Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

New guy from Oregon

Joe Hulburt

I just found my way to this site a few days ago and figured I should introduce myself...

I live on the Oregon coast with my wife and two dogs. We have 3 boys who are all accomplished hunters which is cause for constant pride on my part. The older two are out on there own so I am finding myself with more time to hunt and a little more flexibility in what hunts I can take. :)

Hunting for me consists of archery hunting Roosevelt elk, archery or rifle hunting blacktail deer and spring black bear for the most part. In addition is an occasional trip to the dry side of the state when a tag finds it's way to me. We try and do at least one out of state DIY hunt each year and OYOA is one of the top outdoor programs I look forward to seeing as it has helped a lot in opening up my eyes to what is available out there for the average working class family.

I enjoy large antlers/skulls and horns but they by no way define a successful hunt for me. We love cooking game and eating healthy and that will always be the primary focus for me. Did I mention I love large antlers??? :)

I hope to be able to contribute and learn a little here!

Welcome aboard, Joe!

Look forward to reading your hunt stories and pic's!

I'm also from Oregon. Sounds like we have a lot in common...blacktails and rosies in the Coast Range, and hunting with my son when I can. You do steelhead, salmon, or sea-run cutthroats? Spring bears in the Coast Range sounds interesting.

Long hunting stories are very popular here. Love to hear them all.

Welcome to the site, has been great to me so far, hope you have the same experience.

Thanks for the welcome all. I think I might recognize a name or two from elsewhere in cyberspace. :)

Here are some pics from 2011. All DIY and all public land! Sorry if you've already seen 'em but I'm sure most of you haven't.

In early May I called this spring bear in to 100 yards and killed him with my old 30-30. I gave my .270 to my oldest son when he turned 12 and have been primarily archery hunting but decided to drag the old Model 94 out and put a little 2.5 power Scout Scope on it this spring. It worked well! :cool:
IMG_4374.jpg

Archery season was a blast even though I wasn't able to connect on the big bull I was chasing I learned a little more and was able to put some meat in the freezer on my last day to hunt.
IMG_4406.jpg

Blacktail season came and I was way too excited to get out with the old 30-30 again and killed this little buck opening day. I love big antlers but have an itchy trigger finger. :eek:
IMG_4412.jpg

The family decided to spend Thanksgiving in Northern Idaho this year and I was able to kill my first whitetail buck as was my youngest son. My sons was bigger but I am posting mine! :D
IMG_0327.jpg

The first day in Idaho I was able to punch my first wolf tag! I killed her with the old 30-30 as well. Sorry for the less than tasteful picture but I was pretty excited to help thin out a way overpopulated wolf pack. We have a few great shots but my son is trying to publish a story about wolves and our hunt and doesn't want the good ones on the net yet. Hopefully soon as she was a beautiful animal and this wolf dance picture sure doesn't do her justice.

IMG_0192copy.jpg

I'm also from Oregon. Sounds like we have a lot in common...blacktails and rosies in the Coast Range, and hunting with my son when I can. You do steelhead, salmon, or sea-run cutthroats? Spring bears in the Coast Range sounds interesting.

Long hunting stories are very popular here. Love to hear them all.

I do a lot of salmon and sturgeon fishing and some ocean fishing. I work at a fish hatchery and handle literally tons of steelhead and to be honest don't have much desire to mess with them on my day off.

Spring bear hunting in the coast range has treated me well. I have killed 3 in the last 4 years and could have killed one the year I didn't but passed as he was too little. Lots of bears around!

Great looking pile of critters there, and excellent hero shots. I'll give you a pass on the wolf photo. ;)

welcom-from a hunter who loves to hunt and who allso lives in the great state of oregon,me and my wife,and my two dogs,live in portland,my wifes family lives in the dalls,and tighvalley,we deer hunt in mt hood national forrest,on the other side of estacada,and we elk hunt in the white river area,i hunt cougar,bear,and others as well,i sure do love the sports pack,it gives me and my wife a variety of hunting choices.:)

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back