Headscratcher

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Tonight I'm catching up on some emails, FB posts, etc. and I read on my buddy Steve Rinella's Meateater FB page that a competing TV network used a couple seconds of footage from his show, without license. I think, "Hmm, this could be interesting."

I turn it on, and sure enough, the opening two seconds are footage from Steve's show. WTH?

I continue to watch and I see some really familiar stuff. Turns out that the clip contains unlicensed OYOA footage a .07, .11, .23, .24, and from .26 to the end of this .30 second clip.

You would think a network that makes its living on this stuff, makes you sign agreements an inch thick as to who owns what, what is licensed and what is not, etc. would not be using unlicensed footage in their big promo clip. I know what would happen if I used any of their footage, images, trademarks on any of my promotional material.

Here is a link to the YouTube clip from Outdoor Channel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaP_X2wezU4

Thanks to Steve for bringing this to my attention.

If you boys were chicks I'm sure Gloria Allred would come running to your press conference for "support" They probably figured you were out hunting and would never see YOUR property being used without permission.
A pox on their heads

I just saw the Facebook post on the meateater page. Classless move on the part of the outdoor channel.

"Headscratcher" for sure! I would be bald by now, if I were in your shoes.

You would think a network that makes its living on this stuff, makes you sign agreements an inch thick as to who owns what, what is licensed and what is not, etc. would not be using unlicensed footage in their big promo clip. .

Do you think it is possible they have covered themselves in there very fine print, the unseen "political wording". Either way, they are considered a thief in my book.

It is a shame that people feel they can freely take video/ photos and use them as if it were theirs.

I hope you go after them!

I smell a raise for the ol Lawnboy on Big Fin's lawn in the upcoming season:D Hey I called Tip Mont yesterday and I think you should do the same using the legal system. Stick it to those hosers. I'd say, well you wanted to jack up my rates for x amount to x amount from year to year so lets see how you like it now.

Take a day or so and think this over. The outdoors industry is a small industry I would expect, right? Think through all the ramifications of the different scenarios that may play out on this before you act. Then choose the best route for you. A kneejerk reaction to sue the bastards may not be the overall best route, even if it would be fitting.

My first thought was....any chance you will be forced to be on this network in the future?

That sucks for sure, and they used footage that anyone that's seen your show would recognize. As far as what to do about it,... we can't tell you what to do because I anyway don't know all the details of your type of business,.. but in my business I have learned that an old saying similar to "the azz you chew today may be the azz you have to kiss another day" has proved to be a valuable lesson - a professional phone call in a professional manner goes farther in the long run, you don't get high blood pressure from it, and you have an "owe - me" card to play later in life... just a different angle I guess. Either way they need to delete that video from every source possible and make an apology, not an excuse.

oops, mustv been typing at same time, pretty much just said same thing as MN

Last edited:
It's almost like the ad company got the channel wrong. Was anything in the clip from Outdoor Channel?

Thanks for the comments, guys. Your sense of humor is why I enjoy posting stuff on these threads.

I subscribe to this theory - "Hire the best attorney you can, then make sure you never have to use him."

To me, this is far, far, from any level of legal action. I will just send them an email and let them know that I would appreciate if they gave me credit for my footage that they used (which I know they won't) or ask them to take it down and not use it for any purpose.

They will know they made a big, big, mistake. I am sure someone in Temecula HQ is going to have a red face for letting such a thing happen. Their weekend will probably not be too comfortable.

Yes, the outdoor TV industry is very small. Even if it was not, I am not the kind of guy who goes around making threats and posturing. If an action reaches the point that it requires a legal response, you would not read about it here, rather it would be taken care of and then you might read about it.

My posting here was to get a few laughs and show some of the things that are part of this TV business. I can assure you, that if I was the one who used their footage, "the fertilizer would hit the ventilator."

I will send the email this morning and I am sure they will take care of it.

As one of the poor souls that gets the Outdoor Channel but not the Sportsmans Channel, yes, a lot of it was from the Outdoor Channel. The Robertsons/Buck Commander and Uncle Ted and Bone Collector are all on O.C.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hammerg
Back