First Elk

ironranger

My grandfather went on his first elk hunt with my Uncle in Colorado at the young age of 75. He wasn't able to get around as well as the younger guys so he stayed down lower while the rest hiked up the mountain. Well, he found a spot with a good game trail and waited. Later that morning he harvested his first and last elk. I heard the story every time I saw him and only wish that I could hear it one more time. Every time he told it he'd get a tear in his eye and tell me how majestic and beautiful that elk truely was. He was very passionate about family and the blessed life that he had lived. He and my grandmother were married 77 years when he died at age 99. They spend many years together hunting and fishing in Montana after he retired from Minnesota Power. Good memories.....

GrandpaElk.jpg

Man that is awesome i have a pic that has been lost for a decade or me of my grandfather and i with my first deer and a deer he shot that day as well...id give anything to get that pic back now that he is gone

Love this! Does someone in the family still have the rack or the rifle to pass down? Keep the story alive for many generations.

Wonderful memories you have there. It looks like Gramps and his Remington semi-auto got the job done just fine. You're lucky to have been able to hunt with your Grandpa.

That is so great! I'm not sure there is too many things that I connect to more than another hunter's respect for the animal(s) they hunt. What an awesome memory.
Did your grandpa know he was supposed to wear orange, though?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back