Kansas Anyone?

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
With the Kansas deer deadline coming up soon, thought you might want to watch this online hunt of Spitz and I hunting whitetails in the Walk-In Hunting Areas of west-central Kansas.

Amazing how much ground is enrolled in this program in Kansas. All of it is open to public hunting, with one caveat - you must walk in. No motorized access.

Click here ----->. http://www.carbontv.com/videos/lnNmMwZTqrBJsbgthoI38BReFK1Vphon or on one of the pics below.

Spitz is a ton of fun to hunt with. Always able to see the good of a gloomy situation. Always laughing and willing to hike the extra mile.

I am excited to see the Wyoming elk hunt from last season, where Spitz once again allowed me the shot on a representative animal, rolling the dice for his own opportunity and again coming up with a really good critter to hang his tag on.

IMG_0125.JPG

Thanks Spitz. Hope you all enjoy this one and decide to go and do that hunt someday.

IMG_0214.JPG

I was in west central Kansas last year as well and saw some great deer. Lot of good public land like you mentioned. Just a little far for me for a weekend trip or else I would make the happen often.

Just points this year...again, but a deer and rooster trip is in the works in the next year or so.

Yeah probably not what Kansas people want huh? Has disease affected any part of Kansas?

General consensus is that the deer herd has had pockets of EHD loss and the drought/near drought conditions of the last several years had reduced herd numbers and quality. OTC permits for antlered will remain the same for residents. Antlerless numbers have been reduced in number and areas are less for "extra" antlerless tags.

That being said, they allow OTC antlerless for non residents, have long archery (including crossbow) seasons and generally have some really outstanding bucks hanging around.

In the western 1/3 of the state there are some really cool mulies taken every year. (Check out HuntTalker Brisco threads)

I have skipped Kansas the last two years and again this year, as the local I know have told me the drought in that part of the state has been so bad that the fawn crops have been negatively impacted.

I will be back again, probably next year. It is just too much fun to not do this hunt as often as conditions and schedules allow.

After a couple of really bad years from the drought I was really encouraged by what I saw this past season and hope the recovery continues. There are some areas that have seen no relief and may be a couple years away from producing quality and quantity.

The WIHA program is great and provides some really really good opportunities for the DIY hunter.

I do Kansas every year. Look forward to that hunt all year long. This past year looked like the deer herd was improving in the area we hunt. Just hope the pheasants improve too...

I do Kansas every year. Look forward to that hunt all year long. This past year looked like the deer herd was improving in the area we hunt. Just hope the pheasants improve too...

Pheasants were very bleak last year, I'm thinking it going to take a couple years to show improvement and that is as long as we get moisture.

I would love to see Kansas take a aggressive role in rebuilding the pheasant population including restocking programs and paying Kansas farmers to raise and release birds.

kansas0172lr_zpsd7380eb1.jpg

I'll be back! Some great bucks in Kansas and a lot of opportunity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back