AZ 3b bull tag late Nov muzzleloader

fulch

Hello all, names Jason. Drew my first AZ elk tag this year, 3b ML bull tag in late November. I hunt rifle elk/deer in MT every year but am extatic to try my luck as a resident. Just joined the forum.

I intend to scout with an A, B and C plan due to my concern of road closures.

A - Forest roads are open. Set up base camp deep in the southern part of the unit.
B - roads are closed due to snow/mud. Camp off hwy 60 and hunt/walk south
C - fair weather. Hike or possible mountain bike deep in to Woolhouse and set up a pop camp, hunt from there.

I figure if I scout for the mentioned plans above Im set regardless of weather. We plan to use our 5th wheel for base camp, i have 4x4, and we do not have quads or horses.

I am all ears if anyone has any suggestions. Look forward to hearing from you all.

Thanks,
Fulch

I know nothing about that area, but one thing I would do, if you can, is to go and scout at least two, maybe three days, immediately before season opens. That time of year, the bulls will be in their survival mode, tucked away in places hunters don't want to go. If you find him the day before season, stay on him until dark. Be back the next morning, getting there well before sun up, and kill him.

Like some say, "Do your hunting before season and your killing opening morning."

Welcome to the forum. Hope you have a great hunt.

I hunted that unit several years ago and gagged away a good chance at a great bull and ended up leaving after spending a day looking for a lost cousin. Get a good map of the unit - there's a lot of small pockets of private mixed in south of the 60. There's a walk-in Habitat area south of the 60 that holds a fair number of elk, particularly in the earlier hunts. For your hunt, I'd be closer to those private areas closer down by Hwy 260.

Good luck on your hunt.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back