Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

New Mexico Ibex

Trigger50

What's the scoop on New Mexico Ibex? If a person is lucky enough to draw the tag...is it a doable OYOA ? Are the Ibex accessible on public land? This is the most important issue whether or not I bother starting the app process yr after yr. Thanks :)

Last edited:
Depends on how bad you want an ibex? Plenty of options in the asian countries for relatively affordable ibex hunting although the ones in NM would be an interesting hunt. From some of the pictures i have seen there is some nice ibex taken there, just would pay to do your research on the hunts as always.

-Non residents and residents are in the same drawing pool, all with the same odds.
-There is a few different weapon hunts for them with varying draw odds for each hunt.
-I believe in 2011 the rifle draw odds were over 1 in 200, the muzz were 1 in 43 and the
archery hunts 1 in 5 or so.

If i was to apply i know what weapon i would be applying for.

What have you read about them so far, its always good to learn from others and their research.

gota get the tag, after that it's not too bad once you get on the Mt. A buddy of mine's son has killed a cpl. It's mostly if not all, public land.

BOY has killed both a billy and a nanny on public land. This year's nanny hunt was a two day afair. Spotted 'em on day one, hiked a bunch in the dark on day 2 and shot one that morning. From the pics it looks like steep rocky clifty terrain with plants that want to poke you! That said, the draw odds are long, but I'd say it's doable without a guide. I plan on throwing my name in the hat...

I just called NMDFG today about the hunt. The seasons runs all of Feb & March or until 125 nannies are killed. OTC - $111 for resident, $1630 for non-resident. Too much $$$ for a nanny tag. I'll pay that for a trophy ram tag. I can see maybe $500 for a nanny.

Doing a little research(Dreaming) today. Has anyone done this hunt since this thread?So if not drawn as a Non resident you get your 1600 back minus the 7 dollar fee?

They changed the rules and started applying the NR quota last year (or year before?), so your odds will suck if you are a non-resident. Going in the guided pool might help your chances of drawing, I haven't looked closely. You will get all of your $ back except the $13 application fee. You will have to also buy a "game hunting" license, but you can get a refund for that if you check the correct box in the application process, some guys miss it.

It is possible to do it DIY, but having a guide for the archery hunts will greatly increase your chance of shooting something, the archery success rate is typically < 10%. Rifle and mzl harvest rates are much higher, but have lottery type draw odds. I have only hunted it once, archery in 2014, it kicked my butt. It was my first time on the rock and I had a bad chest cold which made it tougher. Saw lots of ibex but never even got within rifle range. It is virtually all public land. There are some good videos if you search the www.

Good luck if you give it a try.
JR

I have never hunted them here ,yet. But know many who have and say it's a blast. Rough hunt.

I do know a great outfitter/guide I'd recommend. Best game eyes I know.
He guided for Ibex ,Oryx,elk,mulies,coues this year did good.

His hunter on the Florida DBHS took a pending potential record ram .

Last edited:
I think a NR both drawing a tag and then bagging a trophy male ibex is going to be about I in 3500 odds. The NR classification (all weapons, youth, military) got 20 of 315 Ibex tags last draw. 1146 NR applied. 20/1146 = 1/57 odds = 1.75% draw odds for NR. 5 or so studs are harvested each year. That is 5/315 tags = 1.6% stud success rate. So, 1.75% chance you get a tag as a NR then 1.6% chance you bag a stud. The odds draw plus then harvest a stud ibex means you are not one of the 98.25% of failed applicants and then, during the 2 out of 100 years you draw the ibex tag, that you are not one 98 out of 100 that do not bag a stud. 1.6% x 1.75% = 0.028% predicted success of drawing a tag in 2015 then bagging a stud as a NR. = 1/3572. So is possible.

I would consider any Ibex taken with a bow a trophy. Very cool animals maybe someday they won't send me my money back : )

Woah!!

I freaked out until I saw that the posts mentioning a nanny hunt were from 3 years ago. Regardless, this is a hunt I put in for (I'm a resident) every year and just assume that I won't draw.

I just got an email today asking if I'd like to participate in the Female/immature population management hunt. YES PLEASE!!!!
I went with a friend on the muzzie hunt a few years ago. It is some serious terrain. I can't wait to get back out there.

Andy

I have applied probably 10 times as a resident and never drew.

Have friends who shot trophies.

Watch out for rattlesnakes, Might consider a mountain lion tag. I think the cat likes goat for dinner.

Bringing this back to the top. Anyone else get a call this year for a March 2018 nanny ibex hunt? I hunted in 2016 and got lucky on a nanny but no billy tag in the extra draw. This year there are 5 billy tags for an expected 250 successful nanny hunters. For the adventure and the expense it's worth it to me. Going to be sure to put a mt lion tag in my pocket as well. I saw 3 lions last trip in 2 days.

I'll be applying this year for the first time, and according to GoHunt the draw odds for archery were 35% for the October archery season, is this right? Also i see the talk about the numerous lions on "the rock" is there really that many that its worth having a lion tag?

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tracker boat
Back