Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Pack Rifle

Tikka T3 Lite w a muzzlebrake. It wieghs 5 lbs and is a tack driver. Be prepared for some recoil in that caliber though. The brake will help.

Do you have any problems with the plastic clip and trigger guard? The mossberg 4x4 that I have now has both of those and I would like to have those parts in metal for durability purposes. Do you know if I could get a stainless clip and trigger guard for the tikka?

A few questions, before we get too far along...

1. Can you define "light" Everyone has a different definition of what constitutes a light rifle. Me personally my Elk rifle is a Winchester Model 70Sporter in .325WSM. With an optic, sling, and a full 4 rounds of ammo it tips the scales at 9.75lbs. I wouldn't want that rifle any lighter (personal choice).

2. Are you looking particularly for an off the shelf rifle, or would you be willing to pay a bit extra, and wait a bit for a semi-custom/custom rifle?

3. Cartridge, as others have said, if you are really looking to shave ounces, would you consider a .300WSM? Short Action rifles will always be a bit lighter.

I personally would not recommend a Kimber Montana. I had some disturbingly poor results with their customer service, and I will not own with a rifle with a blind magazine. My Top choices outside semi-custom/custom would be a Sako Finnlight, Sako A7, Weatherby Backcountry or Mark V Ultralight. Those are a few starting points.

I agree with the Kimber Montana 300WSM suggestion and bought one myself. Now I just need a scope...

Leave the *muzzlebrake* at home. Why the 300 Win Mag? As others have said, upgrade your optics.
Keep in mind this is just an oldphart talking and I have a 300 Mag which is my *go to*.

A few questions, before we get too far along...

1. Can you define "light" Everyone has a different definition of what constitutes a light rifle. Me personally my Elk rifle is a Winchester Model 70Sporter in .325WSM. With an optic, sling, and a full 4 rounds of ammo it tips the scales at 9.75lbs. I wouldn't want that rifle any lighter (personal choice).

2. Are you looking particularly for an off the shelf rifle, or would you be willing to pay a bit extra, and wait a bit for a semi-custom/custom rifle?

3. Cartridge, as others have said, if you are really looking to shave ounces, would you consider a .300WSM? Short Action rifles will always be a bit lighter.

I personally would not recommend a Kimber Montana. I had some disturbingly poor results with their customer service, and I will not own with a rifle with a blind magazine. My Top choices outside semi-custom/custom would be a Sako Finnlight, Sako A7, Weatherby Backcountry or Mark V Ultralight. Those are a few starting points.

Thanks guys for yall's insight. To be more specific....

1) For now I will be content with anything under 7lbs. (Bare rifle)

2) I am looking for a shelf rifle at this time, being that I just graduated from college and am not exactly raking in the cash yet. It is my intention to upgrade as my budget can afford.

3) As of now I am sticking with 300 win mag for the soul reason that the Leopold scope that I have at present has hashes calibrated specifically for that caliber at 300 & 400 yards. (Affordability comes into play here as well.) Again I fully intend to upgrade to the short mag when it is more economical for me.

So with that being said I am looking to make a "upgrade" from the Mossberg 4x4 in which I won at a Ducks Unlimited banquet raffle. Although that rifle worked fine during a family DIY caribou hunt in 2010, I am now in the market to step-up my gear.

Inaccuracy and less than favorable customer service chatter all over the net. I personally like em and haven't had an siiue that Kimber hasn't resolved....and that was with a pistol. My 300 win mag Classic has performed flawlessly.

If you're on a budget go Tikka synthetic and don't fret the plastic...they flat out shoot.

Inaccuracy and less than favorable customer service chatter all over the net. I personally like em and haven't had an siiue that Kimber hasn't resolved....and that was with a pistol. My 300 win mag Classic has performed flawlessly.

If you're on a budget go Tikka synthetic and don't fret the plastic...they flat out shoot.

I don't think the last few years have been that way. Seems kimber figured out their issues.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back