Another one for the books

Bambistew

I'm just not feeling the story writing bug at this time, but thought I share a few pictures from the trip. Got to thank Indian Larry for taking the shots, as my camera is sick and the pics turned out like crap.

I'll let him share his sheep/story, so as I don't steal his thunder... not that he needs it.

We spotted my ram on the 3rd day in a spot we had no intention of hunting due to distance from the strip. We had a dilemma... we were spiked out with only had one day of food left, and the sheep was at least 2 days away... we opted to head back to the strip, and hunt another area we hadn't hunted and were sure had rams... in doing so ran into another hunting party that had just hunted the area, so the dicisison was easy... we packed up all our stuff and made a return trip to find "my" sheep. Not a fun day, but could have been worse, 15 miles round trip with camp on our back, just to make a food run.

The following morning we spotted another ram near my ram, we packed up camp and made the half day journey across a glacier... We set hurriedly set up camp on the other side, and hiked up the hill.

P1010331_zps1a599d44.jpg

After an epic battle of rock/paper/scissors, Larry had his first sheep. After some pics, and cutting/quartering, we planned to hike around the hill a couple miles and shoot mine... No luck and no sheep to be found, we ran out of day light and went back to camp.

The plan for the next day was to hike back up to where we'd seen my sheep two days in a row, shoot him, then pack both off the mountain. On the way up we spotted a few ewes, and they had us peged. We waited them out for a few hours before they finally moved on. The fog was low, and glassing was difficult.

The fog started to lift a bit, and we could see the valley below. We picked out a couple whopper caribou bulls out of the brush, and Larry spotted a sheep right at the cloud line, in the next drainage over. Upon closer examination it was the guy we were after. Problem was we had a big open drainage to cross, without being noticed, and then had to scale back up the ridge they were on and try to shoot him from above. We were pretty spent, but knew what had to be done. ;)

About 2 hours later I was in shooting position 200 yards above. The new Kimber Montana took its second sheep in as many shots. A quick Snickers bar, some fancy knife work and we were headed off the mountain. No sooner had we strapped on the packs did a bank of fog roll in that was so thick, visability was less than 15 yards. It was pretty eerie, we had no idea if we'd get cliffed out or not, luckily we made it with out issue. We made it back to camp about 4 hours later completely soaked after bush wacking alders in a down pour.

P1010478_zps1d29482d.jpg

P1010500_zpsc4caaf10.jpg

P1010516_zps30bbd1c5.jpg

P1010486_zps689364b0.jpg

The next day we hiked back up, picked up Larrys sheep, and made it back to camp. On the way back we noticed that the stream we'd crossed a couple days prior was completely blown out. No way were crossing it until it dropped. The sun stuck around and the creek dropped. We spent the next two days schlepping meat and gear across a glacier and back to the landing strip. We got very lucky again, if we didn't make that crossing when we did, odds are we'd still be in the mountains today...

P1010588_zpscf132e79.jpg

Can't wait to go again next year.

Bio aged mine at 11 years, full curl on one side and double broomed.

Damn, I bet you wished you still lived down in the Lower 48, eh? NOT!

Cool stuff. Congrats to you guys.

Lovely looking ram and more importantly sounds like an exceptional hunt. Congrats to you and your hunt partner.

Did you do any damage on the caribou your seen, or was it just not possible of getting them out of there with the packs loaded with mutton and horn?

Could never tire of hunting in those conditions that way..

Very Cool!!

Now, as a ram novice I have a question. In the ram below, am I correct in counting 6 growth rings?

Its a bit tricky and usually there is some argument between hunters/biologists it seems. My experience is I usually short them a year.

In Alaska a ram is legal if he's 8-yo, or full curl one side, or broomed on both sides. Some people count rings, but I'm not that brave. I prefer to not chance it and make sure the ram I'm looking at is legal by curl or broomed. About 10% of the rams killed ever year are ceased. I would imagine that another 10% or more are shot thinking they're full curl, yet turn out to be 8yo and are then legal. Doubt many would admit it though. Saw a guy with a 7yo 7/8 curl ram, that he was convinced it was 8... pretty sure the F&G owns it now.

Rings get progressively smaller as a ram ages. Mines missing the "lamb" tips and is broomed about the second year of growth. He also has a ring just below the hair line.

If Larry puts his sheep up, you can see a perfect "false" annuli, but its easy to rule out because its in an odd segregation point, and not progressively smaller segment, yet is very distinct ring, goes completely around.

It seems that aging is a bit subjective, especially on older animals where rings get really close.

One trick to determine an actual age ring, is the horn changes angle at a growth ring, where as false annuli grow in a concentric circle.

Here's a couple from last year to look at.

Attachments

• rings.JPG
    rings.JPG
    50.3 KB · Views: 1,769
  • P1050175.JPG
    P1050175.JPG
    325.7 KB · Views: 1,781
  • rings 2.JPG
    rings 2.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 1,773
Bambi- Great pics, great story and one super looking sheep! I think I would have to eat a whole case of snickers to do what you accomplished. Matter of fact I think I might eat one right now.:rolleyes:

Congrats on a great hunt and ram! Beautifully nasty terrain.

Having never been on a sheep hunt I don't think I could trust myself counting rings or determining a 7/8 curl versus full curl. If I ever get the opportunity I'll have to do some serious studying.

I don't think I could trust myself counting rings or determining a 7/8 curl versus full curl. If I ever get the opportunity I'll have to do some serious studying.

better to pass on the "iffy" ones and hold out for one that you know, with out a doubt is legal. You'll end up with a much nicer trophy, usually.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Giddyup64
Back