Cold enough? - North Dakota mule deer

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
With this cold weather, it got me thinking about the coldest hunt if my life - western North Dakota mule deer with Buschy. It was brutal. But, watching it makes me think about how fun it was and how I would like to do do it again ........ in September. ;)

If you want to watch the episode online, here it is. It will not warm you up, yet it will give you and idea of how brutal conditions can been when hunting in North Dakota.

Click here to watch ------> North Dakota mule deer episode

If you think Buschy and I were cold, you should have seen the brutality it imposed on Troy, the camera guy. Buschy does this every year, which speaks to his toughness or lack of intelligence.

And to think that during our time there, Dinkshooter and KHunter were out there camped in a wall tent. What does that say about them?

If you want to read the entire story of the hunt, here it is as the hunt was unfolding. ---------> http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=242943

Buschy is one of the best archery mule deer guys I know. I was thankful he invited me along on this hunt. Not sure he wants cameras imposing on his hunt again.

IMG_4911.JPG

my teeth were chattering just watching you guys. nice hunt. another thing I enjoy is you get to put faces to names that you read about all the time on hunt talk.. Thanks

I remember that episode very well and it did make me cold just watching it (really). Not a chance am I going to revisit it today when we have -15 wind chills right now.

As to Dinkshooter and KHunter when I read their post on that hunt I was completely impressed.

I bailed out of doe camp yesterday after filling one tag to wait for fairer days.

I happened to watch that episode last night. This morning brushing the snow off my truck in sub zero temps and severe sub zero wind chill I thought, "This is the stuff Fin hunted North Dakota in! Yup, I'd give that a try." Looked pretty chilly!

and we cant wait to get back out there and do it again each year right lol
had a super cold mule deer hunt like that about 10 yrs back in north east mt
was like -31 without the wind chill. i shot 1 about 200 yrs out from pickup and dragged it back on a little plastic sled. when we got back to the picked with it on the sled it was already froze to the sled so just loaded deer and sled altogether as 1 lol
had to hang that deer in my shop with the heat going just to try and warm it up enough to skin it

Attachments

• DSCN0096.jpg
    DSCN0096.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 681
Was working out in the garage and came in to warm up and watch this episode. Geez, I am colder now that I was before!

A few years ago, my wife and I did a self-guided January caribou hunt in the James Bay region of Quebec. The first day we hunted, the temp did not get above -20'F. We spent the whole day out on snowshoes, and each killed a caribou. Fun stuff if you are prepared !! Over the next two days we both punched our second tag and shot some ptarmigan. It never did get above 0'F !!

Randy it was a challenging/fun hunt that I would do again in a minute. You are always welcome back. You're correct about Troy, a great guy and tough as nails! The buck you shot, under those conditions, was a true trophy. One of those animals you remember for the obstacles that were over come in order to harvest it, regardless of the size. It was just fun being there and watching it unfold! A great experience and good memories!

Back