Yeti coolers...?

I won a Yeti two years ago. It's a nice cooler but it's just too dang heavy. I grab my cheap igloo more often.

Sitka sells gloves for $99-150... That price must make the gloves that much better... Yeti / Sitka stickers on trucks bring a cool factor worth every penny.

So, this thread coming up again got me looking a little (as you know I have an RTIC 65 and am very happy). I clicked on the Orion link and scoped out their 65.......Sweet Baby Jeebus!!! I believe they are great coolers but at more than THREE times the cost of my RTIC (which isn't cheap to begin with)?......I simply can't see $500 ($400 for last years closeouts) for a 65qt.

SFC B, yeah I'm a little surprised they haven't even tried to lower their prices. There's too many competitors doing it way cheaper and arguably just as well. Plus, they don't have the marketing machine that Yeti has.

SFC B, yeah I'm a little surprised they haven't even tried to lower their prices. There's too many competitors doing it way cheaper and arguably just as well. Plus, they don't have the marketing machine that Yeti has.

But that would be value destroying. They aren't trying to sell a cooler to every person in the world at a $10 profit. They are trying to cherry-pick the top 5% of brand and ego aware consumers who give them $100 profit per cooler. They are more likely to find more adjacent products to sell to the brand loyal (and premium paying) few rather than drop their prices. But as a 95%'er, no way I am giving them that premium for a name on a box.

I guess it really depends on how you expect to use the cooler. I bought a Yeti 65 about a year ago and overall it’s performed admirably. I think sometimes we expect too much. They aren’t refrigerators after all. Mine has been in the back of my truck from the very beginning. I precooled it for 3 days with ice before adding drinks. It’s had beer and Gatorade in it ever since. I probably add a bag or two of ice every 7-8 days and only drain enough water to add new ice or drinks. Water drainage is very important here. As long as you still have some ice only drain as much water as is necessary. If all the ice is gone then you need to pack it with as much ice as possible and then go back to draining only as much water as is necessary. This is how I use mine and so it works very well for me. If you’re only using it for trips and such then just make sure you precool it and keep a good balance of new ice and water already in the cooler as you add your drinks and food. There are other good coolers on the market however. My father-in-law bought an Ozark Trail rotomolded cooler and it’s done pretty well but when it’s hot outside I can tell his doesn’t hold the ice and cold water like the Yeti does.

One last bit of advice. Try adding some kind of block ice periodically. I’ve taken to freezing gallon freezer bags 3/4 full of water in the deep freeze. I’ll add one every several days. It takes nearly 2 weeks for each block to melt this time year.

Just got a 75 for my camper. Since we are living in the camper I use it for ice. It’s holds ice for over a week if I keep it out of the sun.

I have never had a Yeti and cant see spending the cash. I did pick up a slightly used K2 and have been impressed.

http://k2-coolers.com/

For those interested in a K2 checkout their website and keep an eye out of the scratch and dent coolers. It can be like watching camofire waiting until the one you want is in stock. I've purchased 3 and only one I noticed minor cosmetic flaws. All of them I put my own scratches and dents.
I will admit that I do not think K2 is as good as Yeti or Pelican judging from the seal. Very close but not consistently there. But for the price especially when buying scratch and dent it's worth it for me.

I will never buy yeti after them dumping on the n r a,,,yeti can go elseware for my sportsman dollars,,ha.don't mess with the 2nd yeti.

There is a company making quality coolers Cordova out of Nampa Idaho. Haven't seen one yet local feed st or D & B supply is suppose to start carrying them. Something else to think about.

I read a review that showed the Cabelas brand coolers were as good or better than the Yetis/Orions. Still a pretty hefty price on them though!

Pelican Elite Cooler series. Made in the USA with a lifetime warranty. However, with that, they are not a $ saver vs YETI. Only $40 less for a 50qt cooler.

I originally thought RTIC would be my route however, they are NOT made in the USA and have a crappy warranty - 1 year. Get what you pay for and made in USA, I'll pay for when dealing with my primary tools, as often as possible.

My pick:
Then there are Grizzly Coolers. Not accounting for sales/discounts, approx $100 less than YETI and 10 qt larger.
G60 ice duration: 90* multiple openings during testing. 8 Days and 6 Hours.
Made in the USA, lifetime warranty. This is on order and hope it arrives in time for this Spring bear hunt.
https://www.amazon.com/stores/GrizzlyCoolers/Coolers/page/7937FDB9-8684-4CA1-BC0E-0DF06C7E26FB

Last edited:
Buy once, cry once. Go with the Yeti and pass on the Kool Aid.

Mmmm all the tests I have seen Yeti wasn't even in the top 5.

And every test I have read shows it top 2. Google is your friend. You won’t be the cool guy at the trailhead sporting a Coleman sticker.

#nonrakoolaid

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back