Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

With the Old Breed, by E. B. Sledge

A-con

This book is the memoir of a Marine infantryman who fought some of the toughest battles of WW 2 against the Japanese on Peleliu and Okinawa. This book is not about the glories of war, but about the horrors. It reads like the unvarnished truth. The fear and excitement of fighting a dedicated enemy mixed with the horrible conditions of days on end squatting in a putrid foxhole filled with maggots, blood and urine.

Highly recommend, if you can stomach it. It’s not a pretty read.

The title refers to the older combat veteran Marines who Sledge looks up to because they have survived extensive combat. By the end of the book, Sledge himself is one of the old breed, and the new recruits look up to him.

This is a FANTASTIC book. The WSJ once rated in the top 5 for 20th century battle books.

There used to be a restaurant in Quantico called the Globe and Laurel that had quite the collection of Marine Crops history. The owner had written a book concerning his experiences during WWII and he knew Sledge and some of the others from that time period. It was worth having dinner there just to hear his stories.

With the Old Breed is a great book and a horrible story, I have a huge amount of respect for all Vets. I just finished reading, “Islands of the Damned” by RV Burgin. He was Eugene Sledge’s squad leader. It is interesting to hear the same story from a slightly different perspective. They match pretty well. The Old Breed is a better book but if you are interested “Islands of the Damned” is good. Burgin also fought at Cape Gloucester with the 1st Marine Division and his character has a part in “Pacific” as well.

I read that book last summer. I agree with Phaseolus , great book and a horrible story. I'm about half way through Beyond Band of Brothers : The War Memoirs of Major Dick Winters. He is truly an inspiring man and hero.

Wasn't there a part in that book where the new recruits were awed by an old gunnery seargant scrubbing himself off with a stiff bristle floor scrub brush? I remember it made quite n impression on me but I can't remember the details (thankfully)

I got this book after watching Pacific on HBO great book. Helmet for my pillow is another good book on ww2 in the south pacific.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back