Caribou Gear

Elk .... Let's see them!!!

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Here's the deal. Since the "Let's see them" pronghorn thread is one of the most viewed on this site, and most viewed by lurkers, I am thinking we should do the same with elk and show how many elk guys on this site take.

This thread will be a "sticky thread" and be at the top of the Elk Forum, from here on out. It doesn't matter when you shot it, how you shot it, or if you were just the person helping, this is the thread to post elk pictures. No need to post a long story, just a pic and a few notes about the hunt.

Be as specific or vague as you want, as far as location.

Here goes.

2005 - Missouri River Breaks rifle tag. My son's first elk. Most fun I ever had on an elk hunt. We were joined by my brother, Logdawg.

IMG_0177-1.jpg

Thanks for doing this. I hope this thread becomes as popular as the pronghorn thread. I know you guys have shot a lot of elk, so post 'em up right here, even if they have previsouly been posted on another thread.

Here's my best elk. Shot in 2010 on public land in New Mexico.

2010_NM_Elk_1.jpg

2010_NM_Elk_2.jpg

The rest of mine would be more appropriately posted in the raghorn express threads! ;)

2005 - Arizona Unit 10, early rifle. Again assisted by NVLongbow, Jereep, and along with Uncle Larry. Some good locations provided by AZ402, even though he could not join us.

Saw a true giant two nights before season opened. Hunted for him pretty much every day, passing some really good bulls in the process. Passed this one earlier in the hunt before he lost his fifth point on the passenger side.

Ended up rolling the dice and lost, but would probably do the same thing all over if I had the same chance, given how big that pre-scouted bull was. Sometimes finding a big one before season can be a curse, causing you to foresake all others. In Unit 10, some of those you foresake would be lunkers on any other hunt.

Randy's AZ Bull.jpg

Here's is my one-and-only elk (not to mention the first big game animal I ever took). Shot in 2008 out of a drop camp in the Flattop Wilderness of Colorado. Opening morning of the second rifle season and whole herd showed up right on cue. This bull was down 10 minutes after shooting hours opened. Since then I've struck out on archery elk hunts in Idaho and twice in New Mexico. He's not a bruiser by any means, but the advice was if it's legal, shoot! Always be special as my first one...
Firstelk.jpg

Back