Colorado Boycott?

Think people would be up in arms if they were giving them to SFW or BGF? But give them to landowners and you can't get anyone to say boo.

While you're boycotting, include Colorado Wildlife Federation, who testified in support of the bill.

As long as folks can buy their OTC elk tag, nothing else in Colorado matters :(

I'm currently boycotting all Nevada hunts, Montana sheep, goat, moose and Arizona sheep and deer. I suggest you all do the same.

I've said it a thousand times. Cutoff the eastern part of the state at the base of the mountains and give it to Kansas. I'm boycotting the Denver Metro area!

Hey now!!

Me and my wife have been residents since 05 and we both were in the 90s also. With the passage of legal dope, anti spring bear, pursuit with hounds, and now these dumb gun restrictions I'm over it. Coloado has changed so much since the 80s, mostly for the worse. Property values are extreme and lack of current jobs makes getting ahead tough. I have been working out of state in the energy field because of environmental restrictions and low price of natural gas. The next law they will pass will be same sex marriage. We don't want to raise our kids in that environment.

Concerning hunting I don't see people not coming out for fall hunts. Nonresidents love coming west for their yearly 5 day elk hunts. For residents getting to hunt 1 or 2 weekends a year is not real encouraging.

Bah, Colorado is THE premier Elk country in America. The success rate is TRIPLE that of MT.
With those in the thrust of boycotting Colorado this year... Man, what a great year to choose Colorado instead of say, MT! MT still needs a good 6 years to recover from the ravage of the wolf. Time to find your Colorado honeyhole and vest your future years in legendary hunts!

Bah, Colorado is THE premier Elk country in America. The success rate is TRIPLE that of MT.
With those in the thrust of boycotting Colorado this year... Man, what a great year to choose Colorado instead of say, MT! MT still needs a good 6 years to recover from the ravage of the wolf. Time to find your Colorado honeyhole and vest your future years in legendary hunts!

Really? Last year 215,326 Colorado elk hunters killed 43,490 elk, for slightly more than 20% success. Are you saying that success rates in MT are less than 7%?

Really? Last year 215,326 Colorado elk hunters killed 43,490 elk, for slightly more than 20% success. Are you saying that success rates in MT are less than 7%?

Yep. MT has gone doooownhill. ;)

Yes, Kent Ingram testified in favor of it because John Smeltzer was not available that day.

Here is an email conversation between me and a (unnamed here) CWF representative, after that representative told me they thought it was important to "maintain solid working relations" with landowners:

Hi [CWF],

Both you and xxxx have said that impasse was not an alternative. In my opinion, impasse was better than any "solution" which would give more hunting opportunity to landowners to sell to the highest bidder. I find it offensive that the only way landowners are willing to "maintain solid working relations" with hunters is by hunters giving them a larger piece of the pie. And if that is not the case, then what were some other options?

I am also disappointed that hunters did not get a real chance to comment on the proposed regulations prior to introduction of the bill. Director Cables presented the recommendations at meetings throughout the state, but he was very clear that he was moving them forward as they were, with no amendments. Why didn't the public get an opportunity to provide written comments on the plan? I feel like the public told the voucher committee that they had a sore big toe, and the committee opted to amputate at the ankle.

Non-transferable tags are a solution to allowing families to hunt on their own land.

I don't understand why you let 10% of the tags remain as unit-wide tags. I understand the argument that animals are not always on the lands during the hunting season. Other solutions to that problem include the landowner applying for game damage or asking for depredation hunts at other times of the year. Are you aware that there are areas in Colorado where we shoot elk from May 15 to Dec. 31?

I may have actually supported the proposal to increase the voucher percentage if a provision for loss of preference points when redeeming a buck or bull voucher was included. I would like to hear any logical explanation why those who get vouchers should be able to also continue to build preference points. For hunters who do not have access to vouchers, this bill is a double-edged sword. We lose opportunity on the front end by additional vouchers being taken from the draw pool, and we lose it on the back end by allowing those people to build points for the remaining licenses, thus causing point creep to accelerate. Point creep is an issue for which CDOW/CPW has attempted to find a solution for some time. Now they are proposing a bill that will make it worse.

Pictured below is my 3 year old son - "looking for deer in my 'noculars!" He is the one I think about when I lie awake at night thinking about this misguided voucher bill. I wish that others would have thought about him before supporting this bill, instead of how to better line the pockets of private interests in the state. Hunter gained next to nothing in this bill, and landowners and outfitters will be laughing all the way to the bank when it passes. I will be the one that has to explain to my son when he is old enough how he was sold out in the name of "solid working relations" with landowners.

I understand that we won't agree on this issue. I just wanted you to understand where the opposition is coming from.

Thanks,
[Oak]

Binos2_zpsbf751919.jpg

[Oak], I do appreciate the details of "why" you and others remains concerned. .... and I do understand the specific concerns but I'm more than a little hopeful (and equally optimistic) that landowner hunters and public lands hunters will continue to grow in their understanding that both groups need each other to be able to continue the hunting and angling traditions in Colorado, particularly in the face of such HUGE changes going on in our once singularly outdoor oriented state.

I believe that landowners need to continue to view wildlife as valuable to their future and hunters as a portion of the key to that success and I believe hunter/anglers need to recognize the value of landowner management of habitat and their increased tolerance for wildlife as elements in having a successful fall as well .... and in return our abundant wildlife will continue to prosper on both public and private lands. The idea being that everyone ultimately benefits, including the hunters and anglers of the future who are both of our passions.

The desired outcome is the continuation of a State filled with abundant wildlife and people interested and supportive of them as well.

I respect your opinion and passion ..... its far better to be engaged in the issue than to sit on the sidelines.

[CWF]

Last edited:
Yep. MT has gone doooownhill. ;)

I took a breath long enough to figure out that you were joking. ;)

But while we are on the subject of CO success rates, maybe you all would like to see how great it is here for over-the-counter bull hunting.

In 2012, 32,773 2nd season bull hunters killed 5,072 bulls, for a success rate of about 15.5%.

And 26,819 3rd season bull hunters killed 3,046 bulls, for a success rate of about 11.4%

Yep, OTC bull hunting would be a bargain at twice the price! :D I wonder what the success rates are for the unguided public land non-resident?

Well, lots of replies and some way to off topic stuff... Here's some more thoughts:

A boycott, by nature, is designed to hurt. In some cases, it hurts "innocents". But understand this: these are NOT anti-hunter or anti-hunting bills. They are fully anti-2nd Amendment bills. Anti-gun bills, plain and simple.

I agree that it would hurt the folks who work in that industry as well as tertiary ones (hotels, restaurants, gas stations, etc.). But you also have to understand that in every state there are the ill-informed voters. Also the ones who are apathetic. They just don't care because it doesn't "affect" them. Not interested.

Well, we all know the anti's are a lost cause. They are not the ones who's minds we're going to change. It's the apathetic voter. It's the ones who never see first hand the damage liberalism does and how it affects their pocket book. Want to get these politicians voted out? You need the "apathetic" voters. You need them to feel the pinch. You need them to understand what this really means and why they should vote differently next time.

And it's a lame excuse to say these bills dont' affect you as a hunter because you shoot only once, twice, not 15 times, etc. Again, this is NOT an anti hunting bill. It's anti-GUN ALL THE WAY. It's meant to make the meak, ill-informed masses feel good about themselves. And whether you like AR's or not, they are rifles nonetheless. Don't you think they would have come after MORE if they could? These people don't stop. That's what liberalism is.

I realized when I originally posted that it would ruffle a lot of feathers, as Colorado is a Mecca for a great portion of this forum. I would love to go myself. But whether you realize it or not, we are in a fight for this country. And in any fight, there is collateral damage. It's fine and dandy to respond to a post like mine saying, "...good, more tags for me..." Ok, all good and fun. But understand that once the cancer that is liberalism takes hold, it grows and is very very very difficult to push back. California. New York. New Jersey. Washington. My home state of Minnesota. They've made inroads in Montana. Colorado. Idaho. The list goes on.

So how do you push it back? By voting them out. Sounds simple, but HOW do you get the ignorant masses to show up and vote the right way? By making a point and making sure they understand how their voting, their actions (and more importantly INACTIONS) have devastating results.

Sorry if that sounds too crude and vengeful against "innocent bystanders", but I'm just about fed up.

Emrah

[ I wonder what the success rates are for the unguided public land non-resident?[/QUOTE]

0% for me and my 2 sons. 2 years, 18 days and miles of wilderness hiking has left us unsucessful in archery elk season.

Well, lots of replies and some way to off topic stuff... Here's some more thoughts:

A boycott, by nature, is designed to hurt. In some cases, it hurts "innocents". But understand this: these are NOT anti-hunter or anti-hunting bills. They are fully anti-2nd Amendment bills. Anti-gun bills, plain and simple.

I agree that it would hurt the folks who work in that industry as well as tertiary ones (hotels, restaurants, gas stations, etc.). But you also have to understand that in every state there are the ill-informed voters. Also the ones who are apathetic. They just don't care because it doesn't "affect" them. Not interested.

Well, we all know the anti's are a lost cause. They are not the ones who's minds we're going to change. It's the apathetic voter. It's the ones who never see first hand the damage liberalism does and how it affects their pocket book. Want to get these politicians voted out? You need the "apathetic" voters. You need them to feel the pinch. You need them to understand what this really means and why they should vote differently next time.

And it's a lame excuse to say these bills dont' affect you as a hunter because you shoot only once, twice, not 15 times, etc. Again, this is NOT an anti hunting bill. It's anti-GUN ALL THE WAY. It's meant to make the meak, ill-informed masses feel good about themselves. And whether you like AR's or not, they are rifles nonetheless. Don't you think they would have come after MORE if they could? These people don't stop. That's what liberalism is.

I realized when I originally posted that it would ruffle a lot of feathers, as Colorado is a Mecca for a great portion of this forum. I would love to go myself. But whether you realize it or not, we are in a fight for this country. And in any fight, there is collateral damage. It's fine and dandy to respond to a post like mine saying, "...good, more tags for me..." Ok, all good and fun. But understand that once the cancer that is liberalism takes hold, it grows and is very very very difficult to push back. California. New York. New Jersey. Washington. My home state of Minnesota. They've made inroads in Montana. Colorado. Idaho. The list goes on.

So how do you push it back? By voting them out. Sounds simple, but HOW do you get the ignorant masses to show up and vote the right way? By making a point and making sure they understand how their voting, their actions (and more importantly INACTIONS) have devastating results.

Sorry if that sounds too crude and vengeful against "innocent bystanders", but I'm just about fed up.

Emrah

Best Post I have read in a long, long time.
Thank you

Emrah echoed my thoughts exactly. Until the regular people feel the damage for their actions (or inactions) things wont change.

Oak
I took a breath long enough to figure out that you were joking

Heck Oak, a 4 year old with a voucher and a crossbow needs someplace to hunt...win win?:)

Heck Oak, a 4 year old with a voucher and a crossbow needs someplace to hunt...win win?:)

Your right, NHY! That is the other thing to worry about... MT has thousands of 4 year olds climbin the mtns whispering, "Shhh.. I'm huntin wabbits!" Carrying da-da's 300 Weatherby. :eek: Another reason to hunt CO.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back