PEAX Equipment

WSMR for Oryx, baby!!!!

pointingdogsrule

All my work paid off. My cousin drew a WSMR Oryx tag for the Feb dates. He owes me big time. New Mexico.... here we come :)

good luck to all
the dog

Congrats! It's a fun hunt. Wish I had drawn. If you have space for a third let me know and I'll set aside the weekend.

Congrats! It's a fun hunt. Wish I had drawn. If you have space for a third let me know and I'll set aside the weekend.

Right now.... just me and my cousin. According to the rules you can take 3 "guests". I will be talking to others who have hunted the area..... "IF A GUIDE IS RECOMMENDED". For the cost of the hunt and the "once in a life time" it may be well worth the money.

You'd be welcome to come along if other "relatives" don't join in.

good luck to all
the dog

Guides can be had usually for about the same price as the tag. If you look over at MM in the New Mexico forum there are some guides that post quite a bit about oryx and show pictures with their clients. There's a top couple of guides that get called pretty quick when the results come out. If you do plan to hire a guide, I'd stay with the ones that dedicate themselves to Oryx, otherwise, I think what you get for your money is marginal experience and mostly an extra set of eyes and optics. Opening morning is quite a circus and a fun experience.

There's no doubt you gain experience in judging the critters when you hire a guide and they help ensure you shoot a mature animal. However, the biggest Oryx of each hunt aren't always killed by guided clients. There is a lot of research out there on how to judge them and Gilbert from WSMR will be sending videos to the hunter thart are pretty educational.

It's a great hunt and experience. I'm sure you guys will enjoy it.

Last edited:
All my work paid off. My cousin drew a WSMR Oryx tag for the Feb dates. He owes me big time. New Mexico.... here we come :)

good luck to all
the dog

Me too! My daughter drew last year and it was a ton of fun.

I'm hunting the Feb 22-24 hunt, how about you?

Congrats to your cousin!

Me too! My daughter drew last year and it was a ton of fun.

I'm hunting the Feb 22-24 hunt, how about you?

Congrats to your cousin!

Same dates in Rhodes Caynon. We booked the guy you hunted with last year. We'll have to try and meet up for dinner.

good luck to all
the dog

I had the same hunt a couple years ago. Same dates too. It is a awesome hunt. Provided you have good optics, know how to use them, and can commit to a lot of study on what is a big vs small oryx, you do not need a guide. I went DIY and killed a 39"+ cow. So tasty, so be careful with that meat!

Nice work!! I drew about 5-6 years ago, late Feb stallion range, first year I applied!! I kinda panicked afte I drew, $1600 tag, OIL, 24 hour drive, and no scouting. I booked with USO, it was $1250, the pard got to come for free, meals included, ate steah and lobster and drank beer for dinner. Guides were cool, guy named Turbo and another named Bart took a liken to us. A guy doesn't need a guide, but it gave me a little piece of mind. Get away from the crowds and start glassin. I ended up with a 36''x8'' bull the first day. Th epard spotted it about 2-3 miles away while eating lunch. We looked at it with his ST 80 and could tell it was a good bull. My guide didn;t want to go after it, too much work. I told him he didn't have a choice, and off we went. Smoked him at 400 yards with my 338. Good fun hunt, love to do it again sometime. Later

One more thing, don't let anyone tell you you can't get close to an oryx either. They are definitely wild and spooky, see really well and get pressured a lot, and yes, it would be a tough bowhunt with just 2 days, but with good stalking you can definitely get in range. I had some guy tell me to be prepared to shoot 700-800 yards. Hogwash! That would take all the sport out of it. I killed mine inside of 100 yards and the whole herd never knew I was there. You don't need a cannon either. The good old '06 works fine.

They are perty keen eyed critters, suppose you can get close to em if ya want.

And they are not boolit proof, though mine took a 225 hornady quartering away behind the shoulder like a champ. My guide thought I missed, no reaction what so ever, except the shwaaack of the boolit. Ol bull ran about a 100-125 yards up a steep hill, coming to a rock pinacle, stepped up on it, lowering its head for a few seconds, then cartwheeled ass over tea kettle 150-200 yards down hill!! After killing lotsa game, I still have never killed anything too dead.....

Good luck on your hunt, and have fun man. Later

I went a few years ago when my brother got a tag! I had as much fun as he did and I didn't even pull the trigger. Congrats and best of luck!

You will have fun and may see some big mulie bucks, also. Oryx are spooky, but for the most part, that country is broken enough to allow a reasonable shot. Nobody should be shooting 800 yards at an animal as tough as an Oryx.

Back when I went, I don't think they even allowed guides on the range hunts. The first one I killed cost me-I believe-$41 plus half a tank of gas. All they did was give you a briefing at the headquarters the day before. My father-in-law went with me and had a blast.

003-2.jpg

The non-typical is a cow that I killed on the once--in-a-lifetime hunt. The heavy one on the top is from a bull that was near Stallion Range and was causing some fence problems. I got called for a depredation hunt on that one and went with a game warden to find him. I also, shot a sub-adult on another depredation hunt.

I guarantee that I did not give much of that meat away!

Congrats on the tags. You will all have a great experience.

Awesome. would love to do that with the wife sometime. Need to read up on the whole how to get a tag thing. She would get a kick out of that.Good luck and hope to see some pics

you will have a great time. Weather is great at that time of year. Really do not need a guide. You can get a shot less than a 100 yards if you take your time. Have been on 4 Rhodes hunts with friends and one for myself. I would take a third person just to help getting your Oryx back to your vehicle. Good luck and enjoy.

you will have a great time. Weather is great at that time of year. Really do not need a guide. You can get a shot less than a 100 yards if you take your time. Have been on 4 Rhodes hunts with friends and one for myself. I would take a third person just to help getting your Oryx back to your vehicle. Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks to all the well wishes. 6 months away and still excited (and I am not hunting). We choose a guide (our first hunt) because we were unsure of the area. Once-in-a-lifetime we did not want to screw this up. Gives us peace of mind of how things work out there.

good luck to all
the dog

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mthunter137
Back