MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Montana Deer - Most important hunt of the season

Why not just pay an outfitter if you start to cave in on your principles they you might as well go all the way. You are admitting they are to old to hunt unless they get special consideration.

Why not just pay an outfitter if you start to cave in on your principles they you might as well go all the way.

Come again? :confused:

Why not engage your brain before you type?

Caved in on principles? You might want to pull your head out here where the air is fresh. My first principle in life is to try be a good friend, father, and husband. Next is to try do things that make life better for others. If you have a problem with those principles, then I guess you should be prepared to have problems, given most the guys on this site, and most the people I hunt with, share similar principles.

Let me get this straight - You think I am supposed to let one of my long-time hunting buddies sit at home because when I offer to take him hunting his health and age don't allow him to go where he once did.

I guess this is how the conversation would go if you were talking to some old boy.

billyb, "Ole you want to go deer hunting this year?'

Ole, "I would like to Sport, but I just can't get around very well anymore? As much as I love deer hunting, I think I have shot my last buck."

billyb, "Well $%@* you old guys. Life's a bitch, eh. Too bad for you. All those times you took me out to your duck blinds doesn't mean chit."​

Your comment is by far the dumbest ass thing I thing I have read on this site in the last year. If you can't see the value in what that episode was about, you need some serious adjustment to your priorities.

You are admitting they are to old to hunt unless they get special consideration.

Yeah, he is getting too old to get around real well. Doesn't mean he doesn't still have that desire and passion to hunt. For him, that hunt was a serious effort. He sat in a couple days of cold windy weather, with his aching 83 year-old body doing all it could to hang in there. Probably more gumption and courage for him to do that than you can understand. For a once-proud mountain hunter who has shot more bull elk than many have even seen, it was probably a hit to his pride and dignity to accept the fact that he might need some help even to go on a whitetail hunt.

I guess we can be selfish asses who make old folks feel bad about what time has done to their bodies and try to insult their dignity, or we can understand that it happens and do all we can to help them continue to share the hunt. I know what my choice is.

By the way, the guy was a paratrooper in Korea, spent some cold winters in a God-forsaken part of Asia, lost his brother in the same war, came home and was a smokejumper for the Forest Service. In addition to being one of my dearest friends, he has earned the respect of most everyone who knows him, myself included. He is a well renowned decoy carver who has helped Ducks Unlimited raise over $300,000 with decoys he has donated.

You state I am becoming unprincipled in the way I hunt. Well, guys like that are going to get every bit of my ambition and energy to do something special for them, given all they have done for us.

And by the way, it was self-guided. It was On Your Own. It was on private land that does not require payment, other than building a relationship with the landowners; something I suspect would be difficult for a person spewing your perspectives on life and hunting.

Just in case you try to edit your dumbass words, I am copying them below, exactly as you wrote it, so nothing is lost in translation.

Why not just pay an outfitter if you start to cave in on your principles they you might as well go all the way. You are admitting they are to old to hunt unless they get special consideration.

Next year you will be shooting animals on high fenced areas since you need the footage. I can remove you from my dvr since you have sold out

Billyb if your here to put people down and try to get under peoples skin you may as well leave and go over to archerytalk.com and join half the A-holes over there.

It is called on your own adventures with hunting on public land, Hunting private excusive and outfitted lands is not on your own.

On Your Own Adventures is the only hunting TV show dedicated exclusively to non-guided hunting - your style of hunting. Any hunt you see on our show is a hunt you can do. It takes extra effort and cost to produce high quality hunting episodes outside of high fences or without the benefit of outfitters and the private estates that most shows depict.

But, we did it. We hope you like it. It is our best effort to tell the story of hunting as experienced by the average hunter - Reality Hunting.

This is the reason I used to watch this show because it was different when it resorts to hunting oif pen raised deer then it has lost its purpose.

You knew you were goin to get heat ovet this one and when you do you attack the messanger. I am not the only one that thinks giving into the outfitters will not help access to the public.

ugh!

You can't fix "stupid" guys! Don't bother trying...

I loved this thread and found myself laughing out loud, with a tear running down my cheek remembering old times with old friends and planning next month's hunt in my head for my dad and daughters. Randy , you are to be commended!! We have plenty of season for ourselves, so when we can take the young and old hunting we need to do so. Like you said, life is also about helping others.

Great job!! and thanks for telling the story on your website. My cable provider does not carry The Sportsman Channel any more, so I can't see your episodes on TV.

Keep doing the right thing!! One of which may be for all of us to just ignore billy....

learn to spell?!? That's rich coming from someone with spelling and grammatical skills as good as yours... ha!

On Your Own Adventures is the only hunting TV show dedicated exclusively to non-guided hunting - your style of hunting. Any hunt you see on our show is a hunt you can do. It takes extra effort and cost to produce high quality hunting episodes outside of high fences or without the benefit of outfitters and the private estates that most shows depict.

But, we did it. We hope you like it. It is our best effort to tell the story of hunting as experienced by the average hunter - Reality Hunting.

This is the reason I used to watch this show because it was different when it resorts to hunting oif pen raised deer then it has lost its purpose.

Wow. It is apparent you are now just jumping on this site to be a dick. There is no irony that this episode aired during the Thanksgiving holiday and there is no need for Randy to justify why he choose to do this hunt. As in life, exceptions are made all of the time and this was a no brainer.

You can google OYOA's mission statement, you can research for quotes that Randy has said in years past about hunting public land and you can try and argue how this episode contradicts everything you found. None of it matters to 99.9% of us who frequent this site.

You are still just being a dick. Maybe a bastard child? No dad, uncles, grandfathers? Just a mouthy prick?

Beat it.

Hey billyb. Humor me and show me what this hunt had to do with any outfitting. Not sure where you are coming up with that.

You seem to think that guys who hunt on their own on private land are not hunting on their own, according to your standards. Feel free to think so. In most parts of the country, private land is the reality of hunting. Guys hunting on their own on those private lands are a huge part of hunting in this country. Personally, I make no distinction between those who hunt on their own on private land from those who hunt on their own on public land. I happen to live where there is a lot of public land. Many are not so lucky.

The fact that our show has chosen to depict On Your Own hunting on "accessible lands" does not mean we only hunt public lands. We hunt lands where we do not have to pay a trespass fee and where we can go self-guided. That is most often public land, though it might be private lands enrolled in the Walk-in hunting program of Kansas, HMAs of Wyoming, BMAs of Montana, or in this case, private land where many people have had the chance to hunt without having to pay a fee.

Nor does our depiction of On Your Own hunting on accessible lands mean that we feel that is the only type of On Your Own hunting. It just happens to be the manner in which we present our TV episodes, knowing full well there is a lot of other hardcore On Your Own Hunting that goes on in this country.

For those who have to pay a fee or lease private ground just to have a place to hunt, they would probably like to have a different situation for access. Yet, that is not the case in many places. They have two choices - pay the fee, or don't hunt.

On Your Own hunting has many different flavors, though it seems you believe On Your Own hunting is only as you define it.

And, none of that matters for this episode. This episode was about something far more important. If you want to be upset because of your disagreement with this episode, then knock yourself out.

So, what is the outfitter connection to this episode? You keep bringing it up, so why don't you connect those dots for us?

#*^@#* you asshole

You could have just said this on your first post and saved Randy a lot of typing.

When you are old enough to buy alcohol you can drink up your courage to say that to any one in this thread in person and take the beating you deserve. I might be a little slower in 10 years, but I'll wait.:hump::D

What an idiotic statement. Like Fin said, engage your brain.

Fin- don't waste any more time responding to this. I believe most everyone on this site know's what your about. Keep up the good work.

The fact that our show has chosen to depict On Your Own hunting on "accessible lands" does not mean we only hunt public lands. We hunt lands where we do not have to pay a trespass fee and where we can go self-guided. That is most often public land....

I think this says it all. Keep up the great work Randy!

Back