Best Knife Sharpening system for hunting knives

ingomar

Just wondering what people think is the best knife sharpening tool/system for hunting knives that are used on elk.

I use a variety of tools, a Smith's carbide/porcelain kit, a fine/coarse whet stone, sometimes a real fine file for a once over before using the other options listed. Really want to start making my own knives for multiple uses as a hobby during down time.

I've been using Lansky for years. I'd ge the diamond stones, mine doesn't have it and the newer knives with D2 steel are hard to sharpen

I've been using Lansky for years. I'd ge the diamond stones, mine doesn't have it and the newer knives with D2 steel are hard to sharpen
I second this suggestion and especially the kit with the diamond stones. I have a knife with S30V steel that I can't sharpen with the regular stones. On more 'common' steels, once you get the edge set you can get 'em SHARP in short time.

Gatco makes a similar system I think.

I've carried a light 8" diamond sharp stick in the pack for years. Like the havalons also but there are times when you need the heft of a sharp full tang blade. Also take about 4 sharp knives to save time when the skinning and boning begins.

All of my knives have a convex bevel... so I carry two small sheets of sandpaper in 600 and 1500 grit and a small 2-sided leather strop loaded with 2 different compounds. This system weighs a few ounces and can do simple touch-up or major resoration. Will work on S30V, D2, CPM3V, etc. no prob.

Ceramic sticks work well too for touch ups in the field.

The Warthog V-sharp is the absolute best knife sharpener I've ever seen or used. I've owned a Lansky, a few Smith's, the Arkansas sharpener, and the old fashioned stones, but nothing beats the Warthog.

www.v-sharp.com

Last edited:
I second this suggestion and especially the kit with the diamond stones. I have a knife with S30V steel that I can't sharpen with the regular stones. On more 'common' steels, once you get the edge set you can get 'em SHARP in short time.

Gatco makes a similar system I think.

+1 From this end

This is what I use. You can buy an entire case of them for cheaper than a good knife. I carry three with me at all times and when one gets dull grab another. Don't let the price fool you, I've broken down entire elk without grabbing a new knife. They hold a great edge and when you get home they sharpen up perfectly. Its the only knife we used in the taxidermy shop..from elephants to squirrels.
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-4-Inch-Fibrox-Straight-Paring/dp/B008M5U1UE/ref=pd_sim_k_1

Attachments

• opplanet-victorinox-314-paring-knife-47600.jpg
    opplanet-victorinox-314-paring-knife-47600.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 5,168
This is what I use. You can buy an entire case of them for cheaper than a good knife. I carry three with me at all times and when one gets dull grab another. Don't let the price fool you, I've broken down entire elk without grabbing a new knife. They hold a great edge and when you get home they sharpen up perfectly. Its the only knife we used in the taxidermy shop..from elephants to squirrels.
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-4-Inch-Fibrox-Straight-Paring/dp/B008M5U1UE/ref=pd_sim_k_1

These are great knives, we used them for deck knives up in Alaska. Very, very sharp...and like you said, cheap enough to just go get another one.

I use the Havalon's now too...can't really beat them for the price, weight, and ease of use.

These are all great suggestions.

The spyderco sharpmaker works well, especially if your knives have bevel angles that match the 30 and 40 of the sharpmaker. Its a good way to get reasonable sharpness fairly quickly.

Bench stones are great, but it will take practice to become proficient.. sharpening is kind of an art form, IMO.

I have a ton of those victorinox knives as well... good for lots of stuff. The forschner brand also makes incredible knives for cheap (boning, skinning, utility blades).

Have fun

KME Sharpening System for me. It is idiot resistant. (You can still cut yourself, so it is not idiot proof! LOL!)

Back