already in... could we see a delisting and possible hunting seasons in the next 5-10 years?

For the Yellowstone & NCDE populations, we're already headed down that path. Agencies at the state and federal level are getting ready to issue a delisting decision, which is why the efforts of the Inter-agency Grizzly Bear Committee are so important. So are maintaining our approved management plans.

And for the record - If California wants to have a grizz on their flag, they should have them in their state too. ;)

For the Yellowstone & NCDE populations, we're already headed down that path. Agencies at the state and federal level are getting ready to issue a delisting decision, which is why the efforts of the Inter-agency Grizzly Bear Committee are so important. So are maintaining our approved management plans.

And for the record - If California wants to have a grizz on their flag, they should have them in their state too. ;)

Does this mean that delisting is dependent on Grizzles being introduced in other areas. Introducing them to NM is a bad idea and having pocket populations so they migrate is from place to place is even worse. Can't image having grizzlies migrating back and forth between the Gila and Grand Canyon. California can have them, I suggest San Francisco, Sacramento and LA.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=30...ing-number-of-grizzlies-in-west&s_cid=queue-1

Does this mean that delisting is dependent on Grizzles being introduced in other areas. Introducing them to NM is a bad idea and having pocket populations so they migrate is from place to place is even worse. Can't image having grizzlies migrating back and forth between the Gila and Grand Canyon. California can have them, I suggest San Francisco, Sacramento and LA.

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=30...ing-number-of-grizzlies-in-west&s_cid=queue-1

No. Delisting is based on distinct population segments. Right now there are two: Greater Yellowstone & Northern Continental Divide. CBD is arguing that bears shouldn't be delisted because they are not restored to a significant portion of their historical range. Meaning: they want them all over. It's not a strategy I can see working.

I know that griz do not proliferate like wolves, but has there been any evidence of these two distinct population segments interacting?

In 2007, a very large griz was hit and killed by a vehicle in Lincoln Montana while crossing Highway 200. There is nothing between Lincoln, and Macdonald Pass to the south but 30 miles of National Forest along the spine of the Nevada Mountains. Keep in mind this was 7 years ago, and griz have been doing pretty well in the meantime.

Despite FWP insistence that there won't be griz in the Highlands and Tobacco Roots. I would bet they travel into and through them frequently. There are solid griz populations in the Gravellys and Greenhorns, and the only thing separating those ranges from the Tobacco Roots is a very lonely Highway 287, in the form of 30 feet of asphalt. And clearly, Griz cross roads.

There have been occasional griz documented in the Pintlers.

So, from Macdonald Pass to the northern reaches of the Tobacco Roots and the Boulder/Jefferson Valleys is 50 miles of National Forest and two highways. From Macdonald Pass to the Pintlers is 35 miles of woods and one highway.

My take is that I wouldn't be surprised to see a grizzly anywhere west of the Little Belts.

I hope we can hunt them sooner than later, and I would love to see them wandering the Elkhorns and the Boulder Mountains. They would just need to get past the ranchers of the Jefferson and Boulder Valleys, and that would not be easy.

I know that griz do not proliferate like wolves, but has there been any evidence of these two distinct population segments interacting?

In 2007, a very large griz was hit and killed by a vehicle in Lincoln Montana while crossing Highway 200. There is nothing between Lincoln, and Macdonald Pass to the south but 30 miles of National Forest along the spine of the Nevada Mountains. Keep in mind this was 7 years ago, and griz have been doing pretty well in the meantime.

Despite FWP insistence that there won't be griz in the Highlands and Tobacco Roots. I would bet they travel into and through them frequently. There are solid griz populations in the Gravellys and Greenhorns, and the only thing separating those ranges from the Tobacco Roots is a very lonely Highway 287, in the form of 30 feet of asphalt. And clearly, Griz cross roads.

There have been occasional griz documented in the Pintlers.

So, from Macdonald Pass to the northern reaches of the Tobacco Roots and the Boulder/Jefferson Valleys is 50 miles of National Forest and two highways. From Macdonald Pass to the Pintlers is 35 miles of woods and one highway.

My take is that I wouldn't be surprised to see a grizzly anywhere west of the Little Belts.

I hope we can hunt them sooner than later, and I would love to see them wandering the Elkhorns and the Boulder Mountains. They would just need to get past the ranchers of the Jefferson and Boulder Valleys, and that would not be easy.

The hair traps that volunteers have been setting along the spine of the divide show that connectivity is getting closer everyday. We've seen Grizz in Elk Park, just north of Butte & I'm positive they're in the Belts. For crying out loud - they're up on the Marias and have been found as far east as Loma (Proving once again that everyone loves Montana grain).

While we all see the expansion of bears and know they're out there, the USFWS has a bit more stringent requirement than just hunter reports (It's not really about numbers, it's quantifiable numbers that will withstand litigation - that's why data has to be air-tight).

As habitats fill up, "nature finds away," and those bears search out new places to live. I'm a little surprised we've not had grizzly bears down in the gulches south of Helena due to all the garbage and chickens.

I have heard reports of them in the northern Big Belts. Little Belts I have heard stories of someone seeing one but no hard evidence unless someone else has something to add. However, I have seen the typical food storage/bear resistant container required note on the travel maps someone was kind enough to put on our windshields a few years ago. Maybe they are just playing it safe since black bear can still be curious and dangerous. I have been watching the grizzly/black bear hatch in the regulations for years and its been creeping east quite a bit.

The hair traps that volunteers have been setting along the spine of the divide show that connectivity is getting closer everyday. We've seen Grizz in Elk Park, just north of Butte & I'm positive they're in the Belts. For crying out loud - they're up on the Marias and have been found as far east as Loma (Proving once again that everyone loves Montana grain).

While we all see the expansion of bears and know they're out there, the USFWS has a bit more stringent requirement than just hunter reports (It's not really about numbers, it's quantifiable numbers that will withstand litigation - that's why data has to be air-tight).

As habitats fill up, "nature finds away," and those bears search out new places to live. I'm a little surprised we've not had grizzly bears down in the gulches south of Helena due to all the garbage and chickens.

There have been sightings of two different Griz on the divide between Wisdom Montana and Leadore Idaho. One is a sow with an orange collar and two cubs. But don't try to verify it with F&G........you know the story.

I have been hearing a lot of talk about grizzlies in the Bernice area north of Butte the last couple years. We seen tracks while bow hunting up by Thunderbolt mountain several years ago.

I heard from a few different people last summer of a grizzly hanging out on Fleecer south of Butte. One guy I talked to says he spooked the griz while hiking up there and showed me pictures of the tracks on his phone. Couple years ago in the spring I heard there was a griz spotted out on the game range on Fleecer.

Also heard of a griz roaming around by Seymour lake in the Pintlers last rifle season.

I guy I know that use to work around the Georgetown Lake area said FWP has trapped several grizzlies in the Georgetown area the last few years.

FWP trapped and killed a grizzly that was raiding bee hives just outside of Deer Lodge a couple years ago.

About four years ago I was up by the lookout tower in the Highlands by Butte and found an area around a tree the ground was all tore up and a bunch of brown hair on the tree. I took some hair off the tree and took it the FWP office and showed the biologist. He said it was defiantly bear hair but he couldn't say what kind of bear. He took my name and number and said he would call me and let me know know what kind of bear it came from after he could examine better. I never heard a word from the guy so I figured it was grizzly hair.

I want them in Colorado!
Crowd control and to scare or feast on the idiot crew that is moving here.
Let's
Rock!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back