PEAX Equipment

Javelina? Units 34 and 35?

1_pointer

BOY and I are thinking of making run at javelina and birds in So. AZ. Trying to do some quick research. Right now we are sorta considering units 34A/B and 35A/B. Any and all advice info regarding these units would be greatly appreciated.

He'll be coming from ID and me from IN. We'd fly into Phoenix and rent a vehicle, very likely a car to save on money. Is the public land in these areas accessible via a car?

Last january i had a javelina tag in unit 37b. I spent most of my driving time to get there in a honda civic. You cant drive in real far before the roads get too rough but you can get into the general area and hike from there.

are you looking to hunt gambels, scaled or mearns quail? if mearns, it will be tough finding any birds without a dog. if gambels or scaled you might consider 36B. there is lots of public access in 34A, 35A, 35B and 36B but very restricted public access in 34B. generally speaking, quail numbers have been way down in AZ for the last 10 - 15 years. if you are interested in hunting mearns quail with a guide let me know as I have a friend that focus on that. you might be able to do a mearns quail/javelina combo hunt with him. it would probably be a good idea to rent an SUV or truck rather than a car. 4WD would also be beneficial but not necessary. good luck and enjoy. chris.

37A is north of Tucson and closer to Phoenix than the other units mentioned. lots of javis and quail in that unit as well.

Sundevil- Thanks for the info! AZFG cashed the check, so we should be getting javie tags, but I'm not sure for which unit yet. As soon as I know I'll post it. We are looking to hunt all 3 species of quail. We plan on hiring a guide for one day to try for the Mearns as the focus. The others if time that day allows and we'll always be packing our shotguns with the intent of shooting what we find. I'd be interested in your friends contact info/website. Feel free to pm me if you'd rather go that route. Again, thanks for the info.

Well, we're going to 35B and are tying up some planning details. Trying to find a place to stay that isn't $90+ a night and not in Nogales. We'll probably be staying in either Rio Rico or Sierra Vista.

Next will be to find a guide for a day of bird hunting. Thanks to those that have provided me some leads. I plan on calling them this week.

Any tips on where to find pigs or what kind of country to look for? I've gathered some info from a few folks here and with some online research, but didn't figure it would hurt to ask again since I now know what unit we'll be in.

The wife and me will be in 36B next month for the H.A.M. hunt. I got one there last year and my brother has taken some out of there over the years. I get up on a hill and glass the creek beds and drainages, you can see a long way in that unit. I was hunting Deer in 35B in November and came across some Javelina,but that unit is pretty thick and hard to glass in alot of spots. I about walked right into them before they scurried off, thankfully.
Good luck!!!

Thanks for the tip! Glassing will be a primary method, but knowing the guy I'm going with, we'll be burning a bit of boot leather. He can walk forever.

Is there a preferred elevation or are they just where you happen to find them?

It seems like the like the hillsides facing the East to warm up early in the morning then bed or hang out along or in the washes after that. I'm not an expert by any means, but those are some habits we noticed.

You did not call me the other weekend. I have a spot you really should check out that holds both quail and pigs. This was before the fire but I assume it is back to normal after the couple years passed.

Sorry about that! Weather, kids, and wife didn't leave too much time on that weekend. I'll be in touch and thanks again for the offer to share info.

Well we found a few. Operative work, "few". Javelina weren't quite as thick on the ground as we'd expected and took a lot more hunting than we expected. If/when I go back I'll be spending much more time glassing as I now have a better understanding what type of country they prefer. That and I wouldn't have to walk so far each day! I can tell I haven't spent much time the last few years hoofing in country like that as I got a bit foot sore. First few days were spent looking for them where we bird hunted. Lots of sign and fresh sign at that. However, due to the trees the visibility was much less than the other part of the unit where we got into them.

Nice work on the pigs...they are kind of all over but can be tough to find.

They do blend in, and its not like they're the size of elk. Probably one of the toughest animals to glass, IMO.

Thanks! We didn't glass any up that we didn't stumble upon or see with the naked eye first. I think there is something to learning how to work that country with glass.

Muzzleloader. First time I've ever got the chance to use one on a critter. It worked. However, they are a bit more complicated to travel with than a centerfire. Especially one that uses 'old' tech like mine.

Nice, congrats, sounds like similar experience to my hunt. Really like the looks of that background country, way more grass than where I was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back