Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New Mexico Ibex

Okay guys,

So I just joined and as I posted in the introduction section, I have drawn the ibex once-in-a-life-time hunt in the Florida Mountains. Bobby dean over at that post said you should plan to take a shot at 300 to 500 yards. My inclination is to bring my Browning BAR in 300 Win Mag, but that also seems like overkill. Distance wise it seems like a good choice, but thus far the gun is my dedicated elk rifle (a much larger animal). What do people typically use when they hunt ibex? I assume at 300 to 500 yards I will take a stationary shot with my rifle resting on a boulder or a pack, is that the case? Since the goat is relatively small should I be planning to use a .223 or .243 instead? That would certainly be much easier to get up the mountain.

I feel way underqualified for this hunt. I am by no means the best hunter and accuracy is not my strong point. I am most at home hunting sprinting jackrabbits with a 12 gauge not long distance shooting, but I can do it.

The Florida Mountains are mostly public land and easy to access off Camino Doce Road as well as some other routes. I have seen guys use guides and others do it solo. The part I didn't like was most guides are sitting at the bottom guiding hunters in with radios, cheating as far as I am concerned. I have hiked those hills a bunch and have done numerous search and rescues off of there, The terrain is brutal but doable. I moved away from there a couple years ago and miss those mountains.

Anyone know anything about 505 Outfitters, Compass West, or South Peak Outfitters for this hunt? I am willing to use a service to up my odds to my lifetime on this draw, but would love input on any experiences anyone has with a quality guide service on this one. Thanks!

Anyone know anything about 505 Outfitters, Compass West, or South Peak Outfitters for this hunt? I am willing to use a service to up my odds to my lifetime on this draw, but would love input on any experiences anyone has with a quality guide service on this one. Thanks!
Outfitter odds aren't significantly higher.

All are solid. Drawing is still the hardest part. With that tho the ibex numbers are on such a decline that even with an outfitter can’t count on getting a shot at one

Trigger50, there is access to public land. There are few tags for trophy Ibex. The Floridas are rough, I mean rough country. Doable? Yes!
Frankly I would book a trip to Spain for Ibex. We, my wife and I, hunted Spain in Set. 2022. Great scenery, food and history. I took a good Gredoes Ibex and a good Beceite Ibex. Fantastic hunt. MTG

Trigger50, there is access to public land. There are few tags for trophy Ibex. The Floridas are rough, I mean rough country. Doable? Yes!
Frankly I would book a trip to Spain for Ibex. We, my wife and I, hunted Spain in Set. 2022. Great scenery, food and history. I took a good Gredoes Ibex and a good Beceite Ibex. Fantastic hunt. MTG
what did your Spanish expedition set you back, if I may ask? How was getting the trophy back to the states?

Back