Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Changes to Hunt Talk

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
In the coming weeks you are going to see some changes to the look of Hunt Talk. I will explain them below.

Video tab - We are in the process of building a YouTube Channel for On Your Own Adventures, the TV show. We will no longer have the video tab here. It is expensive to stream/store videos on proprietary streaming platforms. By building a YouTube Channel, we eliminate the storage/streaming cost and you will all be able to watch everything for free, as they are loaded to the channel.

That will put a serious dent in my DVD sales, but the dent it puts there is probably less than the cost I have incurred for storage and streaming. And, the YouTube Channel allows us to put a lot of cool stuff besides just past episodes.

Resources tab - This may disappear. Not sure yet. It gets very little traffic. In our effort to clean up the site and make it look more fresh, that might be gone.

TV Show tab - This is going to change in one of two ways. We will use that for explaining our new show, Fresh Tracks on Sportsman Channel and On Your Own Adventures on YouTube. We might end up with two tabs, one for each of the shows. Not sure on that yet, either.

Hunt Talk advertising - You are going to see more advertising. I have entered into a six-month deal with a large national advertiser. They will take over serving ads on the top, as we have in the past. They will also have an ad on the right column of the site border. And, they will have a pop-up ad that will occasionally pop-up at the bottom of the screen. You can close that ad, if you so choose.

We will see how it works for six months, then decide what the permanent solution will be.

I am saving some ad spots for our TV sponsors. You will also see our TV sponsors being listed as sponsor of certain forums. We will also promote them more on the "Partners" tag of our TV show, possibly even adding a Partners section within the Hunt Talk forum.

Right now, the site is costing me about $30,000 per year. All the ads you see here are free of charge to our TV show partners, generating no additional revenue.

I know some will complain about the ads, especially the pop-up ads. I would ask that you accept that slight inconvenience as the value of having this site provided for free.

I had considered a subscription model and was very close to going that route for some additional features. But, that was more work, a little more revenue from those wanting the additional features, yet not enough to make a difference in the net financial picture.

By reducing some of the site activity in the video and resource pages, my hosting, storage, and streaming costs will go down. By selling the majority of the ad space, revenue will help reduce the cost I incur to keep this site up and running.

So with that, feel free to provide comments. Just understand that the decisions have been made, so your comments are probably an exercise in typing skills. :p

I know some will complain about the ads, especially the pop-up ads. I would ask that you accept that slight inconvenience as the value of having this site provided for free.

Some people should just keep their mouth shut :) It don't take a rocket surgeon to know somebody has to put in the work ($) to make this place go...if you aren't paying for it, you're what's for sale.

I had considered a subscription model and was very close to going that route for some additional features. But, that was more work, a little more revenue from those wanting the additional features, yet not enough to make a difference in the net financial picture.

I'd pay $.99 a year to get live updates as to when you are consuming Starbucks or DQ.

As long as we have Texans to make fun of, we won't even notice the pop-ups ;)

Thanks for keeping up this wonderful site Randy!

Just understand that the decisions have been made, so your comments are probably an exercise in typing skills. :p

At least you're upfront and honest about that and that is a good thing, there are always bumps on the road to change. Every time Ford, Chevy, John Deere, etc. makes changes I usually state that I like the old one better, then before long I'm looking for the new one because I now like it more.

Didn't I read that the Outdoors channel is acquiring the Sportsman Channel? If so, what are your plans for the television program, since I seem to remember your utmost dislike of the OC?

I know this is straying from the topic, but it came to mind as I read your post.

Resources tab - This may disappear. Not sure yet. It gets very little traffic. In our effort to clean up the site and make it look more fresh, that might be gone.

I stopped clicking when the draw odds site started charging... :eek:

Didn't I read that the Outdoors channel is acquiring the Sportsman Channel? If so, what are your plans for the television program, since I seem to remember your utmost dislike of the OC?

I know this is straying from the topic, but it came to mind as I read your post.

The deal was structured that SC would acquire OC. A new offer for OC was made this week, clouding the final outcome of the SC acquisition of OC.

Regardless if that acquisition goes through, we are full steam ahead with Sportsman Channel. I think people will like what is in store with our show, shows we will be doing projects with, and Sportsman Channel itself.

Holy smokes, Fin. You're going from $1,000,000 a year to $1,030,000. How much money do you really need?

Whatever you need to do to keep everything rolling, I'm 100% behind you. You are about the only thing enjoyable in the outdoor industry anymore and I mean that from TV, to the website, to what you do for sportsmen, the whole nine yards.

Charge a stipend for hawkers, misinformed Texas aspersions, petulant Texans, and the Montana CSPAN stuff and you'll do better than break even Fin.:p

What will comprise the OYOA youtube product ?

Looks like OC is kicking SC to the curb and going with Kroenke.

Thanks for the explanation. I'll gladly deal with those perceived inconveniences to be able to lurk around, and learn from this place!

Do what you gotta do Randy. Looking forward to Fresh Tracks. There's gotta be a sizzle reel in the works, no?

........ Looking forward to Fresh Tracks. There's gotta be a sizzle reel in the works, no?

Got a first draft this morning. Needs some work before finalizing, but is really cool. I suspect it will be a few weeks before finalized. You will see it here, first. ;)

Thanks for being up front about this. If it comes down to some type of subscription model now or in the future, I would be willing to take some from my limited beer fund to 'scribe. Dang! I would think that at least you need to work where you can break even. You may want to talk to an accountant:D

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back