Caribou Gear Tarp

New guy from Montana

breaks hunter

Hello all, been a fan of the show for awhile now and finally decided to check out the site and join. There seems to be a lot of good people here with a wealth of experience and i hope to learn as much as i can and be a productive member.

I'm a fishing lure designer by trade and have been fishing the alpine lakes, creeks, and blue ribbon trout streams in Montana for the better part of 25 years.

I have spent all of my hunting career chasing whitetails in the missouri breaks. I have killed one mule deer and have never hunted elk or antelope so this year im going to expand out and try to learn how to hunt these critters. I'm looking forward to getting to know you all and learning as much as i can.

Welcome aboard Breaks Hunter! Looking forward to your posts. You'll find this forum to be the best and most informative anywhere!

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. I forgot to mention i also just took up bow hunting as well, i would love to harvest an animal with a bow someday

I'm from and still in Oregon, but my one and only whitetail came from The Breaks and I love it there, and only think of going back. Long stories and pictures are always welcome here...you must have a lot of them.

I'm from and still in Oregon, but my one and only whitetail came from The Breaks and I love it there, and only think of going back. Long stories and pictures are always welcome here...you must have a lot of them.

I haven't taken anything tremendous, mostly 4x4's in the 120" range. My best was a 5x5 that grossed around 140. I've hunted both the river bottom and up in the heavy timbered coulees and canyons looking for the small pockets of brush and willow habitat alot like big fin and I think it was oak? (Correct me if i'm wrong) did in the episode of the whitetail hunt in southeast montana.

5x5.jpg

this is my best buck so far with the badlands diablo pack for scale as i dont have a field pic, caught him in a scrub brush patch in a coulee about 1/2 mile from the river. dropped him where he stood at 80 yards with the 270

if elk hunting is in the near future,scout often,get up early,and dont get frustrated,and remember this allways,elk are the most sneaky,underhanded,fast running,beast i have ever had the opportunity to hunt for in my life,they hide in the most rugged,downright disspicable places you can ever imagine,but once you get hooked,you will neaver stop hunting the wapiti.:eek:

Any pics of a lure you have designed?

Unfortunately due to lame confidentiality agreements i cant post pics or the names of lures i worked on :rolleyes: But i have a design im working on now that im keeping and will post pics when i get it finished. I have worked with several companies with Thomas Cyclone and Mepps being the more notable companies

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back