Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Yeti coolers...?

JohnCushman

I'm looking in to getting a new cooler or two. Before I drop $500 on a Yeti cooler...are they worth the money? What's anyone else using for warm weather antelope hunting and such?

When prepped like they tell you to do it, they perform. Heavy and rugged....did I mention they were heavy?

I've had good luck with the "Igloo Marine Cooler". The larger ones can fit 2 quartered deer and will keep ice for 3-5 days in Texas heat. Keeping ice down here is a feat in it's self as I'm sure Noharleyyet can vouch for. And they are way cheaper too.

Very cool video. I have 2 of the exact same 'extreme' coolers..I believe 55 quart. I also have one that's 120 quarts. I'm not at all happy with how the 120 quart holds ice or any of it's performance. I want a couple of good coolers for antelope hunting out of state and elk hunting where I'm far away from home.

Why do you need a cooler for John? I didn't think there were Elk in Co.:D:D

I saw one in a Mag. a few days ago that I thought was a different version of a yetti. I'll try to find it again and give you the name. pretty much same type functions just different brand, and maybe a little cheaper.

I need to get with you on some of our plans. Its been hectic here with the storm the last few weeks and getting everythig caught back up. The Quarterlys for the bus., grass, tree trimming, etc. lol. The Big one a D.O.T. audit coming up friday.

I looked at the customer ratings on Cabela's website before I made the decision on which coolers to take on my moose hunt. Overall, the 200-quart Coleman had better reviews than the Yetti. The price was better also.

I am completely satisfied with the giant Colemans. In the three-day trip back from Newfoundland in warm weather, we had no problem keeping ice in them. They are very durably made, also.

I bought them when my wife still worked for Cabela's, so the discount was nice, too!

John:

This company is 10 miles to the north of me and makes these coolers. I have used some "seconds" which were purchased for a cheap price. I used it in Wymoing last year for antelope and after 8 days the block ice was still 1/2 of original. This was with limited opening for food and packing game.

http://www.grizzlycoolers.com/catalog/grizzly-hunting-coolers.html

good luck to all
the dog

Hey David...I know there's no elk in Colorado, but I wanna look cool like the other hunters we'll be around...lol

Thanks for the links and advice, guys...definitely good stuff to look in to

John:

This company is 10 miles to the north of me and makes these coolers. I have used some "seconds" which were purchased for a cheap price. I used it in Wymoing last year for antelope and after 8 days the block ice was still 1/2 of original. This was with limited opening for food and packing game.

http://www.grizzlycoolers.com/catalog/grizzly-hunting-coolers.html

good luck to all
the dog

I sat next to the son-in-law of the owner this winter, flying home from Vegas. I think he was coming home from the SCI or one of the shows.

Seemed like a pretty good product they have. Although I have not picked one up yet.

I got a good deal on a Yeti this spring and have been using it in the field this summer. It does keep ice quite well even though I am in and out of it frequently and don't take steps to keep it out of the sun. It sits right inside my tailgate and sometimes get pounded by the sun.

One issue I have with the cooler that almost has me going back to a cheapo Coleman. The gasket in the lid works TOO well. If I drop 500-1000 feet in elevation (which can happen several times a day while working), I can't get the lid of the cooler open without tipping the cooler up on end and opening the drain plug to equalize the pressure. I've been thinking about what kind of modification to make that won't compromise the cooler too much and will remedy the problem. Anyone else experience this? I think it would be handy if they put another plug in the lid or in the side near the top that could be unscrewed.

I'm sure they would work great for flatlanders or for uses that don't require you to get in them frequently.

I got a good deal on a Yeti this spring and have been using it in the field this summer. It does keep ice quite well even though I am in and out of it frequently and don't take steps to keep it out of the sun. It sits right inside my tailgate and sometimes get pounded by the sun.

One issue I have with the cooler that almost has me going back to a cheapo Coleman. The gasket in the lid works TOO well. If I drop 500-1000 feet in elevation (which can happen several times a day while working), I can't get the lid of the cooler open without tipping the cooler up on end and opening the drain plug to equalize the pressure. I've been thinking about what kind of modification to make that won't compromise the cooler too much and will remedy the problem. Anyone else experience this? I think it would be handy if they put another plug in the lid or in the side near the top that could be unscrewed.

I'm sure they would work great for flatlanders or for uses that don't require you to get in them frequently.
Think you can crack the inside stuffing an elk quarter in there? ;)

Interesting issue with the change in elevation, wouldn't have thought of that. For my uses, the cheaper Coleman's haven't come up short yet. But, my life is very tame compared to most here...

Check out Brute. They are cheaper than Yeti and apparently just as good...they just don't have the array of size choices Yeti and Engel have. I have a $25 coupon code as well which would basically cover your shipping. I'll send it to you if you want.

http://www.bruteoutdoors.com/

The Engel was actually the first to market in what we consider the "Yeti Cooler Category" and are a little less $.

I'm looking in to getting a new cooler or two. Before I drop $500 on a Yeti cooler...are they worth the money? What's anyone else using for warm weather antelope hunting and such?

Too heavy to get in and out of a plane but stay put right where you put them on a tuna boat.

I think they weigh more than they are worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crookhunt
Back