Caribou Gear

Best Muzzleloader (Colorado) for Elk!!!

F

fwagner

I've saved my preference points and this coming fall I should have enough to finally draw a muzzleloader tag for elk. I would appreciate any and all suggestions on which brands of muzzleloaders are best. Which ones hold up to the changing conditions? Prices? And what is everyone's comfortable shooting range seeing that scopes can't be used in Colorado. Thanks.

Go with a 50 caliber muzzleloader, it is basically the standard, and has the most bullets and accessories available, and is a great elk and deer caliber.

I believe the best "multi-state muzzleloader" is the Knight Disc Extreme since it can be equipped with the optional "western" kit to hunt states that require open ignition and musket or percussion caps. it is a bolt style rifle, so there are more parts to deal with when cleaning. The advantage being you can muzzleloader hunt in nearly all western states with this muzzleloader.

For Colorado only, I do not believe you have these restrictions. The most simple and reliable muzzleloaders I would go with a break action muzzleloader. They are by far the easiest to clean and maintain. They are light and fast handling. I like the CVA Accura, it is a super muzzleloader. I have heard that Thompson Center also makes a great break action rifles.

Since you need to use open sights, I would go with the Williams FP peep sights for the rear sight and the XS Sights white line "partridge" front sight. With this front sight there is a fine white line that is easy to pick up in various lighting conditions. You also do not cover your aiming point with this sight. Bead type front sights can cover a considerable amount of the target at 100 yards. I typically only lose 1" of accuracy at 100 yards shooting this sight set-up at 100 yards versus a scoped muzzleloader. I don't like fiber optic front sights since they have the problems of a bead type sight and can be difficult to use in certain lighting.

For powder, Blackhorn 209 is the leading powder by far. Typically 80 to 120 grains by volume.

For 209 primers, Fiocchi makes a great primer. There is a balance of properly igniting your powder properly and the primer having too much oomph that it unseats the bullet off the powder before the powder ignites. Fiocchi's usually work great.

For bullest go with No Excuses 460 grain pure lead bullet (50 cents a bullet), or the Thor all copper bullet.

The No Excuses can be ordered on-line. The heavy bullet will retain energy well at extended range. Also the heavy long bullet stabilizes well and is typically the most accurate in most of today's muzzleloaders. Since most muzzleloaders have a fast twist shallow rifled barrel designed to shoot sabots (illegal in Colorado), a long heavy bullet typically is the most accurate out of these sabot barrels. The No-Excuses is also a die sized "slip fit" bullet and pre greased, so they are easy to load.

The Thor is a Barnes copper style bullet and you need to order the exact bullet size for your specific gun. Call Thor and get a test pack to determine the exact size you need. They come in 0.001" increments to insure you find the correct fit for your specific rifle.

With practice you should be shooting 100-150 yards. Accomplished open sight shooters are occasionally effective to 200 yards.

For practice, I personally have equipped a Ruger 10/22 with the same sights as my muzzleloader so I can shoot hundreds of shots with the same sight picture.

I too am thinking of burning 22 points on a Colorado muzzy elk hunt this fall!

Here are a few of the websites:

http://www.knightrifles.com

http://www.muzzleloading-bullets.com

http://www.xssights.com

http://www.thorbullets.com

http://www.blackhorn209.com

Last edited:
Go with a .50cal Knight and put whatever scope you want on it or open sights. I'd say screw Colorado and hunt elk with it in MT, we've got a much longer season, tags are about a guarantee, no points needed, and some great hunting for you with your muzzleloader. :D

No way would I spend that much on a muzzleloader, wow!!! I'm sure they are great rifles but I would rather increase my skill as a hunter and get closer than spend 5 tags worth on a muzzleloader!!! And I don't want to hunt in Montana, not till they lower there ridiculous tag fees. That place is turning into a rich mans paradise both in and out of the woods!

I went with the CVA Acurra V2 in stainless. Hornady FBP 350's and Blackhorn 209.
Awesome rifle and didn't break the bank, it shoots 3" groups at 200 yards all day long. Can't imagine what it would do with a scope on it.

No way would I spend that much on a muzzleloader, wow!!! I'm sure they are great rifles but I would rather increase my skill as a hunter and get closer than spend 5 tags worth on a muzzleloader!!! And I don't want to hunt in Montana, not till they lower there ridiculous tag fees. That place is turning into a rich mans paradise both in and out of the woods!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a deer and elk tag in CO is $351 + $586 = $937 for 11 days of hunting.

MT is $989 for 80 days (44 archery / 36 general)

I'll take 80 days with date and weapon flexibility all day long.

What Umpqua said x2.
We can't use 209 primers here in Idaho, so I'm not sure about what powder is best for them, but I can concur that everything else he mentioned is very sound advice.

Check out the new Knight Ultra-Light. Sweet little rifle and not a lot more than the rest of their line up. If I didn't have 3 already, I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Thats why I mentioned it all depends on your budget. I cant even come close to playing that game but if I could I would. Just threw it out there. There are a lot of other great muzz. options. For a non res. hunter Mt. offers a great deal for your money as Mr Young pointed out. And Mr Cushman also made a very good point. If you dont haver elk where you live you have to pay to play and for less than a grand Mt offers a lot. ....:cool:

Last edited:
I think CO has a restriction on the ratio of bullet diameter to length. Might be worth checking before select the bullet as some will not be in compliance. I had to remove the plastic "nose cone" to make my bullets legal on a deer hunt there 5 years ago. Law may be different now.

I've been real happy with my .50 cal Thompson Center Firestorm. Mine is a flint ignition, but they are also available in a traditional percussion system as well.

A9641A28-FF73-46C5-BACF-E96F678CFD23-4994-0000048C5E07F60D.jpg

look at the colorado rules closely//they are pretty restrictive,similar to oregons rules,,,I like my lyman great plains .54 hunter barrel with the 425 greatplains conical,777 powder and #11 caps,i know i can shoot this combo in all states,,,and yes it will shoot 200 plus yards with some hold over needed,practice whatever combination you choose and be proficient with it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back