Late season Wyoming Cow Elk 1-2-14

Good job! They were sure out in the open.

I've grown tired of telling people to hunt these units out in the pronghorn country...elk only live in the trees. I've seen some monster bulls out in stuff just like that, during the rifle bull hunts, on public land.

A couple more pictures that I took. Congrats guys on the 2 elk.

DSC00202.JPG

DSC00206.JPG

Nice going !! Late season cow hunts are my favorite hunts. I enjoy hunting in the cold weather with snow on the ground. I have been traveling to Utah about every other year in January. We have also done the December cow hunts with muzzleloaders in NM. How late does the season run in WY ? Have you tried using a plastic sled to drag the quarters out rather than packing them ?

Congrats guys. That does sound like funs. Great idea to extend the season.

Nice pictures guys.

I agree on the open country Buzz. A lot of guys don't even glass it.

Nice going !! Late season cow hunts are my favorite hunts. I enjoy hunting in the cold weather with snow on the ground. I have been traveling to Utah about every other year in January. We have also done the December cow hunts with muzzleloaders in NM. How late does the season run in WY ? Have you tried using a plastic sled to drag the quarters out rather than packing them ?

The season we hunted was a type 7 tag which is good from January 1st - January 31st.

Hats off to Buzz for helping out some fellow Hunt Talker's! Congrats to the both of you on your cow elk as you're going to have a freezer full of delicious meat and some never ending memories to boot. Good shooting!

Well, I have posted most of the hunt already but I will give a little more into the entire story. Outdoor Junkie and myself have never taken an elk until this hunt although we both tried in Zirkel Wilderness area in northern Colorado in 2007 and he tried doing this hunt last year. Outdoor Junkie did a ton of research for this trip which in all essence was a learning mission first and foremost and an opportunity to bag our first elk and put 150 pounds of great tasting elk meat in our freezer. As I said earlier, our tag started January 1st so we headed out midday on the first from our homes in Wisconsin and Minnesota and met up in Albert Lea where we left my car and made the long treck out. We were suppose to meet up with Buzz at about 7 am but due to getting stuck in the hard pack snow on our "short cut" we weren't able to meet up with him until 9 am. Just a note, we each had a shovel with us and although my hard plastic shovel with the metal blade along the bottom edge works great for my driveway, it works like cr@p on hard pack snow. My brother had the wide, solid metal flat shovel that worked great for chopping the snow pack. After we met up with Buzz we traveled to a herd 15 minutes down the road that he had spotted earlier that morning. We did a drive around to the back side of the herd which was several miles around and we came in from the backside. We had swung around from where we parked for almost 2 miles and had a little difficulty finding the herd. Buzz said he would run back to get the vehicle and said my brother and I should walk towards the road. 15 minutes later the area started to look familiar with the area we had glassed the herd from earlier from the road. As my brother and I crested the ridge, sure enough there they were (we both believe that Buzz knew exactly where they were when he turned around but he wanted to let us hunt them ourselves although he never fully admitted it). We had to make about a mile and a half loop to close the distance to the closest ridge top without spooking the huge herd. Once we setup I told Outdoor Junkie since he did all of the research and tried the hunt last year with no luck that he could take the first shot. He singles out the elk that was on the far right of the herd while I lined up on another elk that was broad side and didn't have another elk in the immediate area. My brother squeezed off his round and just as I went to pull the trigger the mountain side erupted and the entire herd started running to the left. Randomly, the elk would stop. I kept picking one out and sighting in at this point about 350 yards but every time I would line up on one, another elk would either be running in front of it or there would be 2 standing inline with each other. The herd got far enough to the left that I had to get up and move over to a different vantage point 30 yards to my left. When I moved I had half the herd staring at me but I didn't really have a choice. I set up again and had a cow stop up a little higher than the rest of the herd that gave me a clear shot. I took mine and the rest was history. Although we were both ecstatic, we were both extremely exhausted from the elevation and lack of food and sleep. We both tagged and took pics of the elk but realized it was 3 pm already and we both left our headlamps in the center counsel of the vehicle when we shoveled ourselves out the night before so we marked the elk on the GPS and finished the trek to the road where Buzz was waiting. Outdoor Junkie and myself were completely exhausted and Buzz could see it. We drove around to get as close as we could on the 2 tracks to reduce the packing distance of the elk. From here we went in and proceeded at quartering the animals. My brother and I can hang, skin, and completely debone an antelope and whitetail in about 45 minutes but elk was new to us. We both watched plenty of videos before we went but our bodies were really starting to shut down by this time. Buzz led the way and did 90% of the work at a speed that even my brother and I were amazed by. We made the trek out and headed down to Laramie for the night (we never ended up sleeping in the vehicle and believe me, I was not disappointed). The next morning Buzz road with us and helped us pack out the meat. We had a small up hill to start out the pack but after that it was a steady downhill. The only issue on the way out was the insane wind. Although our cores never got cold the wind was brutal on our faces. We ended our trip by dropping off Buzz about 4 pm and starting our drive back home. All in all it was an awesome hunt. I learned more in 2 days of talking and hunting with Buzz about elk hunting than I could have learned in 10 years. Like he said on an earlier post, don't disregard his statements and advice about open country elk, this man has more experience elk hunting than most guides out there and is willing to share his knowledge if you listen. Buzz, I can't thank you enough for the advice, help, and enjoyment we had of hanging out with you for a couple days. We will keep in touch.

Last edited:
Excellent writeup and again my hat is off to BuzzH for being such a great host, guide, and fellow that knows how to get it done!!!

Very cool story and pics. Another hats off to Buzz! It's people like you (knowledgable and will share it) that keep people like me (struggling rookies), from giving up on hunting.

Following Up!

It's been insane since we returned, so I haven't had a chance to post, but I wanted to thank Buzz for all that he did. Hell, the man even gave me his sandwich and his water. During the meet up that morning, we were very tired and in a hurry since we were already 2 hours late. I forgot to fill my hydration pack and throw food in my pack when we hopped in his truck. Buzz could tell I was hurting and generously offered up a sandwich and water. I know it's been said a hundred times before, but people like Buzz are what make this forum a great place.

I'll definitely be back next year, but next time I am getting into town the night before :)

Thanks for all the help Buzz!

Canoe Country and Outdoor Junkie,

Nice work on the elk.

It was a lot of fun...I may have to get a third tag next year, you guys cant have ALL the fun.

I agree, Buzz, you have been given a lot of praise but you deserve all of it. As much as I loved taking these animals I think I enjoyed sucking in as much hunting knowledge as I could from you in our 2 days together. I consider myself and Outdoor junkie as pretty good hunters but we don't hold a candle to Buzz... And like I said earlier, if you are willing to listen he shares some awesome advice. Buzz, If you ever need anything just mention it!

So I have to say, tonight was my first time ever having elk steak and it was the BEST STEAK I HAVE EVER EATEN, EVEN BETTER THAN BEEF! My wife picked up a dry packet of Montreal steak marinade. The packet said to mix it with vinegar or red wine. We made it with red wine and let it marinade for 24 hours. I threw it on the grill tonight and WOW. This is the first time I tried this marinade and I am not sure if it was the steak, marinade, or both but it was unbelievable. The great thing is I have a freezer full of this stuff yet!

Buzz isn't really that nice guys. Between the mention in F&S and all this ball washing we don't want him to get an ego...or at least a bigger one.

Elk is the best tasting meat out there.Your lucky to have a full freezer.I have thought of taking my son on a late season cow hunt in Wy. looks like a blast.I may consider that option for next year.Great story ,and my hats off to Buzz.Not a lot of guys willing to take anyone for elk

Back