Jetboil fuel canisters

Arrowslinger

Does anyone have a way to combine all my partial jetboil canisters into a couple full canisters? I like to have a full canister for obvious reasons so have ended up with quite a few partial cans I need used up. I prefer to not carry 5 partial canisters up a mountain. Any tricks?

If you were to connect 2 canisters directly, all that would happen is the pressures would equalize. You would have to have a way to pressurize one canister in order to cause the gas to flow to the lower pressure canister. You could possibly do this by heating one canister (increases pressure) and freezing the other (decreases pressure)...don't know how safe this would be :confused:

Jetboil uses a mixture of isobutane/propane. according to their website "Propane provides higher vapor pressure for better performance in cold weather. Isobutane provides more constant pressure as the fuel level gets low."

...if you were satisfied going with only propane (and i'm not sure the jetboil is made to run on pure propane), you could fill from a BBQ tank by doing this.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=353x679
but you would need to make some sort of adapter to fit the jetpower canister.

here's another link on the subject
http://www.survivalmonkey.com/threads/anybody-refill-isobutane-canisters.18217/

personally, until something is invented to do this the right way, i will continue to throw away my low canisters and buy a new one. my opinion is that my safety is worth more than the $5/canister you might save...

Does anyone have a way to combine all my partial jetboil canisters into a couple full canisters? I like to have a full canister for obvious reasons so have ended up with quite a few partial cans I need used up. I prefer to not carry 5 partial canisters up a mountain. Any tricks?

Use the partial ones for hot coffee or a hot lunch during day hunts in the middle of November.

Everything I've read on this states that this isn't a safe thing to do. I know it's irritating to have a bunch of half full cans, but I deal with it.

Use the partial ones for hot coffee or a hot lunch during day hunts in the middle of November.

Spot on! I always carry fully ones and leave the partial ones back in camp for cooking with, boiling water for hot cocoa, or whatever.

What these guys said! I'm a pretty big wuss and technically challenged, so the idea of trying to fill up pressurized flamables is probably a good way for me to get more disfigured or for my wife to collect on some life insurance. Not worth it to me for the $6.78 I'd save...

Buy a primus lantern and use them with that. That's what I do. You use up the partial canisters and get some good light from them at the same time

I just mark them and set aside if have used them for few days. Keep used ones in truck to make coffee and cup of noddles

I purchased an adapter to fill the cans with butane from the Asian supermarket. Works great. It was $4-5 from Taiwan. I too got sick of half full cans. I’m not gonna bring a bunch of half used cans with me. No idea if they still make this thing.

I just mark them and set aside if have used them for few days. Keep used ones in truck to make coffee and cup of noddles

That is what I do, carry a full one, leave the half empty at the truck and use it there. Sometimes I'll carry a partial one on a day hunt. Not the end of the world if it uses up before i'm done boiling water.
I'll leave it to the engineers here to figure out how to swap volumes. Enough things can go wrong. I try to KISS when possible. :hump:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back