Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Signatures, Weblinks, and Prostaffers

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Guys - I apologize in advance for this change, but I am to the point where I really have little choice.

From now, on, web links, URLs, and other advertising links/posts will not be allowed in your signature lines or in the forum threads. If you care to do this, you must contact me or Mrs. Fin in advance ([email protected]).

This site is here for helping those who are interested in self-guided hunting, with emphasis on public or accessible lands. It is only possible to have this show and site because some companies understand the value in connecting to you and being supportive of your style of hunting. Without these committed folks, there would be no website or TV shows.

I have always been pretty open about things, but more and more, people are putting links that take you to sites that compete with us, compete with our sponsors, or are links to places I really don't want associated with our forum. Or, they are using the forum threads/posts to advertise their products and services or promote their platforms that compete with our platforms.

I really did not want to do this, but after a few complaints from sponsors, it becomes my responsibility to make sure their investment here is protected. I hope you understand.

Most forums that reach our size do not allow URLs, at all. And moderators are expected to delete threads that are thinly veiled advertising. As it proliferates, I can see why they have these policies.

Some pay to advertise on this site and we are adding more "site only" sponsors. They have permission to have links in their signature lines and they can use the forum threads to promote their products.

If you are on the "Prostaff" or otherwise involved in promotion of products and services, you need my permission to post comments in the threads that promote those products. Too many times, prostaff folks from competing companies are here "plugging" products they represent. If they want to reach the self-guided hunter and help promote what this platform provides to our readers/viewers, there are ways they can do that; the same way their competitors are doing it.

As for those of you who are not on pro staffs and want to talk about products, I encourage that, whether it is a product of a sponsor of our show/website, or not. This is about getting the best information in the hands of our audience and you guys have some amazing experience that is helpful to our viewers. I don't want to discourage that.

So, if you have a URL or web link in your signature, it will be removed, unless you have my approval. Many of you have been very professional to ask in advance and I have given you approval. For those who have, continue as you have and I thank you for the value you add to this forum. For those who have not, you will probably see changes to your signature line.

And there seems to be a proliferation of web-based video companies and web-based hunting businesses that continue to come here and try to use this site to build their business. I wish it did not come to this, but I really am not too keen on having invested eight years of works and hundreds of thousands of dollars in a TV show and website, just so those folks can jump in a piggy back on it. If they ask permission, odds are I will allow some links. If they don't ask, odds are they will get banned.

Again, wish it was not getting to this point. Hunt Talk has grown to the level that our traffic volume and quality has huge value for marketing to this demographic. I expect it will happen more and more as Hunt Talk grows, so I have no choice be to start being more assertive about this policy.

Last edited:
I have been expecting this for some time. Good for you Randy, protect your sponsors, they provide some of the best products available and deserve our support.

I applaud and support your decision. Your sponsors are those who make this forum possible.
We need to support them and purchase their products as appreciation.

My personal reason for continuously reading and learning from this site is that the interesting, entertaining, and educational information comes mostly from hunters of my same ilk, who are passionate about hunting, wildlife, and related subjects ... not about making money from it.

This site is here for helping those who are interested in self-guided hunting, with emphasis on public or accessible lands.

I have always been pretty open about things, but more and more, people are putting links that take you to sites that compete with us, compete with our sponsors, or are links to places I really don't want associated with our forum. Or, they are using the forum threads/posts to advertise their products and services.

So, if you have a URL or web link in your signature, it will be removed, unless you have my approval.

Thank you. I hope they are all removed.

Good move. Thanks to Randy and the Sponsors for doing the dirty work needed to have a forum dedicated to DIY and public land hunting.

You have to do what you have to do to keep your sponsors. I wouldn't think anybody would really get their titty in a ringer over this..... Well, hopefully not.

Oh crap I just lost my prostaff status. This could really hurt some egos I'm afraid;) I couldn't grow a goatee anyway and I always seem to smile for hero shots. Those two criteria throw me out of the mix for sure.
I don't blame the sponsors for getting a bit frustrated. Makes sense.

I don't blame the sponsors for getting a bit frustrated.
Ya when you undercut them with the low low walmart prices coupled with walmart quality it gets them fumming. So please remove your walmart prostaffer signiture.

Ya when you undercut them with the low low walmart prices coupled with walmart quality it gets them fumming. So please remove your walmart prostaffer signiture.

Yea I might have to remove that signature. When you go through a pair of Walmart trekking poles in one sheep hunt. I'm thinking the quality might not quit be there :eek:

Sounds like a very reasonable way to handle it Randy. Sorry to see Lawnboy lose his prostaff status though.:)

Just so I understand. There recently was a thread asking about what type of gun was best. If I understand what you are saying..... I can not put up a link to "Bass Pro" shops that has a gun on sale for $$.... is this correct. No problem, I just want to understand the new rule as to not cause a problem.

Thanks in advance
good luck to all
the dog

Just so I understand. There recently was a thread asking about what type of gun was best. If I understand what you are saying..... I can not put up a link to "Bass Pro" shops that has a gun on sale for $$.... is this correct. No problem, I just want to understand the new rule as to not cause a problem.

Thanks in advance
good luck to all
the dog

No problem with those kinds of links. You're not a pro staffer. And it helps guys get a good deal.

So....will Texas Auodad and Afreekan circus crittter Uniform Resource Locaters be verboten?

:)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back