Late season Wyoming Cow Elk 1-2-14

Canoe Country

Outdoor Junkie and myself are headed to South East Wyoming to try our luck at some late season cow elk hunting. We are currently driving across southern Minnesota and expect to reach the area we will hunt from around 3 am local time. This is Outdoor Junkie's second go around of this after getting humbled by striking out last year with a different friend of ours.We are taking his explorer out and setting up an air mattress in the back at night so we can camp where we want to start hunting the next morning. We are going to meet up with a new friend we made from this forum that hunts the area and lives close by so our hopes are high! The weather forecast is a bonus with highs near 40 for the next 3 days when we will be hunting. Should be some great hunting with great people and extremely low competition from other hunters. I will post pics if we are successful.

Your new friend may have had a chance to do a bit of looking around a couple days ago.

I hear good things about the area you're headed to...

DSC00199.JPG

I'm leaving Laramie at 5:00 A.M. or a touch before, sharp knives, binos, and mystery ranch 6500 in tow...

Weather is going to be 10 degrees cooler than your forcast, high tomorrow is supposed to be 25. Snowed a bit today, about 2.5 inches in Laramie, probably more up there.

Hopefully one of the three herds I saw have stayed put.

With a friend like that you should do really well. Good luck and be sure to take pictures for those of us wishing we were still elk hunting.

Well...I didn't wan to put you out on the forum like that and have your IM start bouncing of the hook with requests but we are both very appreciative of you assistance and I doubt there are very many people that will be a better source of knowledge about the area we are heading than you!

Outstanding!! Wish I could help.
Look forward to stories and lots of pics.

No thunder stolen, you deserve most of the credit. We are meeting up at 7:30 to go pack out elk so I will give you a brief update of the day. Outdoor junkie and I decided to drop an hour off of our drive by using a road that we were not sure of the snow conditions on, we'll, at 4:00 am we finally dug our truck out of the snow and turned around to do a 5 hour backtrack loop to meet up with buzz. By that time, 9 am buzz had already located a couple heards, one that was about 200 head worth. We tried doing a stalk on them and eventually located them. Outdoor junkie and I sneaked over the overhang so we could see about 30 of them. They were 300 yards out, when he lit one up through the boiler maker. The herd took off but I managed to take one at about 350 yards. Awesome day but a very long one on an hour or 2 of sleep. Thanks buzz for all of the help.

Last edited:
Congratulations. One way or another, I think you will be keeping warm today.

Packing out wasn't bad except for the 40 to 50 mile an hour winds in our face as we packed them out. I am having issues trying to get the pics to post from my iPad so I may have to wait until we get home tomorrow. I have a new appreciation for packing out elk though... Only .6 miles from our closest parking spot but there is no way we could have done it last night after running on fumes from the night of driving before and not eating anything since a snack at the gas station on the way in the night before.

good job on getting a cpl elk on the ground. that elk packing is fun right lol
next time try to shoot them on the up hill side next to where you park :D

I told BuzzH the other day that the way he takes so many elk and it's not even his favorite animal that he should be a guide when he retires from the USFS. It looks like he has already started his next mission, LOL! Congrats to all and kudos to BuzzH for going out of the way to make it happen for you guys and quickly at that!!!

Elk pics

My dad is stopping by right now to help me cut up meat in exchange for some elk so I am just posting the pics at this time. We will give the full rundown later.

Attachments

• IMG_0009.jpg
    IMG_0009.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 1,487
  • IMG_0011.jpg
    IMG_0011.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,485
  • IMG_0012.jpg
    IMG_0012.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 1,482
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts