Montana unit 652 buck tag

mlnelson

I drew the buck tag for 652! Now I am looking for any info. I can get. I have been hunting in the breaks for over 10 years but I have never been that far east. What should I hold out for?Where should I start looking. I have a boat and I'm not afraid to hike. Thanks!!

I agree with Wingman1 if you see a 160 you prob better shot him in that unit. Not sure if the numbers are down in that unit like the rest of the breaks I assume they are.

Numbers are still way down from the winter of 2010-2011. Just go out and enjoy your hunt. Quality will not be great but due to the limited permits it won't be as crowded as other areas in the Breaks can be. I wouldn't be afraid to pass a 160, but I wouldn't be afraid to eat the tag after looking for something bigger.

I have had the tag 4 times in the last 11 years and my Dad had it three years ago.Fun hunt. I cant tell you how many times I have run into hunters with a general A tag hunting in 652. Most people don't have a clue its a permit area and as mentioned above there is a poaching problem. Mainly from boaters.. With that said I have also been all over the area and would like to share some info. on the area. I noticed you are in SW MT. where at?

I drew that tag also! I was super excited but reading this it doesn't sound like there is much trophy bucks there. I would be happy with 160 as that would be the biggest buck of my life. Is there any place to camp nearby? Where would be a good place to focus on? Mlnelson I'll be making some scouting trips soon, when the season opens ill be taking a weeks vacation.

I drew that tag also! I was super excited but reading this it doesn't sound like there is much trophy bucks there. I would be happy with 160 as that would be the biggest buck of my life. Is there any place to camp nearby? Where would be a good place to focus on? Mlnelson I'll be making some scouting trips soon, when the season opens ill be taking a weeks vacation.

Are you hunting only the opening week? Just my 2 cents but I wouldn't even think of going until the 15th of November - big boys will come out seeking girls

I don't know when I'll be going exactly. I want to take my wife out, it's her first year hunting and I've been trying to get her to go for years! So I think that's smart, to get out in the rut. Mid November?

In My experience, peak Mule Deer rut in Central and eastern MT tends to center about a week before Thanksgiving. If I had a week to take off, I'd take the week prior to Thanksgiving week. That would be the week of Monday 11/17/14. Just my thoughts...

My magic date for the mule deer rut in eastern Montana is Nov 16th, so very close to the above suggested date. I've never been able to figure out why unit 652 is considered a trophy unit by some people. The bucks there don't seem any more special than anywhere else in the state.

In My experience, peak Mule Deer rut in Central and eastern MT tends to center about a week before Thanksgiving. If I had a week to take off, I'd take the week prior to Thanksgiving week. That would be the week of Monday 11/17/14. Just my thoughts...

Yes exactly correct . Going any sooner decreases your odds of shooting a big one in my opinion . I prefer thanksgiving week , seems like there's very few hunters and lots of deer moving :) Oh and it gets me out of thanksgiving with the in laws :)

Don't sleep on Halloween weekend and the first couple days of November. Every year I run into a bruiser around that time. Keep us updated on how the scouting and hunt goes. Good Luck!

My magic date for the mule deer rut in eastern Montana is Nov 16th, so very close to the above suggested date. I've never been able to figure out why unit 652 is considered a trophy unit by some people. The bucks there don't seem any more special than anywhere else in the state.

I just assumed it was. Not real familiar with the unit. But I'm very excited about hunting it! Thanks for the suggestions! Is there an access problem later in the year like gumbo?

I just assumed it was. Not real familiar with the unit. But I'm very excited about hunting it! Thanks for the suggestions! Is there an access problem later in the year like gumbo?

Depends on whether or not the ground is frozen. If it isn't frozen and it rains then the gumbo is as bad as anywhere else out there. The road into Rock Creek is an all weather road though so if you want to use a boat then the roads won't matter much.

Nemont

Well I have vacation scheduled for the week before thanksgiving, I don't have a boat so I'm going to get up there a few times so I can try to pattern the does. Anyone know if closer to the water is better? Do you need a boat?

http://www.fws.gov/refuge/charles_m_russell/

This link may answer some questions. If its wet get out your time frame should be pretty chilly by that time ground may be frozen. Get you a good refuge map from CMR office. Get feet on the ground and scout I have never found a pattern to those breaks deer much. Here one day gone the next type thing. Some places to stay around Fort Peck area otherwise it's camping or a haul into Glasgow to stay. We have camped at The Pines before nice lil place if camping several hunters in there usually camping. It's not really a hard hunt just be aware numbers are down and I think a 170 would be a great deer out of there but unit is very accesible even if wet with all weather road or two in the area.

Opening day a few years ago. Shot it because he was bigger than anything I had at the time. Always wondered if I should have shopped around a little longer. I have gotten better at the solo field shots.

Attachments

• muley 2-1.jpg
    muley 2-1.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 5,173

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back