Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

OYOA at the Western Hunting Expo - SLC

Compared to most years, Don Peay and crew were pretty quiet. I usually see Don strutting around the expo at least 2-3 times. I never saw him once. I did see Rossi in the hotel lobby, talking a bunch of crap to perhaps the only 2-3 people that are still his friend.

The MTSFW booth may as well have been the "lets condone poaching booth". Pathetic isnt strong enough to describe that abortion.

I also walked straight up to the WYSFW booth and introduced myself to Bob Wharff, the Executive Director of WYSFW, as "Buzz Hettick, the guy that busts your balls on Monster Muleys all the time".

Mr. Wharff and I had a spirited 2 hour conversation about SFW and some bills that are going to be brought up in the next couple weeks in Wyoming. I will say that Bob is pretty well up to speed on the issues and is at least well versed in Wyomings issues. I believe he's not right on many of them, but he thinks the same about my stances on some as well. I also talked with another guy from the group, who seemed like a decent enough guy, but I ran circles around him with facts. Its pretty embarrassing when a WYSFW rep doesnt even know how many hunters and anglers there are in the state of Wyoming (he claimed there were only "around 15,000 hunters in Wyoming". He also thought the biggest reason that hunters were losing interest in hunting was because, "It costs too much"...

Then...and this one is big IMO. I talked with some dirtbag from Casper that is going to start a SFW branch in Nevada within the next year. He flat told me he was going to make a run at snagging and getting as many commissioner and governors tags as he could in Nevada. He also stated that he is going to use as much of the money as he can for bounties on coyotes. He is also going to push for lions to be moved to predator status with "shoot on sight" status and hopefully no limits or licenses required. You can only imagine how that conversation went between he and I. I wished him luck and told him he'd need it as I would do everything in my power to see him fail in Nevada...and thats a promise he'll find out I'm a little serious about. He was also totally against the RMEF and MDF and said both groups were worthless to issues in Nevada and had never done anything but take money from Nevada Sportsmen. Real quality guy.

While Wharff and his 2 buddies were there I also told them that the North American Model and the public having equal access to wildlife is important enough to me that I would figuratively, and if (backed into a corner), literally, bloody noses and loosen teeth over...and that I wasnt afraid of having my nose bloodied or teeth loosened either.

I also talked quite a while with a group I recently joined, Backcountry Hunters and Anglers and met 3 of their board members from AK, CO, and UT. Seems to be a great group that gets the value of public access, land eithics and DIY hunting.

Also met some interesting characters like Jim Baichtal who hunted muskox last year in the same place I'm going this week. Turns out I also know his neighbor...small world.

Also got a chance to meet up with some of the riff-raff from hunttalk as well. It was great to see all the people that stopped by Randy's booth and almost every conversation started with, "I really like your show, you hunt how I hunt"......and then it was off to the races with stories of public land DIY hunting. I'm sure Randy has to know that his efforts are panning out every single time he heard that.

Even though I oppose the reason for that expo, oppose SFW/BGF, I still go to exchange information and learn what I can. There is value in letting them talk themselves in circles...just push their buttons a little and you'll find out plenty.

Thats my take.

Last edited:
While Wharff and his 2 buddies were there I also told them that the North American Model and the public having equal access to wildlife is important enough to me that I would figuratively, and if (backed into a corner), literally, bloody noses and loosen teeth over...and that I wasnt afraid of having my nose bloodied or teeth loosened either.

Now there's a reason to go next year. I'm in.

Expo Review

Hahaha, Very nice review Buzz.

Did this Wharff expalin what exactly was in these bills he was proposing? Include stealing any auction tags? That has become a new factor in where & when I burn my hard-earned bonus points first.

I happened to be looking at the SFW website and notice Nevada was not hit up yet by SFW. Wondered how long that would take.

http://www.sfw.net/chapters/

Please excuse AZSFW from being included on this chapter directory. They need to lay low for a while due to rape accusations.

You know, when Andrew Jackson was elected as our 7th President, he ran on a platform of working for the "common man." He appealed to those in the "west" and fought against aristocrats and the sense of entitlement that the wealthy had. Not to mention he was our first President born in a log cabin. I don't know if Randy was born in a log cabin, but I am seeing some other correlations.... just sayin... :)

It always blown my mind the support the expo gets from utah residents that are waiting years to draw a tag while they watch the same rich guys buy tags year after year to hunt where they are waiting to hunt maybe once or twice in a lifetime. Its also amazing how much this virus is starting and trying to spread to other states.

Too bad that most of the Utah folks who probably represent the bulk of attendees at the EXPO don't boycott or picket the friggin thing! One year would probably be all it would take for SFW to lose it's azz at the thing and they would probably be gone for good!!!

Good account, Buzz. I joined Backcountry Hunters and Anglers a couple of years ago but have not been active with them - they had a get together Saturday evening at the RMEF convention and I got to meet some of them. Good people and doing good work.

Buzz, the only riff raff i saw was that poor young woman in the grey dress, or what was left of it. LOL

Good seeing you and chatting for a while!

I was also as buzz mentioned appalled at how the MTSFW sat there while i collected my $100 check from them and asked me why i only shot one wolf??? SERIOUSLY??? I politely said, "well, because you can only have one tag"!

THey sat there in open public stating how they know particular ranchers and guys that have shot 30+ wolves but aren't reporting them, which is exactly what needs to happen....

All i can say, is i'm glad i just took $100 of their funding away:)

Buzz, the only riff raff i saw was that poor young woman in the grey dress, or what was left of it. LOL

I have no idea what you're talking about in regard to the grey dress...:D

Good chatting with you and Drake as well...

Topgun 30-06 said:
Big Fin, with your permission, I'd like to C/P your analysis of the convention on 1/2 dozen different sites I regularly visit to get the movement started. I'd like to start with the MM site, or maybe you would like to put it over there on the site since you are somewhat of a regular over there.

Post away. Anyone, anywhere.

Wonder how many MT guys know SFW in UT is putting Denny Rehberg forward as their guy. They are raising money for him among their power base. Anyone who thinks they are doing that fund raising without intent of calling in some favors needs to wake up.

So, if you want SFW running MT politicians and policy, send SFW your money and vote for their guys.

If you get a chance, look at the Federal Election Commission reports and you will see who else is being supported by the money stream coming from this UT tag windfall.

Here is a link to just one small sample. Look at some of the donations made on 09/22/10 to FRIENDS FOR HARRY REID.

http://www.city-data.com/elec2/10/elec-BOUNTIFUL-UT-10.html

I attended the expo and was very disappointed. I've attended this expo for the past 5 or so years because it is close to home, but I don't know that I will attend again. I moved to Utah about 8 years ago and can't believe the power that SFW has here. Protect your states MT, AZ, etc if you care about equal access to public tags.

Thanks FIN for giving your input. Hunting rights are worth fighting for and I don't like the direction things are headed.

I am regretting my attendance at this expo over the past years, as I have only contributed to the monster.

Funny, Fin. All that cash, and Harry Reid still didn't do what they wanted. :D

Great accounting. You should put it on Outdoor Wire, etc.

I saw ol' "Coke Bottle Glasses" following the grey dress out of his hotel room on Sat. morning. He was wearing an OYOA t-shirt..must have been the one he swiped when Fin had his back turned. :)

Post away. Anyone, anywhere.

Wonder how many MT guys know SFW in UT is putting Denny Rehberg forward as their guy. They are raising money for him among their power base. Anyone who thinks they are doing that fund raising without intent of calling in some favors needs to wake up.

So, if you want SFW running MT politicians and policy, send SFW your money and vote for their guys.

If you get a chance, look at the Federal Election Commission reports and you will see who else is being supported by the money stream coming from this UT tag windfall.

Here is a link to just one small sample. Look at some of the donations made on 09/22/10 to FRIENDS FOR HARRY REID.

http://www.city-data.com/elec2/10/elec-BOUNTIFUL-UT-10.html

Bait is in the water...we'll see who bites.

Like these: MR. RYAN BENSON (SPORTSMEN FOR FISHING AND WILDLIFE/), (Zip code: 84010) $1000 to NATIONAL REPUBLICAN CONGRESSIONAL COMMITTEE on 08/24/

DON PEAY (SPORTSMEN FOR FISH & WILDLIFE/FOUND), (Zip code: 84010) $2250 to FRIENDS FOR HARRY REID on 09/22/10

SUE PEAY (N/A/HOMEMAKER), (Zip code: 84010) $2250 to FRIENDS FOR HARRY REID on 09/22/10

There are also a bunch of other lines with their names giving $1K or more to candidates and I'll bet that is all out of their own personal kitty. Yea, right!

Last edited:
Back