Caribou Gear

MT high country mule deer

Flatrock

Just curious, does anyone here chase mule deer early in September with a bow above timberline in Montana? That's something I'd absolutely love to do but have never heard or read much about it in Montana. And since non-residents can't go into wilderness in Wyoming, Montana would be the best option for me. Thanks to anyone who has some info.

Most people elect to hunt the rut instead thanks to Montana's generous season structure.

It can be done, but I think its not more popular because Montana doesn't really have much of the "Wyoming-type" high country. In western MT where most of the records have come from, most of the mountain ranges top out at 6,000-7,000 feet and get quite a bit of rain in the summers. Because of that, trees often choke hillsides right up to the top making spot and stalk hunting difficult. In many places it is impossible to get "above timberline" Like I said, hunters just wait for the rut.

The parts of Montana that do have more high country (SW and South Central) also have more elk (aka less deer) and average trophy quality. So again, most hunters wait for the rut...why put in the effort to kill a 160" buck in a high basin when you can shoot him as he sniffs a doe's rear--completely oblivious to your presence--two months later?

Your logic is not lost on me, I've often wondered the same thing, but I think thats the answer.

I'm going to agree with bellydeep and say that the high country around Montana is not as "ideal" for hunting mule deer. In Colorado and Wyoming it seems as though above timberline their is much more grass and feed, whereas above timberline in Montana seems mostly rock and shale. This is somewhat a generalization but overall it seems pretty true.

VDO - I'm really curious about this myself. The answers aren't inspiring though, but make sense. Have you considered calling some wildlife biologists to see what they have to say?

I think some of the island ranges in Central Montana would be a lot better suited for it than the Western part. For the most part though, I agree with what's been said.

If you go for it, you probably won't have much for competition.

I've heard of it being done, but its certainly not gonna look like what David Long does in Colorado, Utah, or Nevada

It's on my bucket list. Hiking through some of the wilderness area's in western MT & while bear hunting, we have seen some HUGE mule deer. The only only problem with me every year is I'm addicted to elk & have not been able to shoot an elk early enough to go after the mule deer while the weather is half way decent. Haven't even seen anybody out doing it, but someday I will!

Dreamin, that wouldn't be a bad idea to call a biologist to try and get some more info.

Big O, if I ever get serious about it, I might look you up for some suggestions!!

I guess Montana isn't the ideal state for it but it'd sure be fun to do. I'll either have to do it there or go down to Colorado. Sure wish Wyoming didn't give non-resident's the shaft with their wilderness rule...

There are some big bucks in the Bob Marshall wilderness up above the tree line.

Just curious, does anyone here chase mule deer early in September with a bow above timberline in Montana? That's something I'd absolutely love to do but have never heard or read much about it in Montana. And since non-residents can't go into wilderness in Wyoming, Montana would be the best option for me. Thanks to anyone who has some info.

I'm going to give it a shot this year. Doing lots of research and digging, there are some areas where a guy can get above timberline, and also some good basins right at timberline with what looks to be good feed. As summer gets going in July I'll be scouting as much as time allows and I'm going to spend the first week of archery trying to get it done. After the first week or so of archery my focus will turn to Elk and my wife's first year hunting with a bow, so my big goal is to get her atleast three shot opportunities and to stick a nice mature Mulie up in some nasty country. We'll see what happens

Ive shot several above timberline. Not all timberline is created equal. Ive yet to go into a mnt range and not find deer in the alpine. DONT expect to find CO/WY class deer .

Last edited:
Ive shot several above timberline. Not all timberline is created equal though. Ive yet to go into a mnt range and not find deer in the alpine though. DONT expect to find CO/WY class deer though.

This is good advice here. Montana alpine will have nowhere near the number of deer you would find in say, the Ruby Wilderness of Nevada or the ranges of Western Wyoming.

There are good bucks. They are above treeline. However, there IS a LOT of alpine you will have to sort through that doesn't really have all that many deer. There are localized gold mines.

+1 to belly's original response. I hunt SW MT and am above timberline much during Sept, but its chasing elk and Mule deer are incidental. I see some, but never one that is so big I break off the chase for elk.

I've heard of some savvy old timers that hunt pre-rut bucks​ right at the timber line in the Swan and Mission Ranges. Never tried it myself. It does sound like fun.

There are some pretty decent Bucks in the Missions. Problem is they spend 95% of their time on the Flathead Indian reservation. Ive seen a group of very nice Mulies several years now but have still yet to actually put a hunt together for one. Like others have said Elk is priority that time of year. While scouting high in the Missions bring your flypole. Some fun lakes to fish too if you're into that.

The Bitterroots from Darby to Florence along the wilderness border can be okay as well. You can draw a Wilderness tag there but you have to hunt your deer there and you cannot hunt one anyplace else. I had a buddy way back in High School before the tags went this way shot a huge non-typical mule deer up a canyon directly west of Hamilton. It was a dandy buck. I've also heard of a few coming from this area I am speaking about. I've been up St. Mary's peak numerous times and I've never seen a really good buck, and when I drew a Mountain Goat tag for Kootenai Creek I scouted and hunted hard. I started the first of June scouting and continued into the hunting season clear up till the last week of November. I saw only a few deer tracks and most of the deer I did see were down along the valley front. It does look like it could hold a huge old buck or two but they are far between deer. It's beautiful back in there and those canyons and ridges are brutal. I loved every minute of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back