Caribou Gear

Best week for elk rut in SW Colorado?

wm burwell

I have bow hunted the week of Labor Day and the last week of bow in Colorado. Both weeks can be good, but I was wondering if any had any better luck in a different week or does it really matter. Is it just pot luck?

not sure about colorado but in oregon rut kicks in good around sept 15th and trails out about oct 5th,,,of course there are variables to consider.

I've hunted in the Sangre de Cristo's kinda South Central Col - during Muzzleloader for a few years 10000- 11000 ft el. It definitely can very, but i think generally mid to latter part of Sept is the best bet. Quite a few factors like weather, pressure, elevation can change things from area to area. Seems when muzzleloader season is winding down the elk rut is steadily picking up in my opinion. Last year i had a muzzleloader deer tag in unit 61 - el 8000 - 9000 & the elk rut was nowhere in sight yet. Good luck!

There's no elk in Colorado...it's a giant conspiracy on the part of Colorado's government to draw people in to spend lots of money...yeah...that's it

I've hunted in the Sangre de Cristo's kinda South Central Col - during Muzzleloader for a few years 10000- 11000 ft el. It definitely can very, but i think generally mid to latter part of Sept is the best bet. Quite a few factors like weather, pressure, elevation can change things from area to area. Seems when muzzleloader season is winding down the elk rut is steadily picking up in my opinion. Last year i had a muzzleloader deer tag in unit 61 - el 8000 - 9000 & the elk rut was nowhere in sight yet. Good luck!

I'm pretty sure the elk skipped the rut last year

Sept. 12-25 is a great time to be in the elkwoods! Keep moving until you find them! Give yourself as many days as you possibly can, most cases 5 isn't enough!

ElkNut1

I agree 100% with elknuts time line.Those are the dates I want to be out there.5 days is a little short too.sometimes it takes that long just to figure them out

The last couple years have been so warm during archery season it's crazy. Even during muzzleloader in the 3rd week of September, it's still been unseasonably warm. Water has been hard to find in alot of areas due to increasing drought.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back