Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Colorado Boycott?

Think people would be up in arms if they were giving them to SFW or BGF? But give them to landowners and you can't get anyone to say boo.

While you're boycotting, include Colorado Wildlife Federation, who testified in support of the bill.

Feel like you're talking to a brick wall?

I agree with Emrah. Write all the letters you want but start taking dollars out of constituents pockets and there going to start asking why. I can see both sides but for a lot of non-residents this boycott is the only connection they have to Colorado. There voices, letters and protest don't count, but there dollars do.

Yes, Kent Ingram testified in favor of it because John Smeltzer was not available that day.

Here is an email conversation between me and a (unnamed here) CWF representative, after that representative told me they thought it was important to "maintain solid working relations" with landowners:

Wow. I am shocked.

If you want to boycott CO, do it because CPW is trying to give more of your tags to landowners to sell for profit.

Oak, I haven't seen the issue discussed anywhere in the media and only ran across it here this week. The number of Colorado hunters who frequent websites for hunting organizations or forums is probably very small. Have you written to the local or other outdoors newspaper writers? The one here is always looking for material. I'll bet if you sent your arguments about what the proposed changes will mean for public land hunters, he would write a story on it

Maybe include a photo of a barbed wire fence with a sign that says No Trespassing, No Hunting. :)

Regarding a boycott due to the passage of recent anti gun measures, I think there will be widespread economic impact but probably little in the hunting sector. Whatever impact there is won't be easily measured.

Dedicated hunters who regularly hunt CO aren't likely to give up their endeavor. There are more effective, political avenues for protest. It's the NR hunters who are little affected by the laws that would have much impact on the state coffers.

Here is an article that discusses Declaring economic war on Colorado through a boycott.

If a boycott “takes aim at innocent victims,” then so, too, does a law attacking magazines and the people who make them, and law-abiding gun owners who — just like CPW — had nothing to do with the Aurora massacre, the Sandy Hook tragedy or any other heinous crime. They are also “innocent victims” in a war of political correctness that also just hammered Magpul employees who will see their jobs go to other states.

Oak, I haven't seen the issue discussed anywhere in the media and only ran across it here this week. The number of Colorado hunters who frequent websites for hunting organizations or forums is probably very small. Have you written to the local or other outdoors newspaper writers? The one here is always looking for material. I'll bet if you sent your arguments about what the proposed changes will mean for public land hunters, he would write a story on it

Maybe include a photo of a barbed wire fence with a sign that says No Trespassing, No Hunting. :)

I emailed both our local writer as well as the poser that writes for the Denver Post. Neither one answered me, which is not surprising. Our local fellow has never once answered an email from me. You have a better relationship with him...maybe you would have some luck. I'm guessing neither one wants to rock the boat with CPW, just like our "sportsman's" organizations. We sure could use Charlie Meyers right now....

I emailed both our local writer as well as the poser that writes for the Denver Post. Neither one answered me, which is not surprising. Our local fellow has never once answered an email from me. You have a better relationship with him...maybe you would have some luck. I'm guessing neither one wants to rock the boat with CPW, just like our "sportsman's" organizations. We sure could use Charlie Meyers right now....

Yea, Charlie Meyers was a stand up guy. (hey, any....?). I've also thought the local guy might not want to rock the boat, but I'm surprised he hasn't responded to you. I could approach him with your talking points but would have to beg off from being quoted (because I'm a volunteer). WouId have to point to you as a spokesperson.

Colorado Boycott

I have been elk hunting with 10-15 guys for the last 10 years, having a great time. This year, we will not go. Everyone hates what happened in the school shootings, but we law abiding hunters didnt do it. People can sure make up their own minds, but the 2nd amendment is taking a beating in Colorado. Short answer, i will stay home with my $1000 this year. (License, food, fuel, shopping)
I hope the residents will fight back and vote a bunch of'em out of office.

The dead horse topic is my next stop... need to tenderize the puppy chow after La Salle bumped Kansas St out. :( Though before visiting that carcass of a thread - figured I'd toss my two pennies of thought on this topic beyond the CO/MT tease.

To boycott the economic side of hunting/fishing, etc in response to lousy 'gun control' laws is counter productive, in my opinion. Harming the funds used for this purpose is simply bending over and managing to kick yourself in the arse.

Successful boycott would be for MagPul to uproot to Montana. :)

edit: On second thought, the dead horse has drifted down the list of threads... and the Hoosiers managed to hold on to their #1 position in proper arse whoopin fashion. Maybe a dead horse will... die? Heh! (oh and Colorado has just edged over Illinois. Would be a great win for my bracket if they manage to pull this one off!

Last edited:
The dead horse topic is my next stop... need to tenderize the puppy chow after La Salle bumped Kansas St out. :( Though before visiting that carcass of a thread - figured I'd toss my two pennies of thought on this topic beyond the CO/MT tease.

To boycott the economic side of hunting/fishing, etc in response to lousy 'gun control' laws is counter productive, in my opinion. Harming the funds used for this purpose is simply bending over and managing to kick yourself in the arse.

Successful boycott would be for MagPul to uproot to Montana. :)

edit: On second thought, the dead horse has drifted down the list of threads... and the Hoosiers managed to hold on to their #1 position in proper arse whoopin fashion. Maybe a dead horse will... die? Heh! (oh and Colorado has just edged over Illinois. Would be a great win for my bracket if they manage to pull this one off!

How would that be successful? You guys are probably the next "purple state" to follow CO's lead. I think they would be a little more safer in WY away from all the Dem's in power up there in MT.

How would that be successful? You guys are probably the next "purple state" to follow CO's lead. I think they would be a little more safer in WY away from all the Dem's in power up there in MT.

So long as Missoula does not miraculously grow 5x's that of the other cities in MT there is no way MT would follow CO's example. It would be the same as if Jackson became the metro of WY...

Here is an interesting article by G&A: http://www.gunsandammo.com/2013/03/14/ga-ranks-the-best-states-for-gun-owners-in-2013/
Ranking of pro gun states

MT 11th
CO? 37th

I was :) -ing in support our jobs in today's economy. WY would be fine as well... I would rather they head to MT though :)

Last edited:
The boycott of Colorado will not work for the simple reason that there are too many greedy hunters that don't care about the real issues and look at a boycott as just opening up more permits for them. Gun and hunting issues have always been the same. People will not stand for what is right as long as they can get what they want.

The only thing these idiot politicians understand is economic impact. ONE season of every non-resident hunter failing to apply for a permit in Colorado would make a huge impact. There are other issues also, such as locking off public land. I hunted Colorado for a number of years and filled every elk tag that I ever drew, but I will probably not be going back anymore.

NHY - you are exactly right, and correct. We are out-numbered.
Answered that question in a conversation with my mother-in-law 4 years ago. 'the influx of out-of-staters moving here changes the way CO votes, how we are represented, what laws are passed and how we will live.
Pretty much sucks.

Boycotting - yes. I applied for my elk, deer, goat and bear tags......and imagine the cdow will boycott my app and send me back my money. {Tags going to land owners and PLO.) The draw for elk and deer is more like the moose and sheep draw?

A hunter boycotting a gun-owner type activity is completely ridiculous. It would be similar to boycotting gun shows because the state said there had to be registration. I've never felt it wise to hurt the people who are mostly on your side. Easy way to give aid to anti-gun people is to hurt the pro-gun people. Anti-gun and anti-hunters would see this as nothing more than a twofer...if you want to boycott something, make sure it is something that deals with people who are definitely anti-gun. I'm sure you can find someone/ some enterprise to boycott based on the anti-gun legislation that was passed. Better yet, try to get a petition going to reverse the legislation. Fact is...it doesn't directly effect NR hunters (unless they like to carry a 15 round magazine to hunt which I doubt very many do). If you can't convince enough people in Colorado to overturn this legislation...then they probably want it. Again, it wouldn't be a NR problem. I believe to a NR hunter, the problem Oak has stated is a much greater problem.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back