Yeti coolers...?

I've used Yeti coolers twice; once on a hunt in the mountains and once to keep water cool during a Relay for Life event. Both times I was very disappointed with the coolers and their inability to keep ice as ice. They were different coolers and different sizes also, so I know it wasn't just a bad cooler. For the price, I will never own one...and I really wanted one prior to my 2 experiences! I'll stick with the coolers I've got and use the extra $$$ for diesel fuel!

Check out the rubermaid marine coolers they have pretty good ratings and are around $100.00.

I have a 85 qt yeti and we got it last year for when we go into the Bob Marshall for 2 weeks during Bow season which temps are usually between 75 and 90 . We pack dry ice in bottom and put our frozen meat on top and it lasted us 9 days about 4 to 5 days longer than our normal coolers we take in which made a big difference for us cause i like to eat good no freeze dried stuff for me so for us the yeti has worked out. It is also tougher which helps when the pack horse wants to every tree on the way in. The first year we went in our cooler cracked from horse walking into the tree with pack. Also i got mine on sale for 275 bucks.

I can't see spending that kind of money on a cooler. I have 2 coleman 55 quart coolers that I modified and use. I went to a camping world and bought a few rolls of the reflective bubble wrap and lined the insides with that. I made the pieces removable and just used gorilla tape to hold them together. With all sides and the top and bottoms covered, they hold ice easily twice as long as they used too. This added almost no weight, takes up almost no interior space, and was way cheaper.

I can't see spending that kind of money on a cooler. I have 2 coleman 55 quart coolers that I modified and use. I went to a camping world and bought a few rolls of the reflective bubble wrap and lined the insides with that. I made the pieces removable and just used gorilla tape to hold them together. With all sides and the top and bottoms covered, they hold ice easily twice as long as they used too. This added almost no weight, takes up almost no interior space, and was way cheaper.

This thread was almost 5 1/2 years old.

Last edited:
I have the same cooler, 200qt Coleman marine cooler. Got mine on sale for ~$275 a couple years ago. It easily holds 4 quartered antelope with ice. Everything was still cold with some ice remaining on the drive back from Wyoming to Pa.

I looked at the customer ratings on Cabela's website before I made the decision on which coolers to take on my moose hunt. Overall, the 200-quart Coleman had better reviews than the Yetti. The price was better also.

I am completely satisfied with the giant Colemans. In the three-day trip back from Newfoundland in warm weather, we had no problem keeping ice in them. They are very durably made, also.

I bought them when my wife still worked for Cabela's, so the discount was nice, too!

RTIC......I have the 65 (wife got it for me for Christmas last year @+-$150 on sale) and it is bombproof. I Also have 2 of the RTIC double wall jugs that work great. Very good value for the money. https://www.rticcoolers.com/shop/co...or $235 on sale....that is a SCREAMING deal.]

Like my RTIC softie..works as advertised. Do keep the zipper lubed.

Like my old bomb proof 85 qt YETI...tough enough to achieve fossil status.

I have a canyon cooler, very nice cooler and a lot less than a yeti. I much prefer the latches and smooth sides of the canyon as well. My canyon 75 has about the same exterior dimensions as my dad's pelican 65 and the performance is nearly identical. I did a ton of research looking for a bear certified cooler and went with the canyon. Like with any of the expensive coolers, pre chilling and filling them completely makes a huge difference.

My firend has a Yeti 65 and an Engel 65. The Engel does twice as good as the Yeti on our Fishing trips on the Deschutes River in Oregon in August

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back