OYOA Turkey - first and last

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Some people are turkey hunters, and some are not. I fall into the "Not" category. Below is a link to the only turkey episode we have ever filmed. When you see how inept I am at public land turkeys, you will see why.

http://www.carbontv.com/videos/BtNmMwZTrTSkzynFThO-e3gdiamEDep6

This hunt was on the Custer National Forest in SE Montana. Jereep, here on Hunt Talk, is a very experienced turkey hunter. He has shot more than I have probably ever seen. Even his talent was barely enough for us to finally kill a turkey on camera.

The funny irony is that this episode was nominated as a finalist for the "Best Turkey" episode at the awards show. I am sure the southern boys who excel at turkey hunting were giving funny looks when they heard some Montana guy was competing for the award. I think the nominating panel felt sorry for us.

Since it is turkey season in most the country, thought I would post this one up. Upon watching, you will see why I stick to spring black bears.

IMG_3624.JPG

Thanks, just watched it, every day hunting is a good day, but turkey hunting, sorry i am also in the 'not' camp, or am i missing something having never done it myself?
Cheers
Richard

I got a kick out of this episode! Looked like a "Best Turkey" episode to me. Did have to shake my head a little bit when you headed out with your bow at first. :D

Personally I enjoy turkey hunting, but sort of lean toward being a fair weather turkey hunter. When spring rolls around, it's fun to get out for some armed hikes when the weather is nice, look for some sheds, look for some morels, hopefully hear some turkeys and get a chase, then if you're lucky have one come in for a shot opportunity. After seeing this episode, that's the style I would recommend for you too. ;)

Loved the episode.....I love to Turkey hunt and have chased them for many years over thousands of miles....stay with it Fin....You just might get by the turkey bug.....:cool:

Watching a Turkey hunt on Tv...not my idea of a good time.

Calling a tom who is thunderin' back atcha, is a lot of fun. Had some real up close and personal encounters with toms last year.

Turkey hunting is pretty accessible around here on Suburban/rural residential parcels with landowners tired of turkey manure all over their lawns and feedbunks. It is a hunt I can do in the morning and still get something done.

I doubt I would travel for a Turkey hunt, but as a target of opportunity, sure...

I've got to go hunt something in SE Montana, that country is just so pretty. Everytime I see a show there it just calls out to me....not like most places don't, but it just seems to be something special. Hopefully, deer populations can recover and I can get out there one November.

Randy, You made it look to hard! You were absolutely correct tho, western hunting is big country. They aint canned up on a 500 acre ranch like back east or down south where there are birds just everywhere. With being off work with shoulder surgery I been watchin alot of huntin shows. The Turkey ones mostly make Me sick. Bird after bird coming by Your blind, and You can shoot several. That aint how it is out west. And it is still one of My favorite hunts. You did it the right way tho,even tho You had to work. Out west at least You can enjoy the Mtn's. and scenery . I might have to shoot em with a camera this year , we shall see.how I heel in the next 3-4 weeks. Thanks for the real entertainment.......BOB!

Randy, You made it look to hard! You were absolutely correct tho, western hunting is big country. They aint canned up on a 500 acre ranch like back east or down south where there are birds just everywhere. With being off work with shoulder surgery I been watchin alot of huntin shows. The Turkey ones mostly make Me sick. Bird after bird coming by Your blind, and You can shoot several. That aint how it is out west. And it is still one of My favorite hunts. You did it the right way tho,even tho You had to work. Out west at least You can enjoy the Mtn's. and scenery . I might have to shoot em with a camera this year , we shall see.how I heel in the next 3-4 weeks. Thanks for the real entertainment.......BOB!
Hey Bob.....If tough hunting is your thing try coming to NY and try your hand at Turkey hunting here on public land....I'm sure you will see there aren't many big ranches here with loads of birds running rampid......:cool:

Fin, just maybe you should try one more time. Red Lodge has a proliferation of turkeys and needs someone to help thin the flock.

LI YANKEE, I luv public land , thats all we have in AZ. And yes You gotta work for them. IV'E hunted PA. 4 times for Birds and theres plenty down There.. Don't know if You understood My post . I will hunt public any day any where. Give Me big country not 500 acre farms that are all set up.......Good luck. Hope You do well.......BOB!

Great scenery! I hunted turkeys in New Mexico for several years when I lived there. They are no pushover on public land and in areas where they are not super thick like they are in many parts of the U.S. That jake is a trophy where you got him. Fooling any tom is a pretty neat way to spend a spring day.

I think that the spring bears would be more fun, though.

Cool episode Fin! Watched it for the first time last night on Carbon.

BTW, I really enjoy watching all the shows on Carbon TV. Good move.

Back