Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Yeti coolers...?

I read a comparison either in Outdoor Life or Field & Stream and the Cabelas cooler walked away with the win. I have an Orion 65 and plan on getting an 85 as well. Couldn't be more happy with it.

I got an Igloo STX cooler at a wounded warrior hunt a while back and I can say I'm thoroughly impressed. That's going to be my go to cooler from now on when I buy new coolers.

I'd suggest checking out Orca as well if a high end cooler is in your price range. Did a whole bunch of research on Yeti vs other brands and my understanding is that Yeti broke into the market with the same technology then that they are still using today. My Orca is 140qt BEAST. Way overkill and pretty heavy at 40lbs empty but man will it retain ice. Highly suggest Orca if ice retention is the priority.

I have also had good luck with Colmann Marine Extreme coolers. Easily still have ice left after a 8+ day trip. (Frozen milk jugs)

hey Oak, I have the Cabelas brand 65 quart cooler and it has a pressure release valve/button to combat this problem. Its wider than the yeti, with the molded in handles, and heavy as s*&% but man does it keep stuff frozen forever. it's really impressive.

I got a good deal on a Yeti this spring and have been using it in the field this summer. It does keep ice quite well even though I am in and out of it frequently and don't take steps to keep it out of the sun. It sits right inside my tailgate and sometimes get pounded by the sun.

One issue I have with the cooler that almost has me going back to a cheapo Coleman. The gasket in the lid works TOO well. If I drop 500-1000 feet in elevation (which can happen several times a day while working), I can't get the lid of the cooler open without tipping the cooler up on end and opening the drain plug to equalize the pressure. I've been thinking about what kind of modification to make that won't compromise the cooler too much and will remedy the problem. Anyone else experience this? I think it would be handy if they put another plug in the lid or in the side near the top that could be unscrewed.

I'm sure they would work great for flatlanders or for uses that don't require you to get in them frequently.

hey Oak, I have the Cabelas brand 65 quart cooler and it has a pressure release valve/button to combat this problem. Its wider than the yeti, with the molded in handles, and heavy as s*&% but man does it keep stuff frozen forever. it's really impressive.

I was looking at them at Bass Pro the other day. I know they get the best ratings and seem bomb proof but I have to say the handle thing really does bother me. What were they thinking?

I've had good luck with the "Igloo Marine Cooler". The larger ones can fit 2 quartered deer and will keep ice for 3-5 days in Texas heat. Keeping ice down here is a feat in it's self as I'm sure Noharleyyet can vouch for. And they are way cheaper too.

This is what I use. Keeps ice frozen for at least 6 days. Never wished for anything better.

I looked at the customer ratings on Cabela's website before I made the decision on which coolers to take on my moose hunt. Overall, the 200-quart Coleman had better reviews than the Yetti. The price was better also.

I am completely satisfied with the giant Colemans. In the three-day trip back from Newfoundland in warm weather, we had no problem keeping ice in them. They are very durably made, also.

I bought them when my wife still worked for Cabela's, so the discount was nice, too!

What size and how many coolers did you have for your hunt I'm headed to newfoundland this fall for moose as well
Thanks robert

I've got 2 cabelas coolers. Both purchased with point so kinda free. If you prechill I've put block ice in there and then pulled it out 14days later after an unsuccessful hunt with only 15% melt. I keep my ice blocks in the deep freeze at -20. I've not only cooled elk down but partially froze it on the way home.

Not sure if it's been mentioned or if it makes any difference to any of you. But Yeti has pulled it affiliation with NRA.

Hmmmm?? All very interesting.....

Coolers seem to be getting like outdoor hunting boots. Lots of choices and certainly experiences and situations that warrant one very heavily over the other amongst them all.

My wife and I used Colemans for years. We then went to a Yeti and wouldn't have anything else. We now have three different sizes to fit our needs for the trips and things we are doing. I have had original ice, albeit supplemented some though the time frames used, last for three weeks straight in the early fall. For us... they have worked great for meat storage while out on a trip and hunt.

For me personally when I read the word "Coleman" backwards it comes back as "Worthless". But just my experience.

As a few have mentioned above and I have learned more with the use of these Coolers.... There are a number of "little tricks" and things to do while you are using them to optimize their capabilities. As everyone well knows.

Strangely enough, not one "super cooler" company's marketing program has been able to make me believe any cooler is worth a car payment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back