PEAX Equipment

H4831SC for 270 Win

I have never loaded the .270, but I have to agree that H4831sc is a great powder. I loaded it in my 7mags a lot until I found RL22 and RL25. I would look real close at a load of RL22 in your rifle. It is real great powder. I use with my 139 grain Hornady loads for my 7 mag and also for 100 grain Hornady loads in my 6mm Remington. In the 6mm, it is easy to load it to 3000 fps and it can be pushed close to 3,200. It is a deer smoker, too.

Lots of good info on here from obviously experienced .270 shooters.

This morning I shot the RL17 again and I think I'll stay with IMR4831. It shoots 3/4 inch usually and always under 1 inch for sure. The RL17 has been consistently just over an inch.
I'll break out the crony in the morning......

This morning I shot the RL17 again and I think I'll stay with IMR4831. It shoots 3/4 inch usually and always under 1 inch for sure. The RL17 has been consistently just over an inch.
I'll break out the crony in the morning......

RL 17 seems to love the 06 case, but after playng with 5 or so pounds, I've only got two loads that I'm happy with, and one of those needs some work.

It's perfect for heavy for caliber bullets and does step it up to some impressive velocities, with little sign of pressure, but it also shows some pressure signs that should start to worry folks if they get too fast and furious.

It loves my 35 whelen, and it seems to think the 7mm mauser with 154's is okay (that load development will continue next week when I get back home). If I can get 2800 fps w/ the 154's out of a 7mm mauser, and keep it to an inch or so, then that'll certainly be the goto load. If not, then we're going to get the chamber ackleyed and set back a little to see if that will help the throat issue and get me back on track with it.

Might give the 4831sc a chance as well.

130 vs 140 for .270

hi,, i have used both Nosler bullets, with IMR 4350 dupont.. With neck shots in the timber at less than 100 yds, both bullet weights passed clean through, the bulls dropped dead, and didnt know the difference between 130 or 140.. and thats a ballistic tip. OYOA is great show, I would like to tell Randy some travel stories too... Looking forward to October 2nd season this year, just got my tag in the mail.
good luck to all
Mike:)

I've got this thing shooting' awesome now...
I bought the gun on the cheap, used but in nice shape. 700 ADL Remington. Tossed the 13 dollar B&C stock in the trash and bought an older adl stock on GB. Bedded it and put on a Weaver 2 - 10, 50 mm. Also used.
Now don't start yelling at me.....
My final load is 59 1/2 of IMR4831 with 130 Accubond @ 3175 fps. Shoots inside of a nickel every time. No pressure signs even with the soft Nosler brass.
It seems like the faster I went the tighter it shoots. This was supposed to be a back up gun, now I'm haveing second thoughts......:confused:

I have used to a great deal of power and accuracy the following load:
Ruger m77 .270
H4831 57.5
Speer grand slam 150gr
3.250 coal
Load shoots .75 moa off of a sand bag and rear bag.

My last .270 had a pretty long throat, so I could seat my bullets out a tad further. It shot well with 62gr H4831sc/130 Hornady SP, R26/160PT, R23/150 NBT and the 110TTSX/Hunter powders.

Haven't loaded for a 270 much but have used H4831 and H4831sc. Like H4831sc, meter's better. As I understand it they are both the same powder but sc grains are just shorter for easier measuring. Not sure I understand why the make both if they are the same!

I used to load for a friend who used his 270 to shoot a lot of bulls with a load I worked up with his rifle. This is what I worked up for him. Of course start lower and work up.

Winchester brass

H4831SC 59.0 grs. 130 grain Nosler Accubonds and Partitions. Both use the same load and shoot to almost the same point of impact and with the same accuracy results. He's mostly using the Accubonds though. He took several deer, antelope, and for or five bull elk at up to 450 yards. It worked for him.

Federal 215 match magnum primer

Just bought a pound of H4831 for my 270, the only jar i found in over 100 miles. Hard to justify $26 to ship it.

I haven't tried the 4831 series of powder for my 270, have been using either IMR or H-4350 with great results. As for the using the 130gr. bullet on large game, that's all I've ever used, mainly the Barnes TTSX and lately dabbling with the 129gr LRX both with excellent results and excellent accuracy.

I started out using IMR 4831 (55gr/139 Hornady sp) in my first .280, down in East, TX. It shot great at warm temps ( when i worked up to it) and even around freezing later that winter. I used tons of IMR 4350 in my first 7mm Rem Mag and same thing. I used CCI 250 back then. Later in life, in OK, I worked up some loads in an old 1917 Enfield 30-06 with IMR 4350. I used all Sierra bullets ( accurate and cheap, I was in Bible School so was just playing at the range) I shot out to 275 yds ( extent of the range) in hot summer and later that winter around freezing and a bit colder, zero never changed. I had no chrono, but couldn't tell any diff. I used Remington cases ( once fired range pick ups, but I was learning about prepping brass , this was 1988.) all Pro Hunters (flat base) , 59/150; 58/165; 57/180 and 55/200 gr. I had some vertical stringing, so went to CCI BR2 and it fixed it, so have been using them ever since! I started using H4831 ( later SC) in early 90's,here in Utah, along with H4350, in several calibers. My point is that the Hodgdon Extreme Powders are wonderful, but in most cartridges, if care is used in load workup, you will have no issues with IMR. Having said that, H4831 (and SC) is so good its boring, ha.

IMR 7828 is another good one because (it used to be) the factory powder in the 7mm Rem Mag. That ammo in that caliber was/is used all over the world! Hot, cold, its got to be a good one! I once used 76gr/ Winchester brass/ R22/180 Barnes/300 Win Mag in Namibia. It would get down to 20 deg or so at night, and by noon ( mind you) it was 120 deg! We had no issues, that is an honest 100 deg swing! So, alot depends on the round, but if I ever have a doubt, I go with H4831sc or H4350. I still keep some IMR powders though. I just like how it "smells" when I open the can! ha Have a ball pard!

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back